What Is Your Favorite Go-To Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: What Is Your Favorite Go-To Spyderco?

Post by Notsurewhy »

Native 5 lw is my go to.

To me, it's biggest strength is its lack of real weaknesses. When I'm talking about it's virtues, there is nothing that makes me say "but". E.g. "I love the dragonfly/chaparral, BUT it's too short for my primary edc" "I love the kapara BUT it jumps out of my pocket". "I love the manix BUT it's a pocket hog". Endura but too big. Para3 but thick blade and ergos. Etc.

All that said, if they made a 3.25-3.5 in blade native between the 5 and the chief, it would kick the 5 out of my pocket immediately.
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

My favorite go-to Spyderco? Probably my Navigator II. Currently I have been carrying a Lil Native and I really like that knife.I just switched over to the back-lock from the compression lock. I am not overly fond of the compression lock but I got it at a good price and it allowed me to try it out. I am digging the back-lock version. I am also VERY fond of the Meerkat too!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Can't just pick one. :D

For me, the Stretch (1 and 2). The Native family (Native 5, Shaman, Chief) and the SpydieChef are staples.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The Siren kicked the Endura out of my pocket lately.

Great ergos.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Native salt
Dfly salt serrated
PARA 3 s110v
juggler

Post by juggler »

It's been the S110V Native 5 for quite some time now... but I have a feeling the Watu might change that.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have been EDCing my M390 Military model that I feel deeply in love with about 3 & 1/2 years ago. You would think that is my fav. But actually it isn't. My overall favorite Spyderco folder is the older C-60 Massad Ayoob model. That C-60 Ayoob model is probably the most ergonomic design I've ever had in my hands ever. What I wouldn't give for a C-60 Ayoob in a newer/better blade steel. But it's still pretty awesome with VG-10.

And I'll also give honorable mention to my lost G-10 Harpy as my favorite companion folder ever.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

That would have to be one of my gen 1 Mantras. I liked the first one so much I bought a second one and swapped the clip to the other side for left hand carry. Learning how to open and close it left handed was a easy. Having the flipper means it’s just as easy to open left handed, without the finely tuned motor skills of my right hand. The flipper or Round Hole work well for opening the blade when I’m at work wearing Nitrile gloves.

The size of the handle at the top of the clip means it doesn’t take up a lot of real estate in your pocket opening. (Compared to, say, a Native 5.) For example, Levi’s 505 jeans have a fairly wide pocket opening for my size hands, Levi’s 501’s have a narrower opening. I can put my hand in 501’s and pull out keys, Chap Stick, or a SAK without the Mantra coming out, too. The deep clip keeps the knife low enough in your pocket that it doesn’t interfere with other stuff situated on your belt when sitting.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't have a single favorite. My go-to for EDC is the PM2. My go-to as a work knife is the Manix 2. They are somewhat interchangeable in that I like the Manix 2 for EDC but I don't like the PM2 as much as a work knife due to the thin tip. The Manix 2 lightweight blurs the lines a little bit and I like it for EDC and as a work knife.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

More days than most I carry the Para 3, lately it's been the lightweight model. It's perfect for just about everything.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Recently for me, I've been reaching for my plain jane serrated VG-10 endela. Cutting food, opening packages, just a bunch of every day stuff. I actually seek this out over my plain edge knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:21 am
Recently for me, I've been reaching for my plain jane serrated VG-10 endela. Cutting food, opening packages, just a bunch of every day stuff. I actually seek this out over my plain edge knives.

I've already replied in this thread long ago, but let me say: I 110 % get what you mean.
The Endela SE is what made me a firm "SE beats PE in practically all of (my) folder tasks" - believer, and the only reason why I don't carry mine often anymore is THIS amazing model (pic) :smirk... even lighter, even better serrations, more edge...MY new "go-to-Spyderco" (that said: Stiil love my Endela SE too, especially as a sturdy workhorse with a stronger tip).

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:29 am
sethwm wrote:

I've already replied in this thread long ago, but let me say: I 110 % get what you mean.
The Endela SE is what made me a firm "SE beats PE in practically all of (my) folder tasks" - believer, and the only reason why I don't carry mine often anymore is THIS amazing model (pic) :smirk... even lighter, even better serrations, more edge...MY new "go-to-Spyderco" (that said: Stiil love my Endela SE too, especially as a sturdy workhorse with a stronger tip).

Oy! Wartstein! Welcome back, good to see you posting again.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Same here. This one displaced my beloved SE wharnie Delica as my go-to folder. Unreal light for its size and no steel liners. It’s a pleasure to carry and use.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Hawkbill ladybug for packages and around the house.

Sage 5 LW for fidgeting and out of house carry
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

My old school mini Manix.
By far my most used spydie and is always ready for some action.
The thing is made to last me several life times. :grin-smiling-eyes
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:29 am
sethwm wrote:

Police? Or endura?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dragonfly(s)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I tend to go for my Native 5 Maxamet most of the time. It's probably because I am in an office environment day to day. Not that I can't carry anything just fits better in a suite or kakis. Otherwise on weekends I do tend towards my PM2 or Manix.

I want to try a lil Native but worried it would be just too small.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

2 and a half years ago I answered this question in this thread, and it stays the same today...G10 Manix 2!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick