What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: What knives in your collection keep wow-ing you?

Post by ladybug93 »

honestly, i feel this way about all of my spyderco knives. some more than others, but i still enjoy them all. i even fell out of love with my df2 salt for a bit because the action got junky somehow, but i cleaned it up and it's wonderful again.

my pac salt, manix 2 lw (xhp), and yojimbo are the standout models for me though.

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't know if you meant fixed blades also, but cutting things with the Jumpmaster 2 is really an eye opening experience.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My Rex45 Shaman keeps wow-ing me every time it cuts something better than a thinner bladestock knife. Me thinks the weight of the 100 % grade A beef blade helps
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:53 am
I don't know if you meant fixed blades also, but cutting things with the Jumpmaster 2 is really an eye opening experience.
I’ve always thought the full tang frn handled fixies were gorgeous. That’s probably why I like the waterway’s handles so much, that sexy texturing.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, that one is great, and I really like the Fish Hunter too.
I probably need to get one of those if we ever get back to work.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

1. Swayback - alright it's new and still in honeymoon phase. I keep admiring the highly polished fine grained stonewash; razor sharp edge; smooth titanium scales which remind me of the feel of beach glass.
2. PM2 - in M390, M4 or S110V all with Aramis CF scales. They're in my rotation which includes much more expensive brands like CRKS, Koenigs, Hinderers, Microtechs, etc. But every time I pick up my PM2 I think dam! this is just as good.
3. Yojimbo 2 in 20CV and CF scales - The most beautiful ugliest knife in my collection. The fit and finish of my copy is flawless. I'm always wowed by its wonderful ergos.
4. Advocate (CQI) - there's a few things about the handle that bugs me but it has to do with aesthetics. Functionally this knife is a gem. It's the blade that really wows me; I think it's one of Spyderco's best designed blade shapes.
5. Military - I only have one in S90V but with Aramis CF scales. All my other 4" knives are heavy built, so It's such a delight to have a relatively thinner and light weight knife like the Military.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Sage 2. Super simple design, but very well thought out. There's so much love for the TRM Atom, and by all accounts it is a great knife. But none of the back spacers are shouldered. So you have to fiddle around a bit more when putting the knife back together. It's not the end of the world. But when you talk about a great knife, all of those little things should be taken into account.

I don't know if the P4LW rises to this threshold, but I am very surprised by this knife. I got it as a "just in case I have a larger cutting task" knife. I thought that its size would discourage me from wanting to carry it on a regular basis. But the knife carries and feels like a much smaller knife. This model has really changed my opinion on EDCing a large knife.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 am
Albatross wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:03 am
The knife that continues to wow me is the Police 4 G10. It's beautiful and graceful, yet strong, and fits my hand as if it had been made for me alone. The beautiful, classic look of the contrasting black G10 and polished steel, gives me the warm and fuzzies every time.

The other knife is a Para 3 Rex 45 two-tone. This one was meant to be mine. I was in the market for a Para 3 Rex 45 knife, when this version was announced. My 2 favorite colors are green and orange. Imagine my surprise (and excitement) when I found out the show side would be that beautiful shade of orange Cutlery Shoppe uses, along with an OD green scale on the clip side. I knew it was for me. It's been slowly working up to P4 levels of admiration, but still has a lot of catching up to do.
I haven't owned or used a POLICE model in quite some time. I've had several and the older Carbon Fiber units I really regret trading away. But I've got to get one of these POLICE 4 models because I've heard nothing but high praises about this newer edition of the POLICE model.

I also kind of wish they would bring back a super version of the ROOKIE model. Which was a smaller version of the classic POLICE model.
I hear the LW Police feels a little better in hand, because it's a slightly thicker and has more rounded edges. If you get one, I hope you share your thoughts of the newer iteration, with all of us here on the forum.

I would have to buy a Rookie or several if they came back. I wouldn't care if it was brought back with VG10 and FRN, but I would much prefer to have K390 and G10, to match my P4.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:49 am
Well at the risk of being redundant my first pick in that category would be my C-60 Ayoob models.
I think you should just it over with and change your username to "JD Ayoob". Also, thanks for being persistent with the Ayoob campaign. You got my interest piqued.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wayne Goddard OD Sprint
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:04 pm

heck yes to all that rookie talk
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

My collection is pretty small, but that's because I only keep what I like. No point in keeping what I don't carry and use.

The Military has a considerable wow factor to me. Everything about it just clicks. The blade shape, the length, the clip, the ergos... It's beyond the PM2 I had in every way. Should've picked one up from the start.

My favourite fixed is my TOPS Puukko. Such a handy blade for its size. As comfortable as an old pair of jeans, and just as classy :)

The tradi I like the most is, unsurprisingly being French, Opinel's N°8 in carbon steel. I feel like everyone should have one in a drawer somewhere. So easy to sharpen, a joy to cut things with, what you want and need in a cutting tool. I have other sizes and they're great as table knives too.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chaparral FRN.
"Wows" me every time I put it in hand.
Just perfect for what it is and for me kind of a "role model" for what should be emphasized in a small folder concerning handle design, blade stock and so on.
And that's coming from a guy who strongly prefers larger folders generally...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I am always impressed with the utility of my "gent's" knives that don't frighten my coworkers: Des Horn, Air, Lil' Nilakka, Baby Horn, Memory, and C25 Centofante. The SpyOpera is going to be a part of that list I am sure.

But I love my Native Chief and eagerly await the Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 pm
Chaparral FRN.
Just perfect for what it is and for me kind of a "role model" for what should be emphasized in a small folder concerning handle design, blade stock and so on.
Your posts made me reconsider the Chap. If I ever decide I want a smaller Spyderco, that and the LC200N Native are the two on my list. The ergos are nice for the size and I love the FFG 2mm blade.

I wish more Spydercos were 2mm stock. I can't think of anything I use my 3-4mm Spyderco folders for that a 2mm thick folder would fail at.

The Police 3/4 series is nice for this reason, since essentially the entire blade is under 3mm while being a very large design overall.
:unicorn
Beach Cricket

Post by Beach Cricket »

If you want to press me for a specific answer, all things H1. ;)
Actually, all of the Spyderco designs that I've handled, although some are a bit small for my uses. :spyder:
-Cricket
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 pm
Chaparral FRN.

Yeah, this one has always wowed me as well. One of the best little knives out there. The Spyopera is very impressive as well. It is ridiculously smooth riding on those bearings. The fit and finish are amazing and the small touches like the decorative torx screws make it even better.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I posted earlier in this thread referencing the Police 4 G10, but I could add to that, the Autonomy 2 (LC200N). Those two are my top two favorite knives of all time and they both continue to impress me every time I carry and use them.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

SE endela
SE Pac salt
Police 4 LW
military
Dragonfly (any variation)
Wayne Goddard (combo edge)
HH UKPK
Byrd hawkbill
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The H1 PE Dragonfly Salt is probably the one that still amazes me the most. It was my first Spyderco and just how much punch comes in that little rust-proof package is incredible. Not to mention the H1 steel, which I really like in PE, and the Seki bidirectional FRN, which is my favorite FRN and favorite scale material overall. All of the Dragonfly variations are equally impressive and I hope to see the line expanded to included a Dodo-fly, Reverse S Cricket-fly, and a Worker-fly in the near future.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red