Shaman Rex Sprint Alert Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
W7H2O

Re: Shaman Rex Sprint Alert Thread

Post by W7H2O »

Got lucky. Thanks gbcaffee .
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

Excellent, W7H20!

Sooner state is now out of the Shaman but still have the Lil Native and both Native 5 varieties in Rex 45 available.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

gbcaffee wrote: Excellent, W7H20!

Sooner state is now out of the Shaman but still have the Lil Native and both Native 5 varieties in Rex 45 available.
I still see the add to cart button. Just curious how you know?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sooner State isn't really an online focused business (which is probably obvious to anyone who's even casually glanced at the web site). I think he has to manually add the buttons, so sometimes you'll order something and he'll have to refund you and email you with an apology about being out of stock. Regardless, I've gotten very good service from them in the past and will continue to buy from them in the future. On out of stock orders it's never taken more than a day (two on weekends) for me to get an email and refund.
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I am the one Sharp Guy is talking about...I have bought two Spyderco knives i the last month or so and looking at the Shaman for a large folder and torn between the Rex45 and the SV30. SG already gave me advice but I am watching U tube with all these different blade steels. The Rex 45 would be ok but an Orange handle...I could take it or leave it....I would really love to get Carbon fiber scales. My Kapara is really nice...so I would not mind having my Shaman set up that way to.

A little history all my knives for the last 50 years have been cheap ones and I got my first real knife a Spyderco Kapara and it felt good checking out the different styles and blade steel has lite a fire in me. My second knife is a Sage 5.

I am still trying to decide which steel to get the SV30 or the Rex 45. ??

Signalman1
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

How comfortable are you with staying on top of corrosion?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JMM

Post by JMM »

How about we move the general discussion / support conversations off of the Alert thread over to this thread... I think those who are subscribed to the alerts thread will fair better in finding/getting one...

Cheers,

John

Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86841
Kesson

Post by Kesson »

just got one at knifejoker.

showing as still in stock.

best of luck.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Signalman1 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:19 pm
I am the one Sharp Guy is talking about...I have bought two Spyderco knives i the last month or so and looking at the Shaman for a large folder and torn between the Rex45 and the SV30. SG already gave me advice but I am watching U tube with all these different blade steels. The Rex 45 would be ok but an Orange handle...I could take it or leave it....I would really love to get Carbon fiber scales. My Kapara is really nice...so I would not mind having my Shaman set up that way to.

A little history all my knives for the last 50 years have been cheap ones and I got my first real knife a Spyderco Kapara and it felt good checking out the different styles and blade steel has lite a fire in me. My second knife is a Sage 5.

I am still trying to decide which steel to get the SV30 or the Rex 45. ??

Signalman1
I've put a volume of work through S30V and REX-45. There's a dramatic difference between the two when it comes to edge stability. With my usage, I see a night and day difference between them.

S30V, like other stainless steels, quickly accumulates reflective spots on the apex of the edge. When taking S30V to work I have to continuously resharpen those spots out of the edge. I'm not a hard user, but am a volume user. It doesn't take me more than a few months to start using up S30V if I take it to work everyday and keep it sharp.

Meanwhile with REX-45 I dont need to sharpen as often to maintain a crisp edge, plus when I do sharpen, I dont have to work out all of the little reflective dings in the edge. Because I don't have to sharpen as frequently and when I do sharpen, I dont have to remove much steel, the knife ends up lasting significantly longer.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Got one inbound from ye ole cutlery!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JMM

Post by JMM »

And... they're gone.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’m over this sprint run stuff.

I signed up at every knife website that has alerts, downloaded the Spyderco app & set up notifications, did everything I could to be notified about this release. I got nothing, zero notifications(yes I check my junk/spam folder).

Earlier this week, it went from not being released yet to being sold out everywhere and knives already on ebay being sold at $300-400, within like 4 days.
This **** doesn’t even make sense.

This limited edition/sprint run stuff seems to only serve flippers and resellers now.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Haunted House wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am

I signed up at every knife website that has alerts, downloaded the Spyderco app & set up notifications, did everything I could to be notified about this release. I got nothing, zero notifications(yes I check my junk/spam folder).

Earlier this week, it went from not being released yet to being sold out everywhere and knives already on ebay being sold at $300-400, within like 4 days.

This limited edition/sprint run stuff seems to only serve flippers and resellers now.
When it comes to sprints, chances are VERY UNLIKELY you'll receive a notification in time to be able to actually grab one. Best bet is to stay on top of the alert threads here.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
marshmallow

Post by marshmallow »

Yeah I gave up and I got myself S30V Shaman. I like it.
"stay puft."
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:07 am
Haunted House wrote:

When it comes to sprints, chances are VERY UNLIKELY you'll receive a notification in time to be able to actually grab one. Best bet is to stay on top of the alert threads here.
I think it's ridiculous that a person has to basically live on the forums to score a sprint run knife these days. Some people have jobs and responsibilities that make checking the forum every 5 minutes nearly impossible.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

SSD_777 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

I think it's ridiculous that a person has to basically live on the forums to score a sprint run knife these days. Some people have jobs and responsibilities that make checking the forum every 5 minutes nearly impossible.
Did you set up email notifications for this particular thread? Also part of it is just little things. Most shops still realease within business hours on work days, in their time zones etc. It is unrealistic to live on line, but the other side of that is we now live in a world where everybody has a computer in their pocket. If you have 90 seconds, you can google a sprint run on your phone multiple times a day.

Maybe Spyderco should just say, here is a sprint we are thinking about making. There will be a one or two week window where people who want one can sign up with credit card info, ready to be charged once the knife ships however long from then. Then they make however many depeding on demand, or if there is not enough interest they dont make it. This would give everyone who wants it an opporunity to get one. Would eliminate fomo, and would make resale much harder for the flippers.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Did you set up email notifications for this particular thread? Also part of it is just little things. Most shops still realease within business hours on work days, in their time zones etc. It is unrealistic to live on line, but the other side of that is we now live in a world where everybody has a computer in their pocket. If you have 90 seconds, you can google a sprint run on your phone multiple times a day.

Maybe Spyderco should just say, here is a sprint we are thinking about making. There will be a one or two week window where people who want one can sign up with credit card info, ready to be charged once the knife ships however long from then. Then they make however many depeding on demand, or if there is not enough interest they dont make it. This would give everyone who wants it an opporunity to get one. Would eliminate fomo, and would make resale much harder for the flippers.
I think that's a excellent idea from the POV of buyers. I don't know if it makes business sense for Spyderco though. Part of the Sprint Run model is driving a sense of scarcity and value which encourages people to buy knives they might not otherwise buy. I can confess that this psychology works on me. I have purchased 3 knives from the Rex45 run (native lw, lil native, and shaman) mostly because I had to make a split second decision bc I knew they'd sell out. Although I'm happy with all 3 had I had time to weigh my choices (and talk to my wife about it :) ) I may not have pulled the trigger on all three. I know this is a matter of self discipline but if I were in business making a collectible product I know I'd want to create a sense of scarcity like Spyderco has achieved. And I think that for a lot of people, myself included, if you miss out on one that you really wanted it just makes you that much more determined for the next one.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

samdasnake wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I think that's a excellent idea from the POV of buyers. I don't know if it makes business sense for Spyderco though. Part of the Sprint Run model is driving a sense of scarcity and value which encourages people to buy knives they might not otherwise buy. I can confess that this psychology works on me. I have purchased 3 knives from the Rex45 run (native lw, lil native, and shaman) mostly because I had to make a split second decision bc I knew they'd sell out. Although I'm happy with all 3 had I had time to weigh my choices (and talk to my wife about it :) ) I may not have pulled the trigger on all three. I know this is a matter of self discipline but if I were in business making a collectible product I know I'd want to create a sense of scarcity like Spyderco has achieved. And I think that for a lot of people, myself included, if you miss out on one that you really wanted it just makes you that much more determined for the next one.
I understand what you are saying. But Spyderco wouldnt lose money either. They could choose not to make it if there is not enough intetest. Or they would sell more directly to the consumer compared to a fixed amount of some sprint run. The scarcity is exactly at the limit it needs to be during that time. The agreement for the product to be paid for is already there.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:50 pm
I understand what you are saying. But Spyderco wouldnt lose money either. They could choose not to make it if there is not enough intetest. Or they would sell more directly to the consumer compared to a fixed amount of some sprint run. The scarcity is exactly at the limit it needs to be during that time. The agreement for the product to be paid for is already there.
I think Spyderco would lose money in all of the testing they do, for each of these steels, optimizing the HT for them and whatnot, if they didn't bring it to market simply because they didn't garner enough interest from the fanbase beforehand. That's one way where I see them losing money in the scenario presented.
--Jeremy
JMM

Post by JMM »

JMM wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:12 pm
How about we move the general discussion / support conversations off of the Alert thread over to this thread... I think those who are subscribed to the alerts thread will fair better in finding/getting one...

Cheers,

John

Shaman Rex45 Sprint - General Discussion & Support thread - (not alerts)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86841
Can we *PLEASE* move all non-alert (in-stock/availability) conversations to the thread ^^ above ^^ for folks subscribed to this thread who are working or can't get be at a computer refreshing every 5 minutes.