enuff 2!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: enuff 2!!!

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:11 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:29 pm

While the handle scales of Enuff 1 and Enuff 2 seem to be of the exact same thickness, the metal inside the handle should be one mm thicker on the 1 (due to the 4mm vs 3mm blade stock) - and so of course thus the entire handle of the "1" should be one mm thicker

Can you feel that difference in handle thickness? Does it make a difference in comfort and/ ergos?
The scales on each are exactly the same thickness but, as you note, they are screwed onto different thicknesses of steel.

The Enuff Salt felt all of 4mm thick in my hand when I first got it. But compared to my new Enuff2, it feels even thicker than its extra millimeter would suggest. Conversely, the Enuff2’s lost millimeter makes it feel much thinner than the Enuff Salt.

With the Enuff2 “43% longer and 25% thinner” than the OG (so says Spydiewiki), I suspect their dramatically different blade-profiles are playing games with my tactile perceptions.

Regarding comfort/ergos, it’s too early for me to say. I will say neither one puts me off, but, because I see this series as offering just enough knife to get a small job done quickly, I imagine lengthy or hard use, and especially both, will produce hotspots.

Thanks for the reply and insight!

I had an Enuff ("1") Clip point, and its handle comfort and ergos were amazing.

I figured already that the thinner Enuff 2 handle would sacrifice a bit of that, but still am surprised that it can be felt as much as you describe.

If I get an Enuff 2 and feel the same: Could be that I´d put in some extra liners (and use longer scale screws of course) to make the handle as least as thick as the one on the original Enuff.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Mrj wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:51 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:06 am
I can’t believe I don’t have any enuffs yet… I’m thinking Santa might just have to pick one or two up along his route this year…I’ve handled both but each time my budget has been blown…always wanted the Salt version so I might have someone call the North Pole for that one…I can drive my own reindeer to a local shop for the k390 🤔 🎅 😉
SE $168 when signed in
https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... blade-frn/
🙏👊
AutoRock

Post by AutoRock »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:11 pm

If I get an Enuff 2 and feel the same: Could be that I´d put in some extra liners (and use longer scale screws of course) to make the handle as least as thick as the one on the original Enuff.
This is my thinking as well. That handle looks easy to disassemble, so adding the new liners should be pretty straightforward. And if longer screws are hard to find, I could just epoxy the handle/liners/scales together and put small improvised rivets through the screw holes.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Out of curiosity, is there a rationale explanation gor the relative expensiveness of fixed blade vs folders?
Is it purely the amount of steel (in case there is a full tang)?
I would have thougjt intuitively that there is a lot more work/pieces in a folder.
By example if we look at some of the Japanese collection, Enuff vs Pacific.

I am not as attracted to fixed blades so it works for me, just curious.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Cost of steel is a factor, you could hop on to a website like Niagara Specialty Metals and get an idea of what you'd have to pay as a small time knife maker for steel. The 2nd factor would be the bigger you make a knife the harder it is to control certain factors like warping or cracking during heat treating, more effort and more losses. 3rd factor would be the cost of shaping larger pieces of steel, more steel means more wear and tear on consumables like grinding belts and wheels. The 4th factor would be the economy of scale, less people carry fixed blade everyday so less fixed blades are sold, which means the price needs to be higher to recoup the investment of time and money to make them.
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:18 pm
Cost of steel is a factor, you could hop on to a website like Niagara Specialty Metals and get an idea of what you'd have to pay as a small time knife maker for steel. The 2nd factor would be the bigger you make a knife the harder it is to control certain factors like warping or cracking during heat treating, more effort and more losses. 3rd factor would be the cost of shaping larger pieces of steel, more steel means more wear and tear on consumables like grinding belts and wheels. The 4th factor would be the economy of scale, less people carry fixed blade everyday so less fixed blades are sold, which means the price needs to be higher to recoup the investment of time and money to make them.
Everything makes a lot of sense.

Thanks a lot.
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

Amazing knife, i just put a second edge on it since new, fresh off the stones, no stropping
My favorite trio
Attachments
20231217_203234.jpg
20231217_201806.jpg
pippi

Post by pippi »

The k390 serrated enuff 2 is exactly the outdoor knife design I've always wanted. Pretty sure I'd change nothing on it.
Nobody remembers to sharpen a knife before last-second pack loading, so it's nice to have something that never stops cutting.
And heavier knives are for people who drive to their campsites.

I have upper-percentile hand size and handle size works fine.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Shortly after this knife came out, and mine arrived. I dyed the scales and shared some pictures of it in this thread. I also mentioned then, that of course I loved this knife (in K390:), but that I was going to soon make, and put a custom sheath on it. To make it quite a bit shorter in overall carry, which makes it a much better 'pocket-dropper' fixed blade knife for me. I had some time this morning, to now upload the pictures.

Personally, I gave this knife 'fixed blade knife of the year, for 2023 :bug-red-white

I want to share these pictures, to show what this sheath shortening (7/8" or 22.225mm shorter) ends up looking like, in my pocket-dropper carry situation. :cowboy

The first four pictures will show what the Factory sheath total carry length (8.9375") looks like, and the final four pictures will show what the custom sheath total carry length (8.0625") looks like.

Aftermarket sheath >

It's hard to tell when looking at these pictures of the custom sheath, but the very bottom of the sheath is angled, so that when it's in the pocket, it is always wanting to lean back in the pocket, and not move/lean forward. Keeping it to the back of the pocket at all times. Otherwise, when walking around. A 'flat-bottom' sheath will want to lean forward at times.

How do you carry your Enuff 2? :thinking
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:25 am
Shortly after this knife came out, and mine arrived. I dyed the scales and shared some pictures of it in this thread. I also mentioned then, that of course I loved this knife (in K390:), but that I was going to soon make, and put a custom sheath on it. To make it quite a bit shorter in overall carry, which makes it a much better 'pocket-dropper' fixed blade knife for me. I had some time this morning, to now upload the pictures. ...
Nice job! That's a very efficient upgrade for EDC!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

chronovore wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:42 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:25 am
Shortly after this knife came out, and mine arrived. I dyed the scales and shared some pictures of it in this thread. I also mentioned then, that of course I loved this knife (in K390:), but that I was going to soon make, and put a custom sheath on it. To make it quite a bit shorter in overall carry, which makes it a much better 'pocket-dropper' fixed blade knife for me. I had some time this morning, to now upload the pictures. ...
Nice job! That's a very efficient upgrade for EDC!

Thank you, chronovore. It really does make for an easy carry, and quick access.

I always carry it in the full/deeper side pocket. Then when I go to use the knife, I thumb-off the sheath into the shorter outer pocket you see in the pictures. Then, when I'm done cutting, I can easily see the sheath in that short pocket for a quick and easy insertion, and click. Then I move it back over into the deeper pocket for carry again.

I have had this knife now for just two weeks short of a year, and I have still not needed to sharpen its K390 blade.
I just strop it about once a week, and it just keeps on gliding through things. My cutting life, could not be better! :cheap-sunglasses

Also, Spyderco's decision to go with a 3 mm blade on this one, was a fantastically perfect choice.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 am

I always carry it in the full/deeper side pocket. Then when I go to use the knife, I thumb-off the sheath into the shorter outer pocket you see in the pictures. Then, when I'm done cutting, I can easily see the sheath in that short pocket for a quick and easy insertion, and click. Then I move it back over into the deeper pocket for carry again.

I have had this knife now for just two weeks short of a year, and I have still not needed to sharpen its K390 blade.
I just strop it about once a week, and it just keeps on gliding through things. My cutting life, could not be better! :cheap-sunglasses

Also, Spyderco's decision to go with a 3 mm blade on this one, was a fantastically perfect choice.
You're welcome! I agree on the blade thickness. There is a lot to love here and I'll admit to being on the fence.

I'm a stainless guy and I was already struggling to justify the price on the VG-10 version before the recent increase. Not having the skills or stuff to do it myself, I also have to factor in that I'd be seeking an aftermarket sheath or sending it out to have one made. So for now, I've just been keeping an eye on the secondary market and hoping to get lucky.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

chronovore wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:28 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 am

You're welcome! I agree on the blade thickness. There is a lot to love here and I'll admit to being on the fence.

I'm a stainless guy and I was already struggling to justify the price on the VG-10 version before the recent increase. Not having the skills or stuff to do it myself, I also have to factor in that I'd be seeking an aftermarket sheath or sending it out to have one made. So for now, I've just been keeping an eye on the secondary market and hoping to get lucky.

Very good, chronovore. You keep looking. :cowboy

If you do end up getting one, and want a different sheath for it. I would point you to Eric, at https://rkcustomkydex.shop/products/spy ... 0723602588
He is in Roanoke, VA, and will do a wonderful job for you. He's the only person that I know of at this moment in time, that is now making a knife sheath for this Enuff 2.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:41 pm

If you do end up getting one, and want a different sheath for it. I would point you to Eric, at https://rkcustomkydex.shop/products/spy ... 0723602588
He is in Roanoke, VA, and will do a wonderful job for you. He's the only person that I know of at this moment in time, that is now making a knife sheath for this Enuff 2.
That's a fun coincidence. He is already my top choice.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

chronovore wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:41 pm

That's a fun coincidence. He is already my top choice.

:cheap-sunglasses
raygixxer89

Post by raygixxer89 »

olywa wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:07 pm
VG-10 works for me, but I gotta be honest, my use case for this knife involves a fair amount of exposure to wet and salty conditions. So K390 isn't my best choice. Maybe I'll go for VG-10 SE for now and hope for a Magnacut SE in the future. In either case I wish the handle were just a scosche longer. I have the Enuff Salt and it works okay, but another half inch of grip would be sweet.
Oh man, I have xl sized mitts. I hope that I can work with the handle. :anguished
raygixxer89

Post by raygixxer89 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:29 pm
Not like the much loved prybar that is my OG Enuff Salt, my newly-arrived Enuff2 K390 PE is quite the “More Than Enuff” slicer.

I can’t imagine what niche the earlier-mentioned “Enuff Already” might fill, unless it harkened to what I thought might be a good knife for military-carry (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95773#p1753135). That knife would combine the two Enuffs I now have.

But until this military-worthy Enuff3 (hey, 3=1+2) materializes, I’m now thinking (props to Tom Aiello) that my reluctant fixie-foray must now include a Jumpmaster2 (especially with its inspiration being the 82nd).
The Enuff2 and Jumpmaster2 are my first fixed Spydies. I ordered them both at the same time. The JM for the same reason as you.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Each is a winner, I think you will agree.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”