Province users' opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichalZalewski

Province users' opinions

Post by MichalZalewski »

Hello my fellow knife aficionados.

I am in a great place at the moment as I have a bit of cash and a BLESSING of my wife to purchase Province  

I intend to use it, it wont be a drawer queen.

I have researched the forum and found only handfull reviews of this blade. Before purchase I would love to hear from real life users, all the good, bad and ugly about the knife.

Many thanks and kind regards

Michal
SG89

Re: Province users' opinions

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michal,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hi Michal, and welcome to the forum.

Definitely look at Bloke's thread (linked by SpyderGirl). I just re-read it and now I'm feeling a strong urge to go camping with my Province (and buy a back up, too).

My experience with the Province is basically "definitely buy one". It's a super impressive knife. Obviously it won't work for EDC unless you live somewhere like rural Alaska. Even here (rural Idaho), where you see people with handguns walking around, a knife the size of the Province draws comments ;) . But for general woods use, yard work, and even kitchen duty, I've found it very impressive. The 4v does rust, so I use Tuf-Glide on mine (it's not on regular kitchen duty), and so far I've been very pleased with it.
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 am
Hi Michal,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you very much it is a pleasure
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

Yeah

I have seen linked thread, was hoping for others input as well.

Absolutely love the knife and want to use it.

I live currently in UK so atm I will be using it mainly in my garden while looking for someone with a bit of wood to ask for permission to camp etc.

Related question, how would you damp proof the leather sheath, last thing I want is to get spots of rust on the blade.

Regards

Michal
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Even though I just received mine not too long ago, I'm going to weigh in(not much use). My priorities have been locating my first AR locally. Man, if you think Sprint runs are a challenge, try locating a new AR15 right now.

The Province is a thing of beauty. Plain and simple. Received my Boltaron sheath today. I ordered it because I wanted to be able to carry the knife and not worry about corrosion. Don't get me wrong, the leather sheath it comes with is solid.

This is without a doubt, the sharpest knife I have ever had from the factory. I ran my thumb down the edge(we all do it) and the only other time I've seen that thin of cut, was from a razor. 4V is no joke and I'm absolutely sure the Province will stand the test of time.

Anyone that's debating getting one, don't. It's a serious tool that demands respect. :p
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

I was considering boltaron sheath but i have a bad experience with those type od sheaths in general as they dull the blade.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome Michal! The Province is a real stunner to look at and Taichung nails (again) the fit and finish. Like others have said it came ridiculously sharp and it's HUGE!

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

Yes indeed.

The knife is very aesthetically pleasing😊. I hope the function matches the look😂👍.

To be honest I was always big fun of rugged blades for instance Svord von Tempsky bowie etc.and this kind of "good, old, faithfull" blades but there is something about the Province that appeals to me as well😂😂.

Temsky and Province is like Power vs Finesse or Terminator vs John Wick😂😂😂.

Cant wait for the blade, got shipped this morning, should have it Monday if lucky
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Congrats! If you haven't had any experience with CPM 4V you are in for a real treat.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

I hope so, would love to add to it smaller 4v knife and a folder but nothing available at the moment in uk in my price range.

Although i have been eyeballing bark river kephart in 4v.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have not used my Province yet. I am going to buy a 2nd one and sharpen the top swedge. I know of a handful of meatpacking companies in Chicago and I was wondering if they'd let me try the knives on them. I think 4 thrusts and 4 cuts, and I'd have a general idea on how they work on meat/bones.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

Got my Province and it is a stunning piece😊👍.

Perfect grind and possibly the sharpest knife out of the box i have ever had.
Light use at the moment, need to gain some confidence.

Only concern is the tip which is very stabby but seems delicate.

All in all, it is absolutely stunning knife and it has 1st and 2nd kind of cool, contrary to the review of a well known youtuber😊.

What is the sharpening angle on this beast, looks like between 18 and 20.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

MichalZalewski wrote: Got my Province and it is a stunning piece😊👍.

Perfect grind and possibly the sharpest knife out of the box i have ever had.
Light use at the moment, need to gain some confidence.

Only concern is the tip which is very stabby but seems delicate.

All in all, it is absolutely stunning knife and it has 1st and 2nd kind of cool, contrary to the review of a well known youtuber😊.

What is the sharpening angle on this beast, looks like between 18 and 20.
Great score! Rolled a tiny bit of my tip this weekend when I stuck it in the ground for this photo... :mad:

Could just barely feel the roll with my fingernail and tried to get a pic of it but you could barely tell from the shots. Couple passes on the brown rods from the sharmaker and it all better now :)
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

4v is a great steel but not indestructible I guess.

I am sure as long we use our beauty as a knife and not a prybar, we will be fine.

What angle did you use on Sharpmaker? 20?
MichalZalewski

Post by MichalZalewski »

Well guys

Very disappointed and confused.

As Mr Ankerson said himself, Province was designed to be used.

I did some very light chopping on a birch log and after few chops inspected the knife which now has 7 noticable rolls in the area of 1 to 1,5 of the blade that actually connected with the wood.

I really dont know what to think at the moment😕
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:21 am
Great score! Rolled a tiny bit of my tip this weekend when I stuck it in the ground for this photo... :mad:

Could just barely feel the roll with my fingernail and tried to get a pic of it but you could barely tell from the shots. Couple passes on the brown rods from the sharmaker and it all better now :)
Are you sure that it did not roll elsewhere? Did you stick it in wood for instance?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am
Are you sure that it did not roll elsewhere? Did you stick it in wood for instance?
It's possible, but I think it was me throwing it down to be cool and impress the wife and probably hit a rock a few inches down in the soil :cool:

She wasn't looking :(

Could have been from batoning through the wood with the dead blow hammer...
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michal,

Welcome to our forum.

If you are going to be chopping, I would suggest 20 degrees per side.

sal