Hospital Survival Reward!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Hospital Survival Reward!

Post by Sumdumguy »

So, today was interesting!

A very special knife was being delivered that I have been after for a long time, very exciting.

HOWEVER! Something inside me decided to attack at about 1am and after about 8 hours of the worst pain I've ever experienced, my wife made me go to the hospital(30 minutes before it was delivered...) to see what exactly was wrong.

It turns out I have an inflamed gallbladder, with stones in it. Joy of all joys! They wanted to remove my gallbladder right then, but I wanted to do some more research before I commit to having them remove something from my body. I may go back, but for now I am going to change my diet, take the antibio regiment and see if I can't dissolve the stones, the way my father did back in the day when he had them.

Anyways! After that whole ordeal, I finally got home and immediately tore into my package. >:)

Boy, am I happy! Behold, the newest member of my personal collection.

Ridiculously expensive, but the condition was accutate. NOS, Edge-u-cation and everything! The sad part is, I don't know if I can ever bring myself to use it, but it sure is nice to look at!

Either way, it was a nice thing to come home to, given how my day had been going. Another knife that Spyderco knocked out of the park!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Re: Hospital Survival Reward!

Post by The Meat man »

Sorry to hear of your ordeal Sumdumguy! :( Hope you recover quickly!

Very nice knife. I don't know of I've ever seen a Spyderco folder without the Hole!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Sorry to hear about that, mate. I hope you feel better soon.

I must admit I’ll be looking forward to seeing some of your new dietary concoctions in the ‘Watcha got cookin?’ thread though. :D ;) :p

Wow, that’s a lovely knife. Well done jigged bone is such an aesthetically appealing handle material.

That’s a Moki made knife, I’m guessing? At their best, few can compare with them as far as production knives go.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

My father-in-law just had his gall bladder removed last week! This was his 3rd or 4th gall attack, though, so it was time. I'm glad you had a beautiful consolation prize at least!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sucks. Hope you get'em dissolved. I've had kidney stones but no gallbladder stones yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Best wishes and get well soon SDG!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Hope the recovery goes well, SDG!

You've definitely added an incredible piece to your collection. Congrats! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I wish spyderco would do one more run of these. Such a great looking knife. Congrats on the grail.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Very nice knife! I would not use that one myself, it would be handled and admired often however.

I had a friend who had his gallbladder removed do to similar pain and stones. He said later that he did not realize how much pain he was in constantly until it was gone. For him it was worth it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Thanks for the well wishes guys! It won't be that easy to get rid of me ;)
Cambertree wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 pm

I must admit I’ll be looking forward to seeing some of your new dietary concoctions in the ‘Watcha got cookin?’ thread though. :D ;) :p

Wow, that’s a lovely knife. Well done jigged bone is such an aesthetically appealing handle material.

That’s a Moki made knife, I’m guessing? At their best, few can compare with them as far as production knives go.
It is a Moki. C27 Jess Horn, from back when the old man was running the place. Excellent quality.

As for the new diet; you and me both! I'm having cantaloupe for breakfast, instead of sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy... haha

JuPaul wrote: My father-in-law just had his gall bladder removed last week! This was his 3rd or 4th gall attack, though, so it was time. I'm glad you had a beautiful consolation prize at least!
This was number four.

I didn't know it before, because I just attributed them to gas pains and they would go away after an hour or two.

Did he have any side effects? I'm leery of getting it removed, because my grandfather did and he had to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY aftet eating anything.
Evil D wrote: Image

Sucks. Hope you get'em dissolved. I've had kidney stones but no gallbladder stones yet.
Hehe.

I had kidney stones once, aswell. That was about as miserable as this was. I'd take just about any ailment over either stones.

Edit: Antisemitic Typo. It's a Jess Horn, not a Jews Horn... haha
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
jdw

Post by jdw »

Nice consolation prize! Stay well!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:14 am
Thanks for the well wishes guys! It won't be that easy to get rid of me ;)
Cambertree wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 pm

It is a Moki. C27 Jews Horn, from back when the old man was running the place. Excellent quality.

As for the new diet; you and me both! I'm having cantaloupe for breakfaat, instead of sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy... haha

JuPaul wrote: My father-in-law just had his gall bladder removed last week! This was his 3rd or 4th gall attack, though, so it was time. I'm glad you had a beautiful consolation prize at least!
This was number four.

I didn't know it before, because I just attributed them to gas pains and they would go away after an hour or two.

Did he have any side effects? I'm leery of getting it removed, because my grandfather did and he had to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY aftet eating anything.
Evil D wrote: Image

Hehe.

I had kidney stones once, aswell. That was about as miserable as this was. I'd take just about any ailment over either stones.
My FIL is only a week into recovery, so hard to say about long-term side effects. The surgeon was able to remove it laproscopically, though, so the recovery hasn't been as rough as it could be. But as you mentioned, I think the biggest changes for him will be determined by how well he manages his diet now. Limiting fatty foods is a must. I will say, though, his previous attacks sound worse than yours have been - he's been in the ER twice before this last time. So hopefully diet will help you avoid any more without surgery!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 am
My FIL is only a week into recovery, so hard to say about long-term side effects. The surgeon was able to remove it laproscopically, though, so the recovery hasn't been as rough as it could be. But as you mentioned, I think the biggest changes for him will be determined by how well he manages his diet now. Limiting fatty foods is a must. I will say, though, his previous attacks sound worse than yours have been - he's been in the ER twice before this last time. So hopefully diet will help you avoid any more without surgery!
Laparoscopy is what they want to use here, aswell.

My previous attacks were the same intensity, it was just the duration that was different. It's miserable. Basically, strip down naked, roll across the floor and run/jump around the house, "mooing" in pain. Also, scalding showers and copious amounts of water/cranberry juice.(thought it was kidney stones)

I am seriously afraid of hospitals. I would rather deal with most any pain than go. But, after 8 hours of me "mooing" with no relief, my wife forced me. I'm a strange duck.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Oops, quoted instead of edited.

-Thomas Jefferson
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hope you feel better! That doesn't sound fun at all.

The knife though, WOW!!! Super classy!! I'd also have a tough time using it. I never knew Spyderco made something like that. Seems like quite the grail knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I hope you can sort it out with a dietary change; it's always best to resolve things without needing invasive surgery.
At least we'll know that minty fresh C27 is there to put a smile on your face in the meantime! :D
Congratulations on a grail in fantastic condition!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VashHash wrote: I wish spyderco would do one more run of these. Such a great looking knife. Congrats on the grail.
I would LOVE to see them do a bolstered Baby Horn with Jigged Bone. I'd buy atleast two. I'm going to have to settle for the SpyOpera for now. But, maybe someday!
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:22 am
Hope you feel better! That doesn't sound fun at all.

The knife though, WOW!!! Super classy!! I'd also have a tough time using it. I never knew Spyderco made something like that. Seems like quite the grail knife!
Thanks, I'm feeling pretty good today.

It's an old one, that's for sure. I'm now trying to hunt down a less pristine example that I can actually use. Jess Horn made some fantastic designs, some of my favorites.
DutchBlades wrote: I hope you can sort it out with a dietary change; it's always best to resolve things without needing invasive surgery.
At least we'll know that minty fresh C27 is there to put a smile on your face in the meantime! :D
Congratulations on a grail in fantastic condition!
My thoughts exactly. I'll do just about anything to stay out of a hospital!

-Thomas Jefferson
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yiikes ... and Nice! Not bad for just one post!

I hope the stones clear up quickly. The only ones you want are triangular profile.
martiscore

Post by martiscore »

Kidney stones are a severe disease. I had a friend who had them. I remember how bad he was.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Glad you're feeling better!

Before I moved to TX I was here visiting. My girl and I went to a concert one night and afterward went we went for a burger at Whataburger. About 3:00 am I woke up in severe pain. The local hospital was close. So off to the emergency room we went. Turns out my gallbladder was toast. It was my own fault because I had issues off and on for awhile and I kept putting off getting it taken care of. The burger pushed the gallbladder over the edge haha. To this day I still haven't eaten at Whataburger :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!