Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a "Spyderhawk 2" with features similar to the Tasman Salt 2?

Yes, I would be very interested in a redesigned Spyderhawk.
43%
Maybe, but I'd probably be just as happy if they did another Sprint Run of the old Spyderhawk.
36%
No, I'm not really interested in this model.
21%

Total votes: 95

Takuan

Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Post by Takuan »

In another thread (viewtopic.php?p=1443759), I mentioned my desire for a Spyderhawk Salt 2 with many of the improved features seen in the Tasman Salt 2 (e.g., bi-directional texturing, thicker scales, a 4-way clip, black coated hardware, and jimping on the thumb ramp). There seemed to be some interest there, but I didn't want to hijack that thread, so I created this one. I wonder if Spyderco might consider making a Spyderhawk Salt 2 along these lines...
Spyderhawk 2.JPG
Forgive my sloppy image manipulation, but I wanted to show what the knife might look like with the Pacific Salt 2 handle attached to it. What do you all think about this? Are there other design features that you'd like to see?
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
skeeg11

Re: Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Post by skeeg11 »

Make it FFG LC200N to seal the deal.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

I've been fascinated by this knife ever since I saw it here in the forums.
I'd be interested in a new version with a longer blade, say 4 inches of edge, because that implies a longer handle and it fits my hand better.
I'll even take a Golden-made Hawk in LC200N. Maybe a different handle colour ? Or another handle material ?
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sure would: viewtopic.php?t=87261
FFG same blade length, LC200N or even vg-10/S30V. Anything other than H1 (nothing wrong with H1, though)

Color, I'd want it vibrant. Whatever handle shape/material, I'm good with.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sign me up for the blade material/grind improvements. I could take or leave the Pac Salt handle upgrade. I really loved the original handle but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as long as request #1 is fulfilled. I could even understand if Spyderco had to attach the disclaimer tag about the fragility of the tip and a caution for utility use.

I chose the yes option in the poll, but I would still buy another if they changed nothing but the color.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

In an ideal world (through my eyes of course) I'd say bring it back as a Spyderhawk 2 with the Pac Salt 2 handle, add jimping, in H1 SE with Yellow/Satin and Black/TiCN as the two options. Then, later on do a large sprint run of the entire Salt series in Toxic Green FRN and FFG LC200N in SE or PE where appropriate. Probably SE only for the hawkbills, though I wouldn't mind PE LC200N versions of the Dragonfly and Ladybug hawkbills.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:41 pm
......Then, later on do a large sprint run of the entire Salt series in Toxic Green FRN and FFG LC200N in SE or PE where appropriate.
Would this include the Catcherman? :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna buy probably any FFG/SE hawkbill so if that's possible then definitely I'm in. If this can be achieved with LC200N then heck yes when can I pre-order.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'd buy one. I owned an original run yellow and carried it paired with my Millie...and never really used it. Bought one of the sprint runs, carried it a handful of times, used it once or twice, but it never caught on.

Either way I support them doing another run for those that want them. But for my own carry I think I'll stick to the smaller hawkbills since they're never going to be my primary knife. I sold my Spyderhawks but held on to my Tasman.
:unicorn
Turbo_baer

Post by Turbo_baer »

Im in ! I like the updates.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Toxic green for me please!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:57 pm
If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'd buy one. I owned an original run yellow and carried it paired with my Millie...and never really used it. Bought one of the sprint runs, carried it a handful of times, used it once or twice, but it never caught on.

Either way I support them doing another run for those that want them. But for my own carry I think I'll stick to the smaller hawkbills since they're never going to be my primary knife. I sold my Spyderhawks but held on to my Tasman.
Same.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

No thanks, the original handle was better. I have no interest in changing any model to the E4 handle.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I could take or leave the black hardware; I don't need 100% corrosion resistance, and while we're talking about it I'd probably be happy with VG-10 rather than H-1. But definitely in favor of updating to the new handle.
Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:39 pm
I'm gonna buy probably any FFG/SE hawkbill so if that's possible then definitely I'm in. If this can be achieved with LC200N then heck yes when can I pre-order.
Second on the FFG comment. VG-10 or LC200N, I'm happy.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah I’d be interested in either the current version redone, or an updated version. SE LC200N or VG10 would get my vote, although I’d still get a H1 version, of course.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would be very happy with a spyderhawk 2 or a release of the original. I will vote for the 2 if it means its a regular production knife.

This is the hawkbill I have been waiting on.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd like to see it in the newer handle so I could finally have a nice folding karambit. Just slap a signet ring on it and it'd be perfect.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I wonder how much LC200N would drive up the price compared to H1. LC200N is my favorite steel, so I’d definitely love a flat-ground Spyderhawk in it, but I wonder if it would start to price the knife out of its intended market. I suppose there’s a further difficulty because the H1 knives are made in Japan, where they tend to prefer to not work with foreign steels like LC200N.

What I’d really like to see is two different runs of the knife, like with the Native 5, Para 2, and Manix 2: (1) a “Standard Model” with FFG LC200N and G10 handles (with either a compression lock or a mid lock), and (2) a “Lightweight Model” with hollow ground H1 and FRN handles.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I would be super interested in this. Whether it is just another run of the old hawk or a new redesign wouldn't matter either way, I'd still get it :)
Justin :spyder:
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I really like the way the old model is. It’s also a big NO to the jimping as well. It makes the hawkbill profile really hard to get into your pocket and when you do it shreds the crap out of it.

Bring it back the way it is in a DLC\Toxic Green Sprint, obviously the USN isn’t doing any more runs.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”