C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:54 am
What size are the tiny screws on the Ayoob? T5 Torx?

I have a T6 and that is too large.
I got some grit in between the lock bar and liner, so I may need to take it apart for the first time. Any tricks I should be aware of?
Also the pivot screw is T7? If so, both screw sizes are 1 smaller than usual, no? (T6/T8 seems common on most others)

Also I finally fixed the horrible 45* SE tip, and also reduced the snaggletooth slightly in the process. I just freehand re-profiled the tip with the Sharpmaker brown stone in about 10 minutes. It was kinda ugly, as you could see each individual push/pull of the stone since the area is convex, but this completely disappeared with just a few passes on the a 4 micron stroop!
Its so much more pokey now! As it should be, finally. I recommend everyone re-profile the tip. I am no sharpening master, but it was pretty easy and turned out well IMO

https://imgur.com/a/AZZJ4VX
Great job , hard work paid off ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:54 am
What size are the tiny screws on the Ayoob? T5 Torx?

I have a T6 and that is too large.
I got some grit in between the lock bar and liner, so I may need to take it apart for the first time. Any tricks I should be aware of?
Also the pivot screw is T7? If so, both screw sizes are 1 smaller than usual, no? (T6/T8 seems common on most others)

Also I finally fixed the horrible 45* SE tip, and also reduced the snaggletooth slightly in the process. I just freehand re-profiled the tip with the Sharpmaker brown stone in about 10 minutes. It was kinda ugly, as you could see each individual push/pull of the stone since the area is convex, but this completely disappeared with just a few passes on the a 4 micron stroop!
Its so much more pokey now! As it should be, finally. I recommend everyone re-profile the tip. I am no sharpening master, but it was pretty easy and turned out well IMO

https://imgur.com/a/AZZJ4VX
There are so many different modifications you could do with the C-60 Ayoob ( Sprint or older models). I remember those custom blade grinds that were done on several C-60 Ayoob models by Tom Krein a few years back.

There are so many different things you could do not only to the blade but the handle has a lot of possibilities as well.

When the apparent flaws on a few of the Cruwear Ayoob models ( especially on the serrated versions) came to light I was somewhat baffled. But I can see that there are several potential remedies and it seems like you did great with yours.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Knives Plus has a couple original BNIB collector's editions of the aluminum and VG-10 C60 Ayoob for sale, both PE and SE, for all y'all that may be interested. Some other stuff too.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:41 pm
Knives Plus has a couple original BNIB collector's editions of the aluminum and VG-10 C60 Ayoob for sale, both PE and SE, for all y'all that may be interested. Some other stuff too.
Thanks, Rm. Link:
https://www.knivesplus.com/new-knives-s ... rco+Knives
- Richard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's an incredible find. And the prices on those older C-60 models were not nearly as bad as I would have thought.

Not to mention all the other great GOLDEN ERA models in that line up as well.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:52 pm
That's an incredible find. And the prices on those older C-60 models were not nearly as bad as I would have thought.

Not to mention all the other great GOLDEN ERA models in that line up as well.
The owner has been selling off their personal collection, a tranche at a time, for the last few years by occasionally listing them alongside his new inventory. Lot of collector's edition Spydies in the mix. They've released other golden era Spydies before but this is probably the biggest batch of them I've seen hit their site and definitely the first time I've seen an original Ayoob there. He's taking a nice profit after all these years of keeping them sitting around BNIB but you're right, the prices are still doable, especially for people who have been looking for these pieces for a while.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

RidgeRunner Blades:
SpyderEdge... https://ridgerunnerblades.com/product/s ... dles-lockback-c60gsgy/

PlainEdge... https://ridgerunnerblades.com/product/spyderco-ayoob/

Edit: Out of stock
•• Beau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:41 pm
RidgeRunner Blades:
SpyderEdge... https://ridgerunnerblades.com/product/s ... dles-lockback-c60gsgy/

PlainEdge... https://ridgerunnerblades.com/product/spyderco-ayoob/

Edit: Out of stock
Hey I love it!! Still looking for any Sprint Run, Cruwear Ayoob models on dealer's shelves after all this time. You just know in your gut that there are more of those out there ( probably a couple of plain edge) but it's getting to where finding them is quite an accomplishment. When all is said and done we do sincerely appreciate all you did on this project Buddafucco :cheap-sunglasses
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Neither should you shut up JD.
I would like to see a new one as true to the old one as possible.
No razzle dazzle new look, just classic Spyderco.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:59 am
Neither should you shut up JD.
I would like to see a new one as true to the old one as possible.
No razzle dazzle new look, just classic Spyderco.
O.
Hey dude it's great to hear from you again. I think you've missed the entire Sprint Run of the C-60 from what you're saying. They did a nice Sprint Run of the C-60 about a year ago with Cruwear blades and G-10 handles. It's a fabulous Sprint Run and I believe one of the very best that Spyderco has ever blessed us with. I can't tell you how good it is to hear from you again. I haven't heard from Bloke from down your way in a long time either. I heard that there is a lot of turbulent events going on where you guys live. My prayers are with both of you.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Can we have a lightweight version and wire clip🙂
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Polecat wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:08 pm
Can we have a lightweight version and wire clip🙂
I personally love the design of the C-60 so much that I wouldn't care what type of construction they would elect to do another run of the C-60 Ayoob with. I can see where a lightweight version of the C-60 would have some advantages. Maybe a Titanium version would suit many people's desires?

Also I'm still hoping that someday we'll see a SALT version of the C-60 in SE & PE both at some point down the road.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

OK JD, while out deer hunting I took the opportunity to take pics of my hunting knife.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

2024 I'm dreaming of a magnacut Ayoob. Both SE and PE Please.
Calling JD more Ayoob,more, more. :smiling-hearts :smiling-hearts :smiling-hearts
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:56 pm
2024 I'm dreaming of a magnacut Ayoob. Both SE and PE Please.
Calling JD more Ayoob,more, more. :smiling-hearts :smiling-hearts :smiling-hearts
As successful as the Cruwear Ayoob was in the past year I'm certain that if they did more C-60 Ayoob models in different blade steels they would sell rapidly. The C-60 Ayoob has most certainly picked up several new fans in the run of the Cruwear Sprint Run.

From all the praises I've heard about Magnacut steel I have no doubt that the C-60 Ayoob model would perform well in a wide range of blade steels. Bring it on is my reply!! I just hope Mr. Glesser and Company feel the same way.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Fharing45 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:51 pm
OK JD, while out deer hunting I took the opportunity to take pics of my hunting knife.
Fharing45, have you skinned some deer with it? I always thought the blade shape would be great for it, but wondering how the angle of the handle works out. Best Regards, Dave
Dave
USAF Retired
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

petz462 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:23 am
Fharing45 wrote:
Fharing45, have you skinned some deer with it? I always thought the blade shape would be great for it, but wondering how the angle of the handle works out. Best Regards, Dave
Yes I used it last year on 2 deer.I was using the SE Ayoob. The angle of the handle is incredible. Field dressed and quartered with it.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Fharing45 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:29 am
petz462 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:23 am
Fharing45 wrote:

Yes I used it last year on 2 deer.I was using the SE Ayoob. The angle of the handle is incredible. Field dressed and quartered with it.

That's excellent. I may have to keep an eye out for one on the secondary market. Yes it would be nice if they'd do a Sprint run in Magnacut or even something else if quicker/easier to source in Japan.
Dave
USAF Retired
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

The largest decision is which to carry in the woods. PE has the advantage skinning, and cleaner cuts. SE is a beast, it makes short work of cartilage, and tendons, and does fair skinning. Both are perfection.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:50 pm
The largest decision is which to carry in the woods. PE has the advantage skinning, and cleaner cuts. SE is a beast, it makes short work of cartilage, and tendons, and does fair skinning. Both are perfection.
Your regimen is similar to mine. Two of my favorite Spyderco blades to take on a hunting or fishing trip are my two TEMPERANCE 1 models ( SE & PE). Because Spyderedged blades along with plain edged blades both work in tandem for a complete field dressing and processing.

I'm seriously considering replacing my fixed blade TEMP 1 blades with my two C-60 Cruwear Ayoob blades for my outdoor ventures. Just another reason to lobby for more C-60 Ayoob folders to be available soon.