Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:10 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 pm
Never Do This One Thing in a Fight

Jim
He has a point. And as he says, PAY ATTENTION!

If I were just 18 to 25, I'd run rather than deal with these people. At 63 that is no longer an option.

I suppose things like in this video could happen anywhere but large cities are rife with people looking to viciously take people apart, maim or kill them for no reason. There are videos floating around on Instagram and Twitter of 3 women attacked over the last month in NYC, punched in the face for no reason.

We are dumping 2 properties in Chicago. One that was in the family for almost 100 years closed last week, and the other that was in the family for more than 20 years is being emptied out as I write.

I do not want to live there and my brother who is a retired Chicago cop cannot get his gf to live there. It is and isn't violence. It is hate begetting violence. People show disrespect to the law and each other at such an unusual rate that you MUST have a concealed carry firearm, or just do not go there. No amount of martial arts will keep you alive there, the inner cities in the USA are combat zones.

I do not know how many carry firearms in Chicago(for example) but there are around 600 to 650 homicides and 2,250 to 2,700 shot every year in Chicago!!!! 2,500 SHOT EVERY YEAR! Does it make sense to move there for a work opportunity? Are you delirious? It is like living in Ukraine during a war. I was walking to my doctors office in Chicago and 4 guys threatened to shoot me for walking on a sidewalk 25 feet behind them. They said I was following them!!!!

STAY OUT OF LARGE CITIES

The only people who are restricted by restrictive self-defense and CCW laws are the ones who wouldn't be using them to commit crimes. IMO, there is FULL AWARENESS of this fact, and this is being done on purpose. But that's as far as I'm going to go on that subject.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe Rogan is Lying About Bruce Lee & Steven Seagal

I agree with most of what "Golden Bell Training" says here. Except for one detail: The Judoka Hayward Nishioka was NOT from Japan; he is Japanese-American and was born in CA in 1942, where he spent his infancy in the Japanese-American internment camp at Manzanar (the same "camp" my mother and her family were interned at). He started Judo under his father, and later trained Judo at the Kodokan in Japan. But he wasn't FROM Japan. Big difference.

As far as Joe Rogan lying about Bruce Lee and Steven Seagal, I don't know if he is actually lying, or if he's just repeating the popular narrative that he's read or been told. I used to believe the story about Gene LeBell choking out Steven Seagal and the latter pooping his pants, until reliable accounts came out by people who were actually there. The same goes for LeBell's story of being the first to teach Bruce Lee how to grapple, for which there is hard evidence to the contrary.

Gene LeBell was still one of the last people you'd ever want to fight, though.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Where to start? Decent video.

I'm uncomfortable following guys like football player Aaron Rogers or Joe Rogan because they are known for drug use or the legalization of drugs. I have my reasons for my position, you do whatever you will with them.

I look at Joe Rogan as a one time small player in UFC matches, he is more well known as a UFC announcer and talk show host. I don't think of Joe Rogan as some oracle for martial arts info. I hardly ever listen to Joe Rogan.

Hayward Nishioka, Steven Segal, Bruce Lee and Gene LeBell were all real martial artists and some or all of them made movies. They are martial arts, not so much Joe Rogan. Heck I am not much of a martial artist, I did not LIVE IT 24x7x365, I was a practitioner, learned some basic skills and had some fun.

Everything in all movies is choreographed, it is make believe, it is generally not true. Some techniques in movies may be useful just as some techniques in dojos may be true. Everything is not true or real for all practitioners in dojos due to differences in the way they are attacked, the height, weight, strength and ability of the practitioners. If (the reader of this) has ever been in a dojo or street fight you would know that nothing works 100% of the time and that is why we spar. We spar and train to get the applications down and to make them more useful or to judge for ourselves the effectiveness of a technique.

I have no position on the truth or veracity of anything said or in print about something 60 years ago. I need to see the videos to get a better idea. If there are no videos then it could be complete folklore.

People like to get on Segal or Lee. They were humans, not gods, and have a body of work that speaks for itself.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:11 am

I'm uncomfortable following guys like football player Aaron Rogers or Joe Rogan because they are known for drug use or the legalization of drugs. I have my reasons for my position, you do whatever you will with them.

I look at Joe Rogan as a one time small player in UFC matches, he is more well known as a UFC announcer and talk show host. I don't think of Joe Rogan as some oracle for martial arts info. I hardly ever listen to Joe Rogan.

Hayward Nishioka, Steven Segal, Bruce Lee and Gene LeBell were all real martial artists and some or all of them made movies. They are martial arts, not so much Joe Rogan. Heck I am not much of a martial artist, I did not LIVE IT 24x7x365, I was a practitioner, learned some basic skills and had some fun.

Everything in all movies is choreographed, it is make believe, it is generally not true. Some techniques in movies may be useful just as some techniques in dojos may be true. Everything is not true or real for all practitioners in dojos due to differences in the way they are attacked, the height, weight, strength and ability of the practitioners. If (the reader of this) has ever been in a dojo or street fight you would know that nothing works 100% of the time and that is why we spar. We spar and train to get the applications down and to make them more useful or to judge for ourselves the effectiveness of a technique.

I have no position on the truth or veracity of anything said or in print about something 60 years ago. I need to see the videos to get a better idea. If there are no videos then it could be complete folklore.

People like to get on Segal or Lee. They were humans, not gods, and have a body of work that speaks for itself.

Thanks for your insight. I'm no fan of Joe Rogan either. I've only posted a few things about him that I've seen on YT that I wanted to comment on. Besides being a UFC commentator, and for some reason being possibly the most popular podcaster in the world, he was also an unfunny stand-up comedian.

That said, he is a legitimate skilled martial artist. I will never take that away from him. He is a legit BJJ practitioner, and he has thunderous Tae Kwon Do kicks. His kicks were (and probably still are) better than the kicks of probably 90% of the past or current UFC roster of fighters.

That said, there seems to be a cult that's grown around him and his podcast, where a lot of people take everything he says as gospel. Like he's some kind of demi-god. When in fact there's a lot of stuff he doesn't know at all, but there are people who believe whatever he says about even those things.

As for which old-school martial artist or martial arts actor could have beaten whom; TBH, it's a very childish argument that grown "adults" (oops, I just used quotes there) still engage in today. As you say, movies are choreographed (and edited). They are for entertainment; they are not intended to be fight tutorials.

I've met martial artists who were older than me (some a lot older) who were still very childish and narcissistic about their arts. In my experience and observations, most martial arts people, and non-martial artists who ride their coattails, tend to be that way, regardless of their age. One of the many reasons why I almost never discuss the subject of martial arts with anyone anymore, outside of this thread.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Close Combat Axe Hand

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:06 am
Naperville wrote:

Thanks for your insight. I'm no fan of Joe Rogan either. I've only posted a few things about him that I've seen on YT that I wanted to comment on. Besides being a UFC commentator, and for some reason being possibly the most popular podcaster in the world, he was also an unfunny stand-up comedian.

That said, he is a legitimate skilled martial artist. I will never take that away from him. He is a legit BJJ practitioner, and he has thunderous Tae Kwon Do kicks. His kicks were (and probably still are) better than the kicks of probably 90% of the past or current UFC roster of fighters.

That said, there seems to be a cult that's grown around him and his podcast, where a lot of people take everything he says as gospel. Like he's some kind of demi-god. When in fact there's a lot of stuff he doesn't know at all, but there are people who believe whatever he says about even those things.

As for which old-school martial artist or martial arts actor could have beaten whom; TBH, it's a very childish argument that grown "adults" (oops, I just used quotes there) still engage in today. As you say, movies are choreographed (and edited). They are for entertainment; they are not intended to be fight tutorials.

I've met martial artists who were older than me (some a lot older) who were still very childish and narcissistic about their arts. In my experience and observations, most martial arts people, and non-martial artists who ride their coattails, tend to be that way, regardless of their age. One of the many reasons why I almost never discuss the subject of martial arts with anyone anymore, outside of this thread.

Jim
Hey Jim! Thanks for the response.

What we should do is ask people to come up with a list of 10 to 20 fighters and martial artists everyone would like to meet! I'll start working on my list now.

I love watching UFC fights and have been watching fights for decades to see a good brawl and of course to see what may work in a real fight without weapons.

Connor McGregor is 100% Irish and I'm at least 85% Irish. Connor McGregor has had some good fights, although I think his style is awkward. I've had some good fights too, and I am sure that nothing that I do would be legal in the UFC. Connor McGregor is rich and I'm broke.

:winking-tongue

Do I like Connor McGregor? Nah, not so much. I'll watch him fight but will not pay for it or bet on him. I don't like him that much. There may be 5 to 10 other fighters that I'd rather meet in real life. There are even many martial artists that I'd rather meet in real life over Connor McGregor.

Joe Rogan and Connor McGregor are similar to me in that they don't really interest me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:36 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:06 am
Naperville wrote:

Jim
Hey Jim! Thanks for the response.

What we should do is ask people to come up with a list of 10 to 20 fighters and martial artists everyone would like to meet! I'll start working on my list now.

I love watching UFC fights and have been watching fights for decades to see a good brawl and of course to see what may work in a real fight without weapons.

Connor McGregor is 100% Irish and I'm at least 85% Irish. Connor McGregor has had some good fights, although I think his style is awkward. I've had some good fights too, and I am sure that nothing that I do would be legal in the UFC. Connor McGregor is rich and I'm broke.

:winking-tongue

Do I like Connor McGregor? Nah, not so much. I'll watch him fight but will not pay for it or bet on him. I don't like him that much. There may be 5 to 10 other fighters that I'd rather meet in real life. There are even many martial artists that I'd rather meet in real life over Connor McGregor.

Joe Rogan and Connor McGregor are similar to me in that they don't really interest me.

Hey, Naperville!

TBH, I don't think there are even 2 famous fighters or martial artists I'd still care to meet. I've already met a lot of famous martial artists and fighters in the past; here in the States, and in Taiwan and Hong Kong, including some of the classic old-school Kung Fu movie actors from the '70s and '80s. I would have liked to have met Bruce Lee if he had lived, but he didn't, so that's out.

Of those still alive today that I haven't met? Possibly Benny "The Jet" Urquidez. I saw him in person one year (1981 or 1982) at Ed Parker's Long Beach Internationals, when the announcer pointed him out sitting in the audience. But I didn't want to bother him at the time. I've never been the type that just walks up and bothers other people in order to meet them. Whenever I did meet famous martial artists or fighters, it was never because I walked up to them.

Another I wouldn't mind meeting, if circumstances warranted it, might be Geoff Thompson from the UK.

I honestly can't think of any other fighters or martial artists I'd care to meet nowadays.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Fighters and martial artists I would like to meet!

Chinese Boxing
- Bruce Lee

Karate
- Chuck Norris
- Jean-Claude Van Damme

Boxing
- Muhammad Ali
- George Foreman
- Roberto Duran
- Rocky Marciano
- Manny Pacquiao
- Mike Tyson

MMA
- George St-Pierre
- Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Amanda Nunes

Thai Kickboxing
- Buakaw Banchamek
- Benny Urquidez
- Ramon Dekkers

Escrima / Arnis
- Grand Master Angel Cabales founder of Cabales Serrada
- Grand Master Leo Giron founder of Bahala Na Martial Arts
- Secret
- Secret
- Secret
James Y

Post by James Y »

Liverpool's Deadliest Doormen: Alfie Lewis

Considered by many to have been the UK's greatest sport Karate fighter, he could also fight for real on the street. A friend and sparring partner of mine from Liverpool, who I knew during my years in Taiwan (and whom I mentioned co-experiencing a creepy paranormal encounter with me on a sidewalk in Taipei in my Unusual, and/or Paranormal Experiences thread), had spoken very highly of Alfie Lewis, and had even trained with him at one point. My friend had given me some UK martial arts magazines (IIRC, Combat magazine) that his sister had sent him from the UK, some of which featured Alfie Lewis.

If not for my friend, I would never have heard of Alfie Lewis; AFAIK, like most of the other great UK martial artists, he was never featured or mentioned in any of the American martial arts or sport Karate magazines of the time. I do know that my friend, who was a good fighter himself, held Alfie Lewis in very high regard.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"Such Strikes Should Be Banned!"

This type of low side kick is devastating. People in MMA call it an 'oblique kick'. They also call the kick where the toes are pointed outwards an oblique kick. The kick in this video is simply a side kick without the hip twist. This type of 'half side kick' is very common in traditional Chinese martial arts. Either way, it serves the exact same purpose as a 'full side kick' when directed at the knee. The half side kick to the knee is especially practical when you're unable to fully turn your hip over for whatever reason (in closer quarters, etc).

The side thrusting kick with the hip fully turned over and the foot either completely horizontal, or with the heel slightly higher than the toes and the foot "bladed," was popularized by modern Japanese Shotokan Karate starting in the 1930s, and in the 1950s, in modern Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do (which were actually Korean offshoots of Shotokan Karate, with a little more emphasis on kicks and newer kick variations).

*There is some possible evidence that the high kicks developed in Shotokan Karate in the 1930s *such as the Karate roundhouse kick, spinning back kick, reverse roundhouse/hook kick, etc., which were not a part of traditional Okinawan Karate, were adapted into Karate from French Savate. But that is another discussion *

There are some older traditional, mainly northern Chinese systems that had a side kick with the horizontally-positioned foot, but usually the upper body was leaned further back than the Karate/TKD side kick, and the arms were often stretched out in both directions for balance (not a very efficient position, IMO).

Of course the side kick, or any thrusting/stomping kick to the knee, should be banned in combat sports. Which is why the low side kick (including the half side kick) to the knee or shinbone is one of the most practical kicks for actual self-defense. I consider it far more practical for SD than the more popular Muay Thai round kick to the leg; because if it lands properly, with the aggressor coming at you with most of his weight on his forward leg, the effect will be instantaneous. Whereas the round kick to the legs often takes several shots to take maximum effect. The low side and half side kicks also occur suddenly, without any need for a lot of space, or any windup. This also makes it more practical to use for someone as they get older than a Thai round kick. Anytime an adversary places most of his weight onto his forward leg (which he must do when advancing towards you), his knee becomes vulnerable to a thrusting or stomping kick. As you can see in the video, the kick that caused the serious injury landed as the opponent was stepping forward with a lead left hook.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Maybe knee strikes will be the next thing to be banned in UFC MMA fights. These are NOT street fights, and if you look at the rules, there is already a lot that has been banned.

Back 10+ years ago when I was wracking my brain about how to decisively win street fights I download rules for fighting regulations from many different fighting contests (Marquess of Queensberry Rules, K1 rules, UFC Rules, pro boxing rules, Judo rules....) and picked them apart trying to see HOW TO WIN FIGHTS. All that you have to do is to amass a list of things that have been banned, and you come up with a neat little list of things to DO in a street fight.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 pm
Maybe knee strikes will be the next thing to be banned in UFC MMA fights. These are NOT street fights, and if you look at the rules, there is already a lot that has been banned.

Back 10+ years ago when I was wracking my brain about how to decisively win street fights I download rules for fighting regulations from many different fighting contests (Marquess of Queensberry Rules, K1 rules, UFC Rules, pro boxing rules, Judo rules....) and picked them apart trying to see HOW TO WIN FIGHTS. All that you have to do is to amass a list of things that have been banned, and you come up with a neat little list of things to DO in a street fight.

I agree.

But there are lots of guys who train sport fighting who will tell you that the only effective self-defense is the stuff that is legal in MMA ((or other combat sport) fighting. Their argument is that "those are the only martial arts skills that are pressure-tested and proven to work against a resisting opponent who is a high-level fighter."

As for the dirty/banned stuff, those same guys will argue, "I don't need to fight dirty and I don't train with dirty moves; but if I did want to use them, I could do it easily, anytime I want. There's nothing stopping me from pulling out a banned move in a street fight, and I'll be better at it, because I train in MMA."

There are many holes in those arguments, including:

First off, banned moves in combat sports were banned for a reason. Because they work (perhaps too easily), and because they can cause severe injury with less effort.

Secondly, the idea that "I don't train or use dirty/banned moves, but I could do them anytime I want" actually contradicts their own argument. If you don't constantly think about, much less train something until it becomes a natural action/reaction, it's not going to come out in a situation of sudden violence. If you are unable to avoid or escape a situation and are forced to physically defend yourself, what's going to happen are one of a few things:

1. You're going to respond the way you train by default.

2. You will lose all skills and start flailing wildly.

3. You will hesitate/freeze up.

I've had more sport fighting experience than street experiences in my life, but I've had enough of both to know that they are very different; even full-contact competition is not the same as a street situation. I always considered this, even when I was younger. I never considered the sport fighting as self-defense training, although sparring is important for testing your ability to fight and apply certain skills against a resisting opponent. In sport, even though there is the risk of injury, even serious injury, you are still protected by the rules, and the fact that you're not trying to ambush, gang up on, or kill each other.

To make something a natural action or reaction, it must become habitual through some type of consistent practice, and it must be simple and natural enough to apply in an adrenaline-pumping situation. It won't happen if someone thinks, "I can pull out a dirty trick anytime I want. It's easy."

Yes, there are instances where grapplers and other sport fighters have prevailed using sport-legal skills in the street. And there are also many instances where they failed. Nobody is invincible. But I prefer stuff that doesn't require me to be young and have elite fitness levels to apply. I train to be lean, healthy and fit for my age; but my "competitive fighting shape" days are over, and eventually they will be for everybody else, too.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

McDojo Breakdown: Knife Neck Pinching

This stuff that he is critiquing has to be some of the worst and most negligent stuff I've ever seen being presented as self-defense. Pinching the blade of a knife with your neck would never work in a million years.

However, I will point out that a LOT of people who post on knife-related forums tend to believe the part shown at 3:55, only with the attacker/defender roles reversed. They echo the belief amongst each other that if you try to defend yourself with a knife, your attacker will simply disarm you and use your own knife against you. They literally believe it's that easy (@3:55). I've seen many people post in knife-related forums that you'll be easily disarmed.

ANY person who is armed with a knife, and is determined, is a danger. The key word is DETERMINED. That is why cops are going to shoot you if you come at them aggressively with a knife. If disarming a knife was so easy, why would multiple burly cops have to stand at a distance, with guns pointing at a single man or woman holding even a small paring knife or folder, yelling at them to "Drop the knife!"? If disarming a knife is so easy, why can't a single cop simply walk up and take the knife away from them?

Even a small child who is behaving erratically and holding a knife is dangerous. You might eventually get that knife away from that child, but you're probably going to take some cuts (at least).

Try this: Play a game by handing a relative who is a small child a red magic marker, instruct them to hold it tight and NOT allow you to take it away from them; and they have to mark you up as much as they can with it. They get some type of reward if they can keep it from you and mark you with it for a set amount of time. Wear eye protection. Depending on the child and how much they get into the game, I'm betting that at least your hands and arms are going to get marked up a lot. Now imagine if that magic marker was a knife, and those red marks were cuts and stabs. And then imagine if that child was a determined, fully-grown adult with a knife.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

No One Believed in Him, But He Shocked the Whole World

Another example of Never Underestimate Anyone. Never take anybody for granted. This not only applies to boxing and other combat sports, or even only to self-defense, but to life in general. It can apply to any potential within a person, either positive or negative.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Frank Brennan Karate Highlights

Frank Brennan is a Shotokan Karate master from Liverpool, England, who competed in the 1970s and '80s. In his prime, he had among the best Shotokan fighting technique I've ever seen among Karate competitors. I especially love his incorporation of foot sweeps in his sparring combinations.

This is the way that Japanese Karate (Shotokan, Shito-ryu, etc.) used to look like in competitions decades ago. In comparison, with the exception of Kyokushin and its offshoots, nowadays much of Karate has gone soft. Not only in technique, but in spirit.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I am not sure what the writers background in martial arts is. 3 part analysis of martial arts being used WROL(in a time where law is suspended, AKA Without Rule of Law). 3rd part update with a link now provided.

Martial Arts in The Collapse: A Question of Limits – Part 1, by Dr. Joseph
https://survivalblog.com/2024/04/12/mar ... dr-joseph/

Martial Arts in The Collapse: A Question of Limits – Part 2, by Dr. Joseph
https://survivalblog.com/2024/04/13/mar ... dr-joseph/

Martial Arts in The Collapse: A Question of Limits – Part 3, by Dr. Joseph
https://survivalblog.com/2024/04/14/mar ... dr-joseph/
Last edited by Naperville on Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:02 am
I am not sure what the writers background in martial arts is. 3 part analysis of martial arts being used WROL(in a time where law is suspended, AKA Without Rule of Law). 3rd part to be delivered tomorrow and I will update with a link.

Martial Arts in The Collapse: A Question of Limits – Part 1, by Dr. Joseph
https://survivalblog.com/2024/04/12/mar ... dr-joseph/

Martial Arts in The Collapse: A Question of Limits – Part 2, by Dr. Joseph
https://survivalblog.com/2024/04/13/mar ... dr-joseph/

PART3 TOMORROW!

Very good stuff! Thanks for posting!

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Knife to the Face

He makes some really important points. I can safely say that most men vastly underestimate the dangers posed by female criminals. In December 2022 in Toronto, Canada, a 59 year-old man was stabbed to death in a swarming attack by a group of 8 teenage girls, who were between the ages of 13 to 16 years old.

There are women out there who will slash your face with a razor blade hidden between their fingers, or with a utility razor knife. And more.

Men who say, "I'm a real man. Real men NEVER strike a women for ANY reason, no matter what," are easy marks for someone like that. Do not confuse ordinary life situations, and dealing with a violent criminal who happens to be a female. A woman (or a kid) can maim you or kill you or your loved ones with a gun or a blade just as easily as a man; and possibly even more easily, if not fighting back or resisting a woman or kid has been ingrained into you. If you have no other choice, and the other person is a clear danger to you, and if the opportunity presents itself, you had BETTER be able to overcome any natural reluctance you have on using violence to end the threat, regardless of that person's age or gender.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

This is How to Survive Getting Jumped

Some very good info here.

I will say that some of the stuff he demonstrates probably wouldn't be very practical for most people as they get older, IF they can even do them anymore (such as doing forward rolls, and even getting up from the ground quickly).

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Three Reasons to Avoid Road Rage at All Cost

Jim