What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Post by MacLaren »

The Vallotton.
Wicked tip strength and a very nice hallow grind make the Vallotton a very nice edc.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Mantra 2. I don't understand why it isn't more popular. Pretty much checks all the EDC boxes for me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:36 pm
Temperance 2. It is beautiful, capable, and balanced. Also many of the Byrd line perform well and represent amazing bang for your buck.
I agree with Bill on this one. But don't forget the model that virtually no one knows about in this present era. And it was the true predecessor of the TEMP 2. And Logically I'm speaking about the TEMPERANCE 1 model in SE & PE both. These two models will eventually go down as two of Spyderco's best all around fixed blade models. And both were Spyderco "In House" designs as well.

As far as a sleeper or a knife that is ignored and/or underappreciated I would have to go with the C-39 Dyad Jr. You've got two great small blades in one folder and two great edge types for just about any small to medium cutting job you might encounter.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:00 am
The Caly and Caly 3.5 certainly have their dedicated users, but you don’t tend to hear much fanfare for such a great knife design.

An excellent design. The Caly 3" is still, after all these years, after owning sooo many knives, the one most likely to go in the pocket. I like the 3.5" too, but I think the 3" is perfection.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Red wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:47 pm
0BBBEEA7-1CFD-483A-AC0D-BF4F9C9BCBF3.jpeg
For me its gotta be the Resilience, such a fun knife for not alot of money. I have had 2 for over 6 years and live in a saltwater environment and neither blade has rusted. They are razor sharp, like 5” razor blades. I just love them.
I gotta agree here Red, just received my resilience and im thrilled.
Really good finish, perfect centering, no blade play, nice big blade perfect for food prep.
You get a lot of bang for buck with this knife and fills a nice hole in the collection with a bigger blade.
It has a better grind than both my PM2 and P3 which both had very wavy grinds that have taken hundreds of passes on the sharp maker to try and get the waves out.
Maybe I just got a good resilience but it seems really good quality.

Nice to hear you are near salt and you've had no rust, im on the water too and whilst I won't be treating this knife like my native 5 salt its nice to know you're near the salt with no issues.
Id like to see a higher rust resistant ss used in the value and Byrd lines but im looking forward to putting the 8cr13 through its paces.

This is my first dive into Chinese Spydercos after only owning Golden and Taichung, and im really impressed.
Thanks Spyderco.

The Reinhold Rhino is my other pick, fantastic little knife with a nice big belly on the blade.
Really nice and unusual design for a small folder.
Last edited by Salty Dog on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:00 am
The Caly and Caly 3.5 certainly have their dedicated users, but you don’t tend to hear much fanfare for such a great knife design.

An excellent design. The Caly 3" is still, after all these years, after owning sooo many knives, the one most likely to go in the pocket. I like the 3.5" too, but I think the 3" is perfection.

Never owned either 3 or 3.5, but if the rumored Caly 3.5 LW ever becomes reality it is a must have for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)