Clips you don’t like do not constitute a fatal flaw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Clips you don’t like do not constitute a fatal flaw

Post by ladybug93 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:22 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am
i'm surprised we still need something as trivial as a pocket clip to complain about with everything going on in the world right now.
Well , if you mean "complaining" like in " a pocket clip I don´t like is the end of the world" I am with you 100%!

But: Generally it is kind of a decision in principle if people may discuss tiny and in the grand scheme meaningless knife details and allow themselves to actually enjoy that "with everything going on in the world right now"... or not.
If not, it´d be the end of this forum for quite some time... :rolleyes:
While I can do very little about “what’s going on with the world”, I can do something about my knife clips.
i wasn't referring to you. i was referring to people that "grabbed their pitchforks and lanterns" over this pocket clip and others.

i agree that distracting ourselves with silly endeavors like pocket knives is a good thing. and i've complained plenty on this forum about certain designs. i guess i'm just more appreciative of positivity now than ever.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

I found the standard clip on the fluted CF Native digs in to the edge of my palm a bit so I’m testing it out with a Lynch deep carry clip. I’m not fond of the aesthetic of the clip sticking out past the butt of the knife but neither of these is a fatal flaw IMO and the knife is perfectly functional with either one, or with no clip at all.

This definitely feels like something that people can sort out for themselves and then move on with their lives without having to get the pitchforks out.

Avoid the model entirely if the clip turns you off that much seems like common sense to me. Clip placement on the Manix XL seems strange to the eye but it’s super easy to draw and very functional. I might try a deep carry on the XL at some point. No pitchforks here :)
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I replace all of my hourglass clips with deep-pocket titanium clips (e.g., MXG or Lynch). The hourglass clips usually create hot spots when I take a hammer grip on the knife, and the uncoated, mirror-polished clips attract a lot of attention. I also don’t like the fact that so much of the knife sticks up out of the pocket, which advertises the blade’s presence and leads to excessive wear on some pants (e.g., jeans). However, this is a personal preference. Some people prefer the hourglass clip, and that’s fine for them.

I personally like the deep-carry wire clips on my Spydiechef and Sage 5 because they are comfortable and unobtrusive. They also don’t scratch objects when I accidentally brush up against them the way that the right-angled edges of standard clips do. Again, this is a personal preference issue, not a universal statement.

Deep-carry clips don’t slow down my knife draw. When I reach for the knife, I jam my thumb as far down into my pocket as possible so that the web of my thumb presses into the butt of the knife handle (as you would grip a firearm when preparing to draw from a holster). I hook the tip of the clip with the first joint (or pad) of my index finger and place my middle finger alongside the clip (and the hole/groove in Lynch/MXG clips provides extra grip for my middle finger, which is a nice bonus). Pinching the knife this way, I can pull straight up and have the knife clear my pocket easily. My grip has to be minimally readjusted to open the knife. I modified my draw about 20 years ago to this method and it’s much faster than the old way of pinching the top of the knife with thumb and forefinger, drawing it from the pocket, and then radically shifting the grip before opening. I’ve tested this in hundreds of hours of sparring with training knives and it works well for me under pressure.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I feel like the clip on a pocket knife is the most important part, or the most important $15. I do not like walking around with a pocket full of junk bouncing around. I only ever take the few keys I need on a day, the cards and cash and that is it. A cluttered pocket makes a cluttered mind. The clip turns a folding knife into something that can be stored practically in a pocket. No clip is one of the reasons why I hate my Gerber Gator, no cash is the reason why I love it and stuck with it for a long time.

I do not have enough knives or experience with the styles and types of clips or placement to really have an opinion. However, if an evil faction of knife dictators decided to delete the pocket clip from existence, I would grab a pitchfork and defend the clip.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Lack of a clip is also a definite show-stopper for me, for everything except key-ring, wallet and bag carry.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:29 am
Lack of a clip is also a definite show-stopper for me, for everything except key-ring, wallet and bag carry.
I'll second that!
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

A clip that you don't like can absolutely affect your willingness to buy or use a knife. Why buy a knife with a pocket clip that you don't like, when there might be another knife that has better options?

In general, I think Spyderco often treats clips as an after thought. The Swayback is a prime example. The clip works in the sense that it keeps the knife attached to the pocket. However, hardly anyone that owns the knife actually seems to keep the original clip. That, to me, is a indicator that it is a poor choice. If Spyderco cannot be bothered to manufacture a good clip for a knife like the Swayback, I think most would prefer to save the cost of the default spoon clip and have the knife shipped without a clip.

I removed the spoon clip from my Native 5 LW because it was creating hot spots. I would absolutely like the knife more if it came with a better clip. As it is, the knife is now limited to use when I don't need it to be clipped to my pocket.

There are other companies that offer more clip options and/or better clip options. Other companies have multiple clip options (usually deep carry and non-deep carry) for each model. Other knife companies will sell you a clip to replace one that you do not like for a much smaller fee than you will pay a third party to replace a Spyderco clip that you do not like.

Spyderco may have invented the pocket clip, but I would say that there are other companies are currently putting more time and effort into providing pocket clips that will make their customers happy.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I hardly ever see someone share a picture of a Para 3 without the clip replaced with a 3rd party clip.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:10 pm
I hardly ever see someone share a picture of a Para 3 without the clip replaced with a 3rd party clip.
Of all the different models I have the Para 3 is the only Spyderco model that I thought changing the clip was necessary for me. I could live with stock clip but didn't really like how the knife felt in my hand or how it sat in my pocket. The short Lynch clip just works better for me on that model. Otherwise I'm fairly content with whatever clip they decide to put on a model. I generally prefer the wire clip on models that have it but don't really have an issue with the hourglass clip. I guess I'm lucky that I'm not real picky in that regard. I don't really have issues with hot spots and don't usually care how it rides in my pocket.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, I think it's ok to have really specific preferences. There are design details like this that are deal breakers for me on what may otherwise be a near perfect design. At the end of the day you're either willing to compromise or you're not. I work pretty hard for my money so I don't compromise much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A knife clip is a replaceable optional accessory that can be located in different positions. I appears that some people must have exactly what they want: tip up carry, deep clip, certain color. For them the odds of getting all their requirements in a stock knife are slim indeed.

All of those things can be resolved however. I don’t see the value in complaining that you can’t always get what you want.

I will routinely deal with a clip position I don’t like because it’s only there to hold a knife in a certain position in a pocket or waistband. Once open and in use to do what it was designed to do, to wit, cut things, the clip should be out of the way and a non issue.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:14 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Of all the different models I have the Para 3 is the only Spyderco model that I thought changing the clip was necessary for me. I could live with stock clip but didn't really like how the knife felt in my hand or how it sat in my pocket. The short Lynch clip just works better for me on that model. Otherwise I'm fairly content with whatever clip they decide to put on a model. I generally prefer the wire clip on models that have it but don't really have an issue with the hourglass clip. I guess I'm lucky that I'm not real picky in that regard. I don't really have issues with hot spots and don't usually care how it rides in my pocket.
I agree with most of this. I hate the standard clip on the P3 for the same reasons so many others do, luckily the lightweight fixed that. I have Lynch clips on my G-10 models. I also hate the N5 lightweight clip, it creates a hot spot in use and I had to swap it out. Lucky we have options, I like supporting aftermarket makers, but its not cheap.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting. I just moved my Para 3 clip to the pivot show side. No issues.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
araneae

Post by araneae »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:14 pm
Interesting. I just moved my Para 3 clip to the pivot show side. No issues.
Carrying in right pocket? I carried mine in my left pocket a few times and felt lucky that when it opened for the second time, only my pants got cut. Last time I will try that, if its set for right carry, right carry is how I'd carry it. I like compression locks, but they don't always stay closed like a back lock does.

I suppose we all get to decide what makes a fatal flaw.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Strange, mine in right pocket top down blade spine against seam. Does not come open.

Team Innovation
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Rarely change clips from how they come out of the box.
Do take a clip off know and then and usually put it back where it came from without even thinking of moving it.

Couldn’t work out all the fuss about the Para 3 clip
( though I did buy a Lynch deep carry clip for the Para 3 and put it on because I bought a pry bar I thought I would buy my first Few deep carry clips whilst ordering the pry bar. Still haven’t put the other deep carry clip on one of my Delica,s )

Love the original clip on the Pakkawood Delica
Last edited by standy99 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:02 pm
For them the odds of getting all their requirements in a stock knife are slim indeed.

This is unfortunately very true, but it's also what keeps me here. If I had the absolute perfect knife then I wouldn't need to buy any others. Satisfaction is the death of desire. Every time a reveal comes out I get super excited for what might suit me, and there's a lot of disappointment but now and then a design does check enough boxes to make me happy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

What is a fatal flaw for me might be a selling point for someone else.

I really don't like the clip on the kapara. The light spring tension combined with the smooth scales and the length of the knife makes it jump out of my pocket. I've never had this issue with another knife. Consequently I rarely carry the knife even though I really like it in use.

I'm going to get a Lynch replacement clip to see if it solves the issue, but if it doesn't I'll probably sell the knife. Even if the clip makes it acceptable, it increases the cost of the knife to over $200 which alters the value proposition.

I don't think Spyderco needs to change the design though. Most folks seem to love the knife as is and prefer the wire clip. It's just not a knife for me. I've now learned that while I like the wire clip on smaller frn knives (dragonfly, chap, etc) that I don't like it on larger smooth scale knives, which will inform my future purchases.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t mean to be obtuse, but what is the value proposition?

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:33 am
What is a fatal flaw for me might be a selling point for someone else.

I really don't like the clip on the kapara. The light spring tension combined with the smooth scales and the length of the knife makes it jump out of my pocket. I've never had this issue with another knife. Consequently I rarely carry the knife even though I really like it in use.
This can be true at times I guess. One of the things I like about the Kapara is how easy it is to get in and out my pocket. I've never had a knife jump out of my pocket but I'm also not doing jumping jacks with a Kapara in my pocket (other knives maybe but also not likely). I could see how that could be a problem for someone though. You can adjust the tension on a clip, even the wire ones although not quite as easy to do as the hourglass clips
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!