C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
riclaw

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by riclaw »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:36 am
riclaw wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:02 pm
If anyone's keeping an eye on MidwayUSA, their spyderedge listing just changed from Overdue to Coming Soon, Estimated In-Stock: 03/02/2023.
I'm really scratching my head on this one. And please don't get me wrong because I'm not doubting you at all Brother. But I was almost certain that we were close to being sold out of this Sprint Run about a month ago. That's good news if there are still more to be had because I sure want at least two more my own self.
You're right, JD. It is a little odd with everyone else showing either Out Of Stock or Discontinued. I reached out to MidwayUSA via email last night. Their CS rep said this "is a new product that we will be carrying" and that they "are supposed to be receiving 15 of these to start with". So, maybe they have 15 incoming?

I love the thin handle. For such a large knife, it disappears in pocket.
- Richard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

riclaw wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:36 am
riclaw wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:02 pm
If anyone's keeping an eye on MidwayUSA, their spyderedge listing just changed from Overdue to Coming Soon, Estimated In-Stock: 03/02/2023.
I'm really scratching my head on this one. And please don't get me wrong because I'm not doubting you at all Brother. But I was almost certain that we were close to being sold out of this Sprint Run about a month ago. That's good news if there are still more to be had because I sure want at least two more my own self.
You're right, JD. It is a little odd with everyone else showing either Out Of Stock or Discontinued. I reached out to MidwayUSA via email last night. Their CS rep said this "is a new product that we will be carrying" and that they "are supposed to be receiving 15 of these to start with". So, maybe they have 15 incoming?

I love the thin handle. For such a large knife, it disappears in pocket.
It would be nice if we knew exactly how many of each edge type that they made. I'm guessing maybe about 1200 total and about half and half for both edge types. But that's just a wild guess on my part.

Or it could be a marketing ploy to release limited numbers of units and limit the amount of units for each dealer to keep a constant, steady demand. But again that just a guess on my part.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

OK I changed the PE to 17 1/2 degrees. What a cutter now. It's now close to perfect.

Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

Fharing45 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:35 am
OK I changed the PE to 17 1/2 degrees. What a cutter now. It's now close to perfect.

Ooh, that does look perfect. I do not believe I can achieve that with a sharp maker and diamond rods. But I’d like to. That looks like it cuts nice.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fharing45 wrote:

Thanks for the tip , no pun intended ! Looks great ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Basko00 wrote:
Fharing45 wrote:

Ooh, that does look perfect. I do not believe I can achieve that with a sharp maker and diamond rods. But I’d like to. That looks like it cuts nice.
You can totally reprofile it on the Sharpmaker with diamond rods. I've done all sorts of steels on the SM. It takes a long time depending on steel, but it can be done, I proved it to myself. There are much better tools to get things profiled much faster though.
That said, I have 2 of the PE's and I took one down to a similar 17dps and another down further to 14dps. They cut so much better than out of the box.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

troutinCO wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:15 am
Basko00 wrote:
Fharing45 wrote:

You can totally reprofile it on the Sharpmaker with diamond rods. I've done all sorts of steels on the SM. It takes a long time depending on steel, but it can be done, I proved it to myself. There are much better tools to get things profiled much faster though.
That said, I have 2 of the PE's and I took one down to a similar 17dps and another down further to 14dps. They cut so much better than out of the box.
What is your preference between the two dps ? Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I was carrying the 17dps for a bit, I have switched back over to the 14dps. I feel it is more slice-y, which I seem to prefer more in my day to day stuff. Considering they were both well over 20dps, even the 17dps edge felt much better cutting things up. I love the edge I can put onto Cruwear.
Lamont Sanford

Post by Lamont Sanford »

Lamont Sanford wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:56 pm
I just wanted to thank JD Spyderco and the other forum members who were involved in getting this bought back to market. I have wanted one for years. I looked and looked when I saw they were going to be a Sprint Run. No luck anywhere at typical big name companies. I learned here of Sooner State Knives, which I had never heard of. Was able to pick up two SEs before they went out of stock. My favorite Spyderco by far and I own a few. Thank you all.
Again thank you. I was able to pick up a PE also. Like I mentioned previously, I've been wanting one of these for years & now have 3.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

troutinCO wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:29 am
I was carrying the 17dps for a bit, I have switched back over to the 14dps. I feel it is more slice-y, which I seem to prefer more in my day to day stuff. Considering they were both well over 20dps, even the 17dps edge felt much better cutting things up. I love the edge I can put onto Cruwear.
Thank you much appreciated ! I think I will give it a try . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

Was thinking of changing the tip angle of the SE Ayoob. Any one tried that yet? Suggestions?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Lamont Sanford wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:16 pm
Lamont Sanford wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:56 pm
I just wanted to thank JD Spyderco and the other forum members who were involved in getting this bought back to market. I have wanted one for years. I looked and looked when I saw they were going to be a Sprint Run. No luck anywhere at typical big name companies. I learned here of Sooner State Knives, which I had never heard of. Was able to pick up two SEs before they went out of stock. My favorite Spyderco by far and I own a few. Thank you all.
Again thank you. I was able to pick up a PE also. Like I mentioned previously, I've been wanting one of these for years & now have 3.
Over the years I've talked to over a dozen fellow collector/users that once they got a C-60 Ayoob model they didn't settle for just one. They soon wanted both edge types and started using the C-60 for a wide range of different uses. Also it is one of the few Spyderco models that people tend to like the PE & SE just as much.

The bottom line is that once you use one of these C-60 Ayoob models they tend to grow on you. Once a person uses and/or EDCs a C-60 model it soon becomes one of their favorites. And that's the way it got me hooked. After using one on a hunting trip it very quickly became one of my favorite Spyderco models to use and to use hard. It will always be one of my top 5 all time favorites.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I'd love to hear ladybug93's thoughts on tip-up vs. tip-down...
- Richard
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 pm
i bought this knife thinking i'd carry it tip down (the way it was designed) on my weak side. i figured i'd be able to draw it and open it easily with the thumb hole being exposed as i take it out of my pocket. i was right, but i didn't expect the knife to be so thin that having it in my back pocket would cause the scales to warp a bit. not a big deal, but not something i wanted to continue doing.

i switched to tip up to try it out for a bit. this is my preferred carry method for pocket knives. it's a little awkward with this knife because of the way it sits in the pocket and with the large hump. i'll probably continue to carry it this way and just carry it when i only want to carry a single knife.

this is why i wished the knife was a salt. i typically carry a pe knife in my pocket and a se salt in my waistband as a backup and for emergencies. if i only carry a single knife, it's almost always se. with this one being cruwear, i don't want to carry it iwb though.

i did like the knife better tip down, but it didn't work out for me and the way i carry. it works better tip up for me, but it still feels awkward. it's all just my own preferences though. this bigger issue for me is how the screws won't stay tight enough and the clip keeps coming loose. time to try some locktite.

after thinking through this post, i think i'm just going to move the clip back to tip down. i'll just have to find a better way to carry it that fits the steel and my needs. it's a great knife design, but i'm already planning something else that i hope works better for me and i'll probably not carry this one often. i hope that's helpful rambling.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

When I wear jeans, I often tip down carry with the knife on the high side of my front pockets (the side toward my inner thigh). I find it gets in the way less than doing tip up on the opposite side of the pocket. It doesn't work as well on pants that don't have a jeans style pocket though. It's worth a try if you can't carry it in your back pocket.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

riclaw wrote:
I do love the newly added versatility of the newer Cruwear C-60 Ayoob model. You can configurate it to suit whatever preferences you might have.

I'm also hoping that more people will continue to let us know if they have gotten the C-60 Sprint Run in SE or PE. It seems like the overall demand is about equal from what I can tell.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Thanks, ladybug93! I think I'll change the orientation on mine and see how I like it. I want to take a Ti clip off of the Caribbean first. The gray clip on gray scales will be less obtrusive, and I want to keep the spyder logo on the clip.
- Richard
R100

Post by R100 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 am
riclaw wrote:
I do love the newly added versatility of the newer Cruwear C-60 Ayoob model. You can configurate it to suit whatever preferences you might have.

I'm also hoping that more people will continue to let us know if they have gotten the C-60 Sprint Run in SE or PE. It seems like the overall demand is about equal from what I can tell.
I got the SE and I love it. I was really lucky with the grind and got a snaggle tooth but with the serrations cut at around 15° or slightly less. I just reprofiled the PE at the tip and it cuts like nothing else. I am really impressed with the overall build quality and recently decided to buy a PE as well. Unfortunately I seem to have left my run too late and cannot find one at a retailer who will ship to Australia. I am constantly checking and sending emails but no luck so far. I will probably pass on the G10 Stretch XL because as far as I can tell the build quality will disappoint me after the Ayoob. Not that I think it will be worse than my G10 Endura or Police 3 but the Ayoob is on a whole other level. The grind is obviously not as slicey as ffg but I have plenty of slicers and the Ayoob's design just makes it a great cutter.

Dan
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

Couple recent thoughts-

My SE is ground >20*, so the sharpmaker does not work intuitively (held perpendicular to the earth i mean). What is another quality sharpening system that works well with serrated blades, specifically like the new ayoob?

2nd, I have a se snaggletooth but actually like the tooth flaw a lot after using it. I was skeptical at first but It acts like a shallow cutting box cutter or hooked blade for opening things. Functionally, the snuggle tooth adds utility imo. I'm now a fan.

Last, I've carried this knife every day since release. I love the edge Cruwear takes. Love it. After a quick stroping the PE is almost a laser even at 40* factory edge. I'll thin to 15-17 at some point and look forward based on people's reports here.

But both my blades have semi permanent staining or micro pitting even after using dry silicone lubes. I take relatively good care of them but also carry daily. Stainless is just better for EDC to me and this reminds me I'm only interested in Stainless blades. (unless it's an Ayoob. Because this knife rules. It's the knife that got me into knives. Long live the Ayoob)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

R100 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:28 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 am
riclaw wrote:

I got the SE and I love it. I was really lucky with the grind and got a snaggle tooth but with the serrations cut at around 15° or slightly less. I just reprofiled the PE at the tip and it cuts like nothing else. I am really impressed with the overall build quality and recently decided to buy a PE as well. Unfortunately I seem to have left my run too late and cannot find one at a retailer who will ship to Australia. I am constantly checking and sending emails but no luck so far. I will probably pass on the G10 Stretch XL because as far as I can tell the build quality will disappoint me after the Ayoob. Not that I think it will be worse than my G10 Endura or Police 3 but the Ayoob is on a whole other level. The grind is obviously not as slicey as ffg but I have plenty of slicers and the Ayoob's design just makes it a great cutter.

Dan
Very interesting observations you make there "R100". Because the geometry of the blade design really make the C-60 Ayoob a superb blade in so many aspects. And it really works equally as well with PE & SE both from what I can tell so far. The serrated unit sharpens up better than most Spyderco full SE blades I've ever owned and used. I've only seen one other Spyderco model that has the aggressive bite of the full SE C-60 Ayoob and that was the old AUS-8 Catcherman in full SE. Both models have a really superb full SE pattern.

Both the PE & SE Ayoob models will be in my "user rotation" for quite some time to come. I just hope that the good people at Spyderco take note of all of that. The C-60 Ayoob Cruwear Sprint Run is a super success on so many levels IMO.