Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomH
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 am
Location: The ROC

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby TomH » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:05 am

Freediver wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:18 pm
Forum knife 2020.
I second that!
A burgundy handle might look nice.

User avatar
Mini2white
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby Mini2white » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Freediver wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:18 pm
Forum knife 2020.
I think the Mosquito is a wonderful historical knife. I also think that's where it should stay as a new one would take some of that away. I'd love to own one, but an original because of the story that does with it. In my mind that is what makes it special.

User avatar
Jurphaas
Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Leiden Netherlands

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby Jurphaas » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 am

Hi Guys, This is a nice topic as I have had the pleasure to receive a "Sal Mosquito" form Sal in Amsterdam when we staged the first Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam 2003/4. At that time I was still in the Military and stationed at the Naval Station in Amsterdam just next to the Naval Museum. Some years before that, I was stationed at the RNAF pilot training station at Sheppard Air force Base in Texas from 1997-2001. I was already a Spyderco user and knife collector. During that time I went up to visit the Arizona custom Knife show where I met Sal & Gail Glesser. Long story short, after my return back to the Netherlands, I received a Phone call from Gail telling that they would be in Amsterdam soon and she asked me if I would have time to help them getting around and to transtlate for them in Dutch and German. I became their driver when ever they were in the Netherlands. That was only the beginning. I recall that we did the first Spyderco "gathering" in a classroom at the Naval station where I was stationed. We welcomed 5/6 visitors and started telling about Spyderco and the knives. During that first meeting we had Sal presented me with my 'Mosquito'. I still have it and it makes me very proud. It is over 20 years ago that Gail asked me from the back seat of my car, while driving through Amsterdam, if I would like to work for Spyderco. Needless to say, that I am with Spyderco ever since. During that time in Amsterdam Sal gave me my "Mosquito"......
Jurphaas, Spyderco Euro rep.

fixall
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:45 am

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby fixall » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 am

Jurphaas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 am
Hi Guys, This is a nice topic as I have had the pleasure to receive a "Sal Mosquito" form Sal in Amsterdam when we staged the first Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam 2003/4. At that time I was still in the Military and stationed at the Naval Station in Amsterdam just next to the Naval Museum. Some years before that, I was stationed at the RNAF pilot training station at Sheppard Air force Base in Texas from 1997-2001. I was already a Spyderco user and knife collector. During that time I went up to visit the Arizona custom Knife show where I met Sal & Gail Glesser. Long story short, after my return back to the Netherlands, I received a Phone call from Gail telling that they would be in Amsterdam soon and she asked me if I would have time to help them getting around and to transtlate for them in Dutch and German. I became their driver when ever they were in the Netherlands. That was only the beginning. I recall that we did the first Spyderco "gathering" in a classroom at the Naval station where I was stationed. We welcomed 5/6 visitors and started telling about Spyderco and the knives. During that first meeting we had Sal presented me with my 'Mosquito'. I still have it and it makes me very proud. It is over 20 years ago that Gail asked me from the back seat of my car, while driving through Amsterdam, if I would like to work for Spyderco. Needless to say, that I am with Spyderco ever since. During that time in Amsterdam Sal gave me my "Mosquito"......
Jurphaas, Spyderco Euro rep.
What an awesome story! Thank you for sharing.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3010
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby Sumdumguy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 am

Jurphaas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 am
Hi Guys, This is a nice topic as I have had the pleasure to receive a "Sal Mosquito" form Sal in Amsterdam when we staged the first Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam 2003/4. At that time I was still in the Military and stationed at the Naval Station in Amsterdam just next to the Naval Museum. Some years before that, I was stationed at the RNAF pilot training station at Sheppard Air force Base in Texas from 1997-2001. I was already a Spyderco user and knife collector. During that time I went up to visit the Arizona custom Knife show where I met Sal & Gail Glesser. Long story short, after my return back to the Netherlands, I received a Phone call from Gail telling that they would be in Amsterdam soon and she asked me if I would have time to help them getting around and to transtlate for them in Dutch and German. I became their driver when ever they were in the Netherlands. That was only the beginning. I recall that we did the first Spyderco "gathering" in a classroom at the Naval station where I was stationed. We welcomed 5/6 visitors and started telling about Spyderco and the knives. During that first meeting we had Sal presented me with my 'Mosquito'. I still have it and it makes me very proud. It is over 20 years ago that Gail asked me from the back seat of my car, while driving through Amsterdam, if I would like to work for Spyderco. Needless to say, that I am with Spyderco ever since. During that time in Amsterdam Sal gave me my "Mosquito"......
Jurphaas, Spyderco Euro rep.
I knew my information wasn't too far off! >:)

Thanks for sharing your story. One of these days, I'm going to make it to an Amsterdam meet!

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 2622
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby Mushroom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 am

Jurphaas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 am
Hi Guys, This is a nice topic as I have had the pleasure to receive a "Sal Mosquito" form Sal in Amsterdam when we staged the first Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam 2003/4. At that time I was still in the Military and stationed at the Naval Station in Amsterdam just next to the Naval Museum. Some years before that, I was stationed at the RNAF pilot training station at Sheppard Air force Base in Texas from 1997-2001. I was already a Spyderco user and knife collector. During that time I went up to visit the Arizona custom Knife show where I met Sal & Gail Glesser. Long story short, after my return back to the Netherlands, I received a Phone call from Gail telling that they would be in Amsterdam soon and she asked me if I would have time to help them getting around and to transtlate for them in Dutch and German. I became their driver when ever they were in the Netherlands. That was only the beginning. I recall that we did the first Spyderco "gathering" in a classroom at the Naval station where I was stationed. We welcomed 5/6 visitors and started telling about Spyderco and the knives. During that first meeting we had Sal presented me with my 'Mosquito'. I still have it and it makes me very proud. It is over 20 years ago that Gail asked me from the back seat of my car, while driving through Amsterdam, if I would like to work for Spyderco. Needless to say, that I am with Spyderco ever since. During that time in Amsterdam Sal gave me my "Mosquito"......
Jurphaas, Spyderco Euro rep.
Thanks for sharing this with us, Jurphaas! :D
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Jurphaas
Member
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Leiden Netherlands

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby Jurphaas » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 am

Just to shed a little more light on this subject, I would like to explain that the yearly Amsterdam Spyderco Meet which is held on the Sunday before the Spyderco crew moves over to Germany for the IWA trade show. The Spyderco Amsterdam meet started many years ago as gesture to the fans while the syderco crew was acclimating in Amsterdam. All registered guests to the Meet receive a Spyderco gift bag. The bag includes a catalog and (among other goodies) a Spyderco knife. However, this has never been a 'Mosquito". These were really a one off thing from Sal. He had just a hand full of them and I happened to be one of the Lucky guys that received one. It has never been produced as such in the Spyderco factory. At the time Spyderco was a much smaller company as to today. This was really a thing that Sal created for him self.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby Woodpuppy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:21 am

Thank you for the extra info!
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
The CoPilot
Member
Posts: 1123
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA, Earth
Contact:

Re: Spyderco Mosquito Sprint

Postby The CoPilot » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:04 am

Jurphaas wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 am
Just to shed a little more light on this subject, I would like to explain that the yearly Amsterdam Spyderco Meet which is held on the Sunday before the Spyderco crew moves over to Germany for the IWA trade show. The Spyderco Amsterdam meet started many years ago as gesture to the fans while the syderco crew was acclimating in Amsterdam. All registered guests to the Meet receive a Spyderco gift bag. The bag includes a catalog and (among other goodies) a Spyderco knife. However, this has never been a 'Mosquito". These were really a one off thing from Sal. He had just a hand full of them and I happened to be one of the Lucky guys that received one. It has never been produced as such in the Spyderco factory. At the time Spyderco was a much smaller company as to today. This was really a thing that Sal created for him self.
Thanks for sharing these stories,Jurphaas! Much as we all would love to own a Mosquito, I do think some things should remain rare and special. I think you have one of them!

The Copilot
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, Evil D, GrandallK, Igi964, Majestic-12 [Bot], Theldraskien and 33 guests