C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rp5

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Rp5 »

I meant that this run should be completed in 2021, but if they do sell like zeppelin tickets, it might be 5 years before we would see another.

I think my previous posts were just a bit overly pessimistic. I'm still very excited to see this one get announced and I'll trust my ability to get one purchased when the time comes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's an original in SE on eBay but judging by the description it looks like they're hoping to get around $400 for it so that's a super hard pass for me, I'll gladly wait for the new version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:32 pm
I meant that this run should be completed in 2021, but if they do sell like zeppelin tickets, it might be 5 years before we would see another.

I think my previous posts were just a bit overly pessimistic. I'm still very excited to see this one get announced and I'll trust my ability to get one purchased when the time comes.
OK I got you>> I didn't quite get the overall point of what you meant. And I do hope you're wrong on that prediction because I would think that if the C-60 would have a huge resurgence of popularity they might elect to put it back into the main line up again. That's my ultimate goal. Because if I were Spyderco and had a model ( old or new) that sold that well I would certainly give it a second run on the main line up. They've done it with other models that were not nearly as popular as the C-60 is.

I think when a lot of the newbies get their hands on one of these there will be a new rekindled interest. Well that's what I'm hoping for anyway. Maybe I'm just a bit overly optimistic but now after EDCing my G-10 Sprint Run C-60 for the past 10 days I don't want to put it away anytime soon. My M390 Military model is going to get an extended vacation. This C-60 is so handy and so ergonomic I could be content with it for the next 2 to 3 years at least.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:45 pm
There's an original in SE on eBay but judging by the description it looks like they're hoping to get around $400 for it so that's a super hard pass for me, I'll gladly wait for the new version.
Yeah it's borderline obscene the prices some of the past models are fetching. I would kind of like to keep track of who is shelling out that kind of money for many of these older Spyders. Personally I've got a cut-off point of what I'll pay or trade for any model.

And I got a feeling that the new version is going to have some new features that will make it well worth waiting for. I'm just mind-blown that so many of these super classics have shown up in the secondary market lately in the past 6 months or so.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am
Evil D wrote:
Yeah it's borderline obscene the prices some of the past models are fetching. I would kind of like to keep track of who is shelling out that kind of money for many of these older Spyders. Personally I've got a cut-off point of what I'll pay or trade for any model.

And I got a feeling that the new version is going to have some new features that will make it well worth waiting for. I'm just mind-blown that so many of these super classics have shown up in the secondary market lately in the past 6 months or so.

Potentially better steel and a reasonable price are enough for me to avoid inflated prices of the originals. I'm not a collector so I can't justify spending $400 on a knife I intend to beat up.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am
Evil D wrote:

Potentially better steel and a reasonable price are enough for me to avoid inflated prices of the originals. I'm not a collector so I can't justify spending $400 on a knife I intend to beat up.
I still collect a few blades but a lot fewer than I used to collect. It's got to be something sentimentally special for me to want for a long term collection piece.
The reason I want 4 of these Sprint Run Ayoob models ( 2 of the PE and 2 of the SE) is that I'm a firm believer in "BACK UP UNITS". I like this model so much I want to make sure I'll have one to use for a long time. I plan on this newer Sprint Run Ayoob to be my main user/EDC for at least a couple of years if not longer. It isn't often I run into a model that fascinates me as much as this model has over the years.

Yes you are wise to pass up on an older VG-10 model for that price. It won't surprise me if someone goes all the way to $500 on the auction because it is a highly sought after collector piece and it's getting extremely hard to find one of the serrated models period. I'm ready for this new one in a newer/better blade steel myself. I'm already counting the days. :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:

I'm fairly positive that we will see the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run in this year 2021. But as one of the other brothers mentioned I do want them to take all the time they need to make this a great batch of blades. I plan on EDCing one or both for probably the next 3 years or more.

The past two weeks I've been EDCing my Sprint Run G-10 Ayoob model and I love it so much that I've put my hallowed M390 Military model which I dearly loved into semi-retirement. Like yourself I'm really anxious to see how this newer C-60 Ayoob is going to turn out. I haven't been this positive about a Sprint Run for over 8 years now. I'm counting the days Brother and I'm sure a lot of folks here and at Bladeforums are also counting the days. It'll be here soon>> it might even catch many of us off guard.. You must keep some extra change handy for when it does hit ;) Because I believe it will sell like tickets to a Rolling Stones concert when it does finally hit.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm
Rp5 wrote:

I'm fairly positive that we will see the new C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run in this year 2021. But as one of the other brothers mentioned I do want them to take all the time they need to make this a great batch of blades. I plan on EDCing one or both for probably the next 3 years or more.

The past two weeks I've been EDCing my Sprint Run G-10 Ayoob model and I love it so much that I've put my hallowed M390 Military model which I dearly loved into semi-retirement. Like yourself I'm really anxious to see how this newer C-60 Ayoob is going to turn out. I haven't been this positive about a Sprint Run for over 8 years now. I'm counting the days Brother and I'm sure a lot of folks here and at Bladeforums are also counting the days. It'll be here soon>> it might even catch many of us off guard.. You must keep some extra change handy for when it does hit ;) Because I believe it will sell like tickets to a Rolling Stones concert when it does finally hit.
The piggy bank is definitely getting busted open if they're available when I'm available.

By the by - once it really starts to warm up, I'd love steal an hour of your weekend some time and meet up at a park or something to check out your collection - particularly a C-60 or two. I wouldn't even be offended if you dunked them in Purell after I touched them.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rp5 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm
Rp5 wrote:

The piggy bank is definitely getting busted open if they're available when I'm available.

By the by - once it really starts to warm up, I'd love steal an hour of your weekend some time and meet up at a park or something to check out your collection - particularly a C-60 or two. I wouldn't even be offended if you dunked them in Purell after I touched them.
Right now I've got some cash put aside>> but it's going to be tough for me to resist some other knives I want>> because Spyderco has a constant pipeline of stuff that in many cases I find it difficult to pass up. I would love to know how quick they do end up selling. Because I do believe this 2021 C-60 Sprint Run will go pretty quickly.

Just in the past month I now have two close friends that are going to give me some serious case so each of them can hopefully be able to land them one each as well. This is going to be a great Sprint Run>> and again my ultimate goal would be for the C-60 Sprint to sell so fast that Spyderco would consider putting the model back into the main line up again. Because there are a lot of new Spyderco fans all over the place that never got to check out a C-60. And I know in my gut there will be several of them wanting one or two of them.

This won't be a safe queen for me>> One pair ( SE & PE) will be serious folders in my "User Arsenal" that I like to rotate. Bring it on!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm kind of surprised that I haven't heard any of you hardly at all lately speak of the C-60 Ayoob as a serious work tool or as a viable martial arts tool :confused: Back around 2005 the C-60 Ayoob was the outright conversation favorite SD model in the entire line up>> there were entire threads dedicated to it. But I haven't heard anyone lately mention the superb self defense features of this model in quite some time.

And years ago that's what most people talked about when this great model would come up in conversation. I also still think that the potential of the C-60 being a super outdoor or sporting knife might gain a lot of attention when the new one arrives.

I've been EDCing my G-10, 2011 Sprint Run of this model for the past 17 days now and I now have very little desire to return my M390 Military model back to "active duty" status anytime soon. And when the new C-60 is released sometime this year it might just change a lot of my EDC requirements.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:19 am
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't heard any of you hardly at all lately speak of the C-60 Ayoob as a serious work tool or as a viable martial arts tool :confused: Back around 2005 the C-60 Ayoob was the outright conversation favorite SD model in the entire line up>> there were entire threads dedicated to it. But I haven't heard anyone lately mention the superb self defense features of this model in quite some time.

And years ago that's what most people talked about when this great model would come up in conversation. I also still think that the potential of the C-60 being a super outdoor or sporting knife might gain a lot of attention when the new one arrives.

I've been EDCing my G-10, 2011 Sprint Run of this model for the past 17 days now and I now have very little desire to return my M390 Military model back to "active duty" status anytime soon. And when the new C-60 is released sometime this year it might just change a lot of my EDC requirements.

Well if luck is on my side I'll never need mine for self defense so utility will be my only use and being the post whore I am you know I'll review and post it to death when I get one (or 6).
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:51 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Well if luck is on my side I'll never need mine for self defense so utility will be my only use and being the post whore I am you know I'll review and post it to death when I get one (or 6).
Why must SD designs be limited to an event no one welcomes?

I look forward to whatever practical uses you discover for the Ayoob.

I think my Ayoob and Ulize (the other Polices :p ) are fantastic in the kitchen.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:24 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:51 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Why must SD designs be limited to an event no one welcomes?

I look forward to whatever practical uses you discover for the Ayoob.

I think my Ayoob and Ulize (the other Polices :p ) are fantastic in the kitchen.
Thank you Wrdwrght :) Because the C-60 Ayoob is not the only SD folder that I've also found to be great for EDC and other uses. But it is one of the most versatile of all the SD folders I've ever used for a wide variety of other uses.

And I have also found out that the POLICE and some of the other specialty type models are also great for food prep. I've found that all the TEMPERANCE models ( fixed and folder) are all great for kitchen uses. And we all know how good those models are rated for "SD" purposes.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I think we discussed my previous post about “corners” rubbing, but I was snapping other pics so...
277DCE9C-34A4-4B55-8942-CCCF8CF0A35F.jpeg
Plus...BUMP!

ETA: It’s really both the tip of the “beak” and the top serrations of the thumb ramp’s jimping.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:38 pm
I think we discussed my previous post about “corners” rubbing, but I was snapping other pics so...

Plus...BUMP!

ETA: It’s really both the tip of the “beak” and the top serrations of the thumb ramp’s jimping.

It seems pretty confirmed that this version will have a 4 way clip option so this can be worked around if you prefer tip up.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Burton Knut wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:38 pm

Plus...BUMP!

I"m really sorry to hear you're having that problem Burton :confused: . I have EDCed both the original Almite handled version and now I'm currently EDCing the 2011 Sprint Run with the G-10 handle scales>> and I never had that problem with either version of the C-60 Ayoob.

I carry mine exactly the way you showed yours in your photo. I really don't even notice the "jimping" unless I have mine open and deployed. I'm really puzzled about that. Like EVIL D said the newer unit is going to have a different construction as far as the clip position which is a welcome change in spite of the fact I personally never had the problem you've encountered.

I wear a heavy grade pair of Carhartt jeans most of the time or when I'm working I wear either Carhartt or Round House Bib Overalls depending on the type of work I'm doing. The only problem I have with any Spyderco folder is that I remove them so much that I get a lot of pocket wear at times. But I have access to a sewing machine so I don't even care about that.

That is really puzzling :confused: But there has to be a solution.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Agreed both about the Ayoob and Carhartt clothing. I only have a "Rain Defender" hoodie but it is far more sturdy than other hoodies I've owned. I'd like to get other items but haven't run across a good enough sale. The regular prices are a little steeper than I usually go for, though the quality I think justifies them. It's just a little more than I usually am up for paying. There's a Carhartt outlet aroudn here somewhere I'd like to go back to.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you guys are interested in high quality American made work wear look up 1620 Workwear. They're anything but inexpensive but I have one of their hoodies and it's pretty amazing.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:03 pm
Agreed both about the Ayoob and Carhartt clothing. I only have a "Rain Defender" hoodie but it is far more sturdy than other hoodies I've owned. I'd like to get other items but haven't run across a good enough sale. The regular prices are a little steeper than I usually go for, though the quality I think justifies them. It's just a little more than I usually am up for paying. There's a Carhartt outlet aroudn here somewhere I'd like to go back to.
Hey DEF I recently got a couple of those "Rain Defender" hoodies myself on sale at a local farm supply store and I liked them so well that I ended up buying two of them. I've always liked Carhartt's work jeans and Bib Overalls as well. There is another USA made line of work clothing called "Round House" and I've been kind of impressed with them as well.

Those side/leg pockets on the Carhartt and Round House brands are extremely handy for carrying folders as well as a wide array of other work tools as well. I just wish Carhartt had not outsourced their manufacture to these other countries but that's another story for another time.

Oh sure I'm not going to be written up by the fashion editor of the NY Times from a vanity standpoint but from a "functional" standpoint I would much rather wear stuff I can comfortably work with anyway. Oh one more brand of work clothing I've been extremely impressed with is the "BLAKLADDER" line of work clothes. I've had one of their vest for 5 years now and it looks just as good as it did since the day I bought it.
YES!!! they should make work clothes to accommodate Spyderco knives and other vital tools. I think these companies kind of understand our needs for carrying tools on a daily basis.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Yeah, I'm no fashion wizard either. I went to NYC once and out of probably ten thousands or more people I saw in the city, not one was wearing plaid/flannel and I was wearing both a shirt and a jacket/overshirt that were, so I felt doubly out of place. Haha. Beautiful architecture, fascinating that it doesn't dissolve into chaos at any given moment, wouldn't feel like living there long-term.

Carhartt is great stuff. I don't have any jeans or overalls fro them but will likely get some when I see the right deals - they're obviously better made then my still decent levis/wrangler/lee/etc jeans. I do like some of those side pockets on good cargo/carpenter pants for knives and generally like lots of pockets as an option thogh I don't usually like filling them (maybe temporarily if I picked up small to midsize items that fit, I just wouldn't walk around with 10 pockets full of junk bouncing around).

Checking out Blaklader and Round House. I don't think I've seen either but if the quality and price work for me, I'll try some. Round House in particular seems fairly affordable (though some Blaklader stuff is as well) as far as decent work pants go.