Siren

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Siren

Postby Holland » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 am

I am really interested I'm the Siren, how is everyone liking theres?

Also, is anyone else interested in a 3inch version and/or a serrated option ?
-Spencer

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3987
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Siren

Postby The Meat man » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am

Serrated would be neat.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3314
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Siren

Postby abbazaba » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 am

I just received mine in the mail today. Initial impressions are great... It feels thin and light, has good ergos, and mines a free dropper with no blade play. As other's have mentioned, the G10 texture is extra aggressive, and there is no flat spot under the clip - This knife is not going anywhere.

If the looks appeal to you and are not "handle to blade ratio" obsessed I think you will be pleased.

blueblur
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: Siren

Postby blueblur » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm

I’ve carried mine every day since I received it, mid April, and absolutely love it. I quickly bought a second one. Every model with textured g10 should have this level of grip in my opinion. The action is the best I’ve experienced from any back lock, in smoothness, lock up and free swinging-ness. The overall design and handle shape is great and I really love the blue lined g10. It keeps the color interesting but is not too flashy while also not being too “boring” by just being black. The fact that it is a salt is just a bonus to me. I’m still forming my opinion on the steel as my uses don’t require much corrosion resistance and this is my first knife with this steel so I wouldn’t mind if it was in a steel I’m more familiar with. With the design goals though, I understand why it was selected. But every aspect of this knife is such a win for me I can get over any short comings I have with the steel.

I would definitely like to try a serrated version. I also would get a version in S30V, S90V or Cruwear. I would hope it’s not too difficult to come out with a serrated version as it would require minimal additional effort from the current version.

I would not be interested in a smaller version. There is just enough room for me to fit a four finger grip right before my pinky starts sliding off the butt so anything smaller would not work for me.

rodloos
Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Siren

Postby rodloos » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm

I really like my Siren. It's probably the most grippy (sp?) of any knife I have, but that is what I like about it, along with it being rust-proof but holding an edge longer that H1.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 18957
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Siren

Postby JD Spydo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am
Serrated would be neat.
Thank you "Meat Man" because I think any Spyderco model designed around marine use should be available in Spyderedge. I just can't understand why they wouldn't make every model associated with marine, food or uses in harsh environments also available in SE or at least CE :confused:

skeeg11
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Siren

Postby skeeg11 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:47 pm

Love my Siren and have sung its praises. The only thing that could make me love it more would be a fully serrated version. It's one of those things that feels like it ought to be or by the powers of Karnac should have been from the onset. Please make it happen.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3987
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Siren

Postby The Meat man » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:09 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am
Serrated would be neat.
Thank you "Meat Man" because I think any Spyderco model designed around marine use should be available in Spyderedge. I just can't understand why they wouldn't make every model associated with marine, food or uses in harsh environments also available in SE or at least CE :confused:
I just want to try SE LC200N after seeing what David has been putting his Caribbean through. ;)

I agree, it would make sense on this knife. As popular as this design is, I wouldn't be surprised if we'd see SE as an option not far into the future.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

fixall
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Siren

Postby fixall » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:11 pm

Mine lives in my tackle box and has handled everything I've thrown at it with ease. Great steel, great knife. Super smooth. I did soften the texture a bit under the clip so that it wouldn't eat my waders, but other than that, it's pretty perfect out of the box. The texture is very similar to the texture on the Benchmade Triage rescue knives if you've ever handled one of those.

Image

Image

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Siren

Postby Surfingringo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 pm

I would definitely buy a couple of serrated Sirens for my own use. I got my first serrated LC200N knife (Caribbean) a few months ago and have put it through some pretty hard use. The steel seems to perform well in serrated edge so I would definitely support a serrated version of the Siren.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Siren

Postby Woodpuppy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:26 am

Yeah man, I’d go for a SE Siren! And no, I don’t want a smaller one. Let’s go 4” instead!
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

soulspy
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:48 am
Location: NorCal

Re: Siren

Postby soulspy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:58 am

blueblur wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm
Every model with textured g10 should have this level of grip in my opinion.
I agree. After carrying mine for a couple of months, the G-10 edginess has smoothed out and now it's just the right amount of texture.

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: Siren

Postby Enactive » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 pm
I would definitely buy a couple of serrated Sirens for my own use. I got my first serrated LC200N knife (Caribbean) a few months ago and have put it through some pretty hard use. The steel seems to perform well in serrated edge so I would definitely support a serrated version of the Siren.
An SE variant would be great and makes a lot of sense. :spyder: :cool:

Edited to add:

On an SE blade that long, could be cool to have 1/2 inch PE tip and 3/4 inch PE at the heel. Haven't used such a configuration, but seems useful to me.

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Siren

Postby Surfingringo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:36 pm

blueblur wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm
I’ve carried mine every day since I received it, mid April, and absolutely love it. I quickly bought a second one. Every model with textured g10 should have this level of grip in my opinion. The action is the best I’ve experienced from any back lock, in smoothness, lock up and free swinging-ness. The overall design and handle shape is great and I really love the blue lined g10. It keeps the color interesting but is not too flashy while also not being too “boring” by just being black. The fact that it is a salt is just a bonus to me. I’m still forming my opinion on the steel as my uses don’t require much corrosion resistance and this is my first knife with this steel so I wouldn’t mind if it was in a steel I’m more familiar with. With the design goals though, I understand why it was selected. But every aspect of this knife is such a win for me I can get over any short comings I have with the steel.

I would definitely like to try a serrated version. I also would get a version in S30V, S90V or Cruwear. I would hope it’s not too difficult to come out with a serrated version as it would require minimal additional effort from the current version.

I would not be interested in a smaller version. There is just enough room for me to fit a four finger grip right before my pinky starts sliding off the butt so anything smaller would not work for me.
Hey Blueblur, love hearing that you’re enjoying your Siren! The idea of a smaller Siren is an interesting design challenge. I don’t have much use for dainty knives or 3 finger grips. If I designed a smaller Siren I would want it to accommodate a full 4 finger grip even for largish hands (like some of Spyderco’s other “Little Big Knives”). I’ve got some ideas and I think it could be done.

blueblur
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: Siren

Postby blueblur » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 pm

soulspy wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:58 am
blueblur wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm
Every model with textured g10 should have this level of grip in my opinion.
I agree. After carrying mine for a couple of months, the G-10 edginess has smoothed out and now it's just the right amount of texture.
Exactly. It’s good to see it on the yojumbo. Let’s hope the trend catches on.

blueblur
Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: Siren

Postby blueblur » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:36 pm
blueblur wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:01 pm
I’ve carried mine every day since I received it, mid April, and absolutely love it. I quickly bought a second one. Every model with textured g10 should have this level of grip in my opinion. The action is the best I’ve experienced from any back lock, in smoothness, lock up and free swinging-ness. The overall design and handle shape is great and I really love the blue lined g10. It keeps the color interesting but is not too flashy while also not being too “boring” by just being black. The fact that it is a salt is just a bonus to me. I’m still forming my opinion on the steel as my uses don’t require much corrosion resistance and this is my first knife with this steel so I wouldn’t mind if it was in a steel I’m more familiar with. With the design goals though, I understand why it was selected. But every aspect of this knife is such a win for me I can get over any short comings I have with the steel.

I would definitely like to try a serrated version. I also would get a version in S30V, S90V or Cruwear. I would hope it’s not too difficult to come out with a serrated version as it would require minimal additional effort from the current version.

I would not be interested in a smaller version. There is just enough room for me to fit a four finger grip right before my pinky starts sliding off the butt so anything smaller would not work for me.
Hey Blueblur, love hearing that you’re enjoying your Siren! The idea of a smaller Siren is an interesting design challenge. I don’t have much use for dainty knives or 3 finger grips. If I designed a smaller Siren I would want it to accommodate a full 4 finger grip even for largish hands (like some of Spyderco’s other “Little Big Knives”). I’ve got some ideas and I think it could be done.
It’s cool to hear you’re playing with different ideas. Spyderco definitely has done a great job making smaller knives ergonomic and easy to use but under normal circumstances I tend to gravitate towards models the size of the Siren, PM2, Manix, Endura, etc.

Thanks for designing such a knock out model!

Candyman
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Siren

Postby Candyman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 pm

This video just really shows how versatile the Siren is. I’ve been carrying mine since I got it and have fell in love with it. I use mine quite a bit in the garden as well as just in the backyard in general. Have even used it in the kitchen a couple times. I was cutting through some landscaping tarp that was about half a foot in the dirt yesterday and the one thing I really liked was that I was able to just take it into the kitchen sink and spray it with the faucet sprayer and the action was right back to where it was before. I have other knives I’ve done the same thing to and it was a friggin nightmare to get all the dirt and grit out.
https://youtu.be/0EUpbE0AmoY
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Siren

Postby Surfingringo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 am

Candyman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 pm
This video just really shows how versatile the Siren is. I’ve been carrying mine since I got it and have fell in love with it. I use mine quite a bit in the garden as well as just in the backyard in general. Have even used it in the kitchen a couple times. I was cutting through some landscaping tarp that was about half a foot in the dirt yesterday and the one thing I really liked was that I was able to just take it into the kitchen sink and spray it with the faucet sprayer and the action was right back to where it was before. I have other knives I’ve done the same thing to and it was a friggin nightmare to get all the dirt and grit out.
https://youtu.be/0EUpbE0AmoY
Thanks for the feedback on the Siren! Glad you’re enjoying yours!

User avatar
buccilli15
Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Siren

Postby buccilli15 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 am

I've been carrying one for a week now. Love it!
IMG_4647.JPG

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Siren

Postby Sumdumguy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 am
Candyman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:29 pm
This video just really shows how versatile the Siren is. I’ve been carrying mine since I got it and have fell in love with it. I use mine quite a bit in the garden as well as just in the backyard in general. Have even used it in the kitchen a couple times. I was cutting through some landscaping tarp that was about half a foot in the dirt yesterday and the one thing I really liked was that I was able to just take it into the kitchen sink and spray it with the faucet sprayer and the action was right back to where it was before. I have other knives I’ve done the same thing to and it was a friggin nightmare to get all the dirt and grit out.
https://youtu.be/0EUpbE0AmoY
Thanks for the feedback on the Siren! Glad you’re enjoying yours!
I'm jealous of that Ono you hooked.

Good eatin! :D


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aicolainen, Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Oloung1, Sildani, The Meat man and 38 guests