"Torture Test" cringe videos = childhood nostalgia for Millennial

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bdubs808

"Torture Test" cringe videos = childhood nostalgia for Millennial

Post by Bdubs808 »

I grew up in the 90s and early two thousands, which puts me (and my generation) in a weird spot. Many of us remember transitioning from pen and paper to IMac training (failed). They still taught us cursive. I didn't get a smartphone until I was in my 20s.
We had antennas on our TVs still, and we watched the TVs get more thin and streamlined as the years quickly passed.
We also had the very first Cold Steel testing videos, before the YouTube.
I know for a lot of you those are just ridiculous videos; grown men swinging around warhammers fighting cardboard ninjas... I get it, because it is totally ridiculous.
But when you're 14 years old and have grown up with an interest in pocket knives, and you watch your first PROOF video, man it was the coolest thing ever. Kids are naturally prone to breaking stuff, lets be honest. And the marketing catered to that idea, even if it wasn't the intention. I bought my first CS when I was 16. And I've owned many since. I actually still like the videos, just like these Millennials https://youtu.be/p13Z4Skn5XU

But as I got older and learned about a different level of quality, I got into other brands, obviously Spyderco being the standout.
Much like my generation had embraced Nu-Metal in our youth, now some have grown to appreciate classical music. I'll embrace the future, and always enjoy the (often times cringey) past.
Mike Blue

Re: "Torture Test" cringe videos = childhood nostalgia for Millennial

Post by Mike Blue »

Yeah, a good blast from the past always brings a tear to my eye: https://youtu.be/1s0dRcdyizU
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Cold Steel really dropped the ball when they discontinued CTS-XHP. But, I hear that they are going to be releasing some knives and kukris in 3V, so they are still in the game. Their 3V offerings are pretty good. Their "proof videos" are not all terrible. I know that I'm not going to torture test a knife that I buy, but hey, go right ahead and bend it till it breaks for my entertainment. Let me see what it can do!

There are many dozens of bladesmiths and manufacturers making high quality knives. Now whether or not you can afford to commission one from a bladesmith is the question. Manufacturer ZT seems to be resting on it's laurels for now...not much happening there, but they deliver a decent product. I think they had a major fail with serious users with the 0223.

Where Spyderco shines is superior steels, pretty good assembly and wide availability for an unreal price.

I cannot imagine what it would cost for me to commission knives like the Stuart Ackerman Sustain in CPM 20CV, a Province in CPM-4V, or dozens of other Spyderco knives in rare steels. At least 3x to 6x the price I'd imagine, IF you can find anyone to take up the challenge. Spyderco is easily in the top 3 of knife manufacturers.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will confess to secret liking the proof videos. Fun stuff. I wish I could be the one doing all of that stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I also must admit I enjoyed some of those old Cold Steel Proof videos, and I’m a tail-end “baby boomer,” not a millennial. It was fun watching them push to the limits and/or destroy their own products. I haven’t watched any of the ones in recent years, though.

Personally, even as a boy, I never really got into the whole ‘breaking stuff’ period that many other boys get into. Especially with knives. When I got my first pocketknives, I had to earn my allowance and pay for them myself, which is one reason I used my knives but also took care of them, and never tried to push them beyond the purposes for which they were made.

Jim