C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

To be fair, the hollow grind on the original isn't exactly a significant concave, the difference between it and a flat saber is going to be pretty trivial in performance and will mostly be in your head. If the photos we've seen aren't photoshopped, then the blade grind has to be pretty thin because the serrations are fairly short, either that or the serrations are ground at a very steep angle but that seems less likely. So I think even if this is a flat saber and not a hollow saber, it'll slice at least as good as the original hollow saber.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:41 am
To be fair, the hollow grind on the original isn't exactly a significant concave, the difference between it and a flat saber is going to be pretty trivial in performance and will mostly be in your head. If the photos we've seen aren't photoshopped, then the blade grind has to be pretty thin because the serrations are fairly short, either that or the serrations are ground at a very steep angle but that seems less likely. So I think even if this is a flat saber and not a hollow saber, it'll slice at least as good as the original hollow saber.
David I do believe you are spot on correct with your observation. Because when you compare the "hollow grind" of any of my old C-60 models up against the hollow grind of any of my old Straight Razors it is quite different when you look really close.

However the hollow grind on the C-60 is still enough of a "hollow grind" to facilitate a superb cutting edge.

The actual cutting edges of straight razors under high magnification are quite different overall compared to most knives with hollow grind blades.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Geometry cuts, as the old saw goes, so I’m sure a saber grind is not the sliciest grind possible, but I think blade stock thickness has a greater effect than grind. I imagine blade stock places limits on what can be done economically, at least, but as has been pointed out, straight razors tend to be hollow ground, so maybe not so much. The Ayoob grind is less important to me than the fact that Spyderco decided to re-run it. Way to go JD.
benben

Post by benben »

Hello my little Hollow grind beauty! Honestly I could less if it’s Hollow or Sabre, I’m just happy to be getting some new Cru-Wear in an old iconic / classic model, and….to see this whole thing (you know…the thing :eye-roll) actually come to life! So thank you many times over Mr. Sal!
7555BF58-0B7C-4886-BF71-D38D4DBA4198.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jwbnyc wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:58 am
Geometry cuts, as the old saw goes, so I’m sure a saber grind is not the sliciest grind possible, but I think blade stock thickness has a greater effect than grind. I imagine blade stock places limits on what can be done economically, at least, but as has been pointed out, straight razors tend to be hollow ground, so maybe not so much. The Ayoob grind is less important to me than the fact that Spyderco decided to re-run it. Way to go JD.
You're Welcome!!! And thank you too. I'm wondering about the selection of "Cruwear" for blade material. Now I think that was an excellent idea first off. I'm sure that Spyderco weighed out all the options and made those decisions based on what they thought would be the best route to take. Irrespective of which grind they decided upon.

Like I said earlier I do believe that for Spyderco to select the options they did is based on bringing the best possible finished product when it's all said and done. I'm going to wait to see how this Sprint Run actually performs in the field and with everyday cutting chores.

I doubt if I have any safe queens of this model. Nope!!! I plan on using both the PE & SE and using them hard.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm just glad to see two non stainless steels being offered in SE, I hope we see more SE steel options in the future even if they're only offered in sprints or exclusives.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:54 am
I'm just glad to see two non stainless steels being offered in SE, I hope we see more SE steel options in the future even if they're only offered in sprints or exclusives.
I know this is just a bit "off topic" but I totally agree with you by having more options on different types of blade steels for fully serrated blades. I tend to think that serrated edges kind of get overlooked >> that is as far as overall performance concerning serrated blades. I've often wondered how serrated edges would do with many of the different tool steels.

And as far as the C-60 Ayoob model is concerned if this upcoming Sprint Run is a screaming success and they elect to do more runs in the near future then I would like to see the C-60 Ayoob in at least 2 to 3 different blade steels ( PE & SE both)>> and hopefully maybe at least one run in one of the better tool steels.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i still maintain that a highly stainless steel would be best choice for any self-defense knife. this is a knife i always want in the same place, regardless of what i'm wearing, for muscle memory and consistent access. in my mind, that means it should be in my waistband because pockets are in different places in different pants. if it's in my waistband, it will be exposed to sweat and oils from my skin, which means it will absolutely rust in a steel like cruwear or anything less stainless. i wouldn't even want to carry vg10 or s30v in my waistband, personally, but i know those steels are fine for some others on this forum. i think h1 would've been my favorite steel option for this knife, followed by lc200n. it's not that i need it to be a salt series knife, but i'd like it to be a no-fuss knife that's always at the ready because that just makes sense for a design geared specifically toward self-defense. i'll still get this one in cruwear because it may be the only choice i'll ever have, but it almost goes against the sd purpose of the knife design and turns it into just a unique edc blade, in my opinion.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

benben wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:44 am
Hello my little Hollow grind beauty! Honestly I could less if it’s Hollow or Sabre, I’m just happy to be getting some new Cru-Wear in an old iconic / classic model, and….to see this whole thing (you know…the thing :eye-roll) actually come to life! So thank you many times over Sal!
7555BF58-0B7C-4886-BF71-D38D4DBA4198.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:15 am
i still maintain that a highly stainless steel would be best choice for any self-defense knife. this is a knife i always want in the same place, regardless of what i'm wearing, for muscle memory and consistent access. in my mind, that means it should be in my waistband because pockets are in different places in different pants. if it's in my waistband, it will be exposed to sweat and oils from my skin, which means it will absolutely rust in a steel like cruwear or anything less stainless. i wouldn't even want to carry vg10 or s30v in my waistband, personally, but i know those steels are fine for some others on this forum. i think h1 would've been my favorite steel option for this knife, followed by lc200n. it's not that i need it to be a salt series knife, but i'd like it to be a no-fuss knife that's always at the ready because that just makes sense for a design geared specifically toward self-defense. i'll still get this one in cruwear because it may be the only choice i'll ever have, but it almost goes against the sd purpose of the knife design and turns it into just a unique edc blade, in my opinion.
Well that brings up a topic that we have discussed frequently in the past. And there have been quite a few fans of the C-60 Ayoob request it on several occasions. The suggestion of a Salt Series C-60 Ayoob. I've been hearing that mentioned going back to the days of the previous Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob in 2011.>> and I've heard it a couple of times even before that time slot.
Hopefully this Sprint Run will be successful enough for Spyderco to consider a Salt Series C-60 Ayoob. I've wanted to see that one come to pass as well as a Salt Series Dyad as well. But one goal at a time.
For you to prevent corrosion for your everyday defense carry I strongly suggest the up of Sentry Solutions, Marine Grade "TUF CLOTH".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be 100% interested in an H1/LC200N/MagnaCut version of this knife. I'm more interested in Salt versions of any knife I like.

I'm also still absolutely psyched over Cruwear. Maybe we'll see more versions in the future.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Tuf-Cloth or even an occasional wipe with mineral oil goes a long ways. Corrosion like all wear is intensity x time.

I adore the knife for many reasons (mainly being weird) and while it would be great for defense that is a very deep topic with so many options.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:12 pm
I would be 100% interested in an H1/LC200N/MagnaCut version of this knife. I'm more interested in Salt versions of any knife I like.

I'm also still absolutely psyched over Cruwear. Maybe we'll see more versions in the future.
The requests I've seen over the years for a Salt Series version of the C-60 Ayoob go all the way back even before the 2011 Sprint Run.

First things first however this present Sprint is going to have to rank high on the sales charts which I firmly believe it will.

There are so many blade steels I would love to see on a C-60 Ayoob blade and "Magnacut" being one of them. Maybe a Salt Series version might just well be the best one to beat the drum for next if things go as planned.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:44 am

First things first however this present Sprint is going to have to rank high on the sales charts which I firmly believe it will.

Well, I'm sticking with my original statement. I'll be buying two in SE on release day, then everyone has 1 week to buy and if they're not sold out by then I plan to start scooping them up in both edge types. The more I have the less hesitant I'll be about using them.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:57 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Well, I'm sticking with my original statement. I'll be buying two in SE on release day, then everyone has 1 week to buy and if they're not sold out by then I plan to start scooping them up in both edge types. The more I have the less hesitant I'll be about using them.
I hear you Brother!!! Other than the cash I've have put away for two of this Sprint Run ( PE & SE) I would love to be able to buy up at least 4 or 5 of each edge type and keep them on hand. Buying up units of this Ayoob Sprint Run would be a "Sure Win" investment if I ever saw one. It wouldn't be too very long in which those bad boys would start to gain some colossal trade value.
Medical copays have just murdered my lifestyle in the past year. It would be just awesome to have about ten grand to invest in some of these recent Spyderco Sprint Runs. These C-60 Sprint Runs would gain super trade value really fast I believe.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 am
Geometry counts so theoretically percentage wise the impact of hollowing a sabre is more significant than a high hollow on a tall full flat IMHO. That's my unmitigated and unsubstantiated guess and I'm sticking to it. :woozy
When you say that "Geometry Counts" I assume that you're basically saying that different grinds for different blade steels would indeed affect the overall performance of the edge itself? Regardless of how good of a sharpening job?

If Spyderco indeed has changed or altered the "grind" on this C-60 Massad Ayoob Sprint Run I just have to believe that the properties of this new blade steel i.e. Cruwear that they elected to use would perform better? Or why else would they do that? I can't imagine Spyderco doing something that could alter or decrease the performance of any knife they sell>> just to maybe make it look better.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:08 am
Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I hear you Brother!!! Other than the cash I've have put away for two of this Sprint Run ( PE & SE) I would love to be able to buy up at least 4 or 5 of each edge type and keep them on hand. Buying up units of this Ayoob Sprint Run would be a "Sure Win" investment if I ever saw one. It wouldn't be too very long in which those bad boys would start to gain some colossal trade value.
Medical copays have just murdered my lifestyle in the past year. It would be just awesome to have about ten grand to invest in some of these recent Spyderco Sprint Runs. These C-60 Sprint Runs would gain super trade value really fast I believe.
Are there Doctors who take Spyderco trades as payment for their services?

Just kidding. Kind of.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:48 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:08 am
Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Are there Doctors who take Spyderco trades as payment for their services?

Just kidding. Kind of.
you might be able to trade one for a tank of gas. :rofl
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 am

Don't wanna get off topic too much but this is literally the state of the world right now. Hard to splurge on a knife when it costs me ~$100 to fill up my Ranger.
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:09 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 am

Don't wanna get off topic too much but this is literally the state of the world right now. Hard to splurge on a knife when it costs me ~$100 to fill up my Ranger.
you're thinking of it all wrong. gas isn't as expensive as knives... knives are as cheap as a tank of gas!
current collection:
spyderco steels: