SpyOpera cqi when

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Re: SpyOpera cqi when

Post by soc_monki »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:06 pm
"CQI" is not exclusive to Spyderco.

It is a part of the design process that can be and is applied in many different industries.
It is unique to spyderco in the knife industry. It's the reason why they can't keep a large stock of parts on hand to send out to people and require you to send your knife in for some services. They can't be sure what revision your knife is until they get it in hand.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:42 pm
Mushroom wrote:

It is a part of the design process that can be and is applied in many different industries.
It is unique to spyderco in the knife industry. It's the reason why they can't keep a large stock of parts on hand to send out to people and require you to send your knife in for some services. They can't be sure what revision your knife is until they get it in hand.
It's not though.

I'm well aware of their policy to not ship parts out but that does not mean that they're the only company in the knife industry that implements CQI with their products.
-Nick :bug-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:29 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

It's not though.

I'm well aware of their policy to not ship parts out but that does not mean that they're the only company in the knife industry that implements CQI with their products.
Who else does? I'm pretty sure KAI doesn't except in extreme cases (and sometimes not even then), I don't think benchmade does. Different versions of knives yes (frn or G10 grips, Freek vs super Freek, frn or aluminum bailout).

If they're smaller makers (Hinderer for example) yes they do cqi, otherwise we wouldn't be on Gen 6 xm18s!

If all these companies do they keep it pretty low key.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

soc_monki wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:21 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:29 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

It's not though.

Who else does? I'm pretty sure KAI doesn't except in extreme cases (and sometimes not even then), I don't think benchmade does. Different versions of knives yes (frn or G10 grips, Freek vs super Freek, frn or aluminum bailout).

If they're smaller makers (Hinderer for example) yes they do cqi, otherwise we wouldn't be on Gen 6 xm18s!

If all these companies do they keep it pretty low key.
You answered your own question. Also, you're right that most companies probably keep CQI changes very low key. Spyderco is probably unique in the sense that they're incredibly transparent about the CQI they do and have even used it as a succesful marketing strategy.
-Nick :bug-red
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:36 pm
You answered your own question. Also, you're right that most companies probably keep CQI changes very low key. Spyderco is probably unique in the sense that they're incredibly transparent about the CQI they do and have even used it as a succesful marketing strategy.
I did for one company, but I see that as more evolution of the design rather than cqi. Same difference I suppose? I'm sure crk does similar things, at least now. When Chris was in the picture he was more about getting it right before release but didn't seem like he did much after except release a new model (original sebenza all the way to the 21). Now they have a ceramic lock instead of titanium.

It's funny how Kershaw doesn't seem to cqi anything. I figure if anyone would it would be Kai, because they're huge. But an 0562 from the first releases is the same as one produced today. I don't really know what you could improve on those though... Lol!

Wait... I know of one instance where Kai has done cqi. The Bareknuckle. The first run had some issues. Mine is good aside from the pivot spinning because either the hex of the bolt or the machined spot for it to fit are out of tolerance. Not an issue on my SMKW 20cv model, and should be fine on my cf/m390 sprint. So that's one example.

So yeah, others do it. Spyderco seems to constantly do it though. So there's that.

Just disregard my post... I need to get to bed along with this toddler of mine lol!