Gauntlet vs Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Re: Gauntlet vs Sharpmaker

Post by olywa »

I reckon that 75% of my Sharpmaker use is maintaining my SE edges. I generally freehand my PE edges on Ceramic and/or diamond benchstones. I keep DMT DuoSharp folding handle stones in my vehicle, Go-Bag and fishing vest for touch-ups. Most of my kitchen knives get regular freehand maintenance on ceramic and/or steel rods.

I haven't tried Spyderco's oval rods yet, but I am thinking about doing so. My curiosity is definitely piqued.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:00 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:58 pm
Resurrecting an ancient thread:

I'm asking this question right at this moment. There are are couple mealy-mouthed reviews, but this thread is the only one I've found were people actually express their opinions of which is best. I'm currently looking at all the regular sources to find the best price.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I had a thread last month on the Gauntlet Galley V and Sharpmaker.

I think the round cats eye stones are better than the triangle stones.

I think the Galley V (could be) best sharpener because it has the longest stones. But there are no diamond stones for it. The Gauntlet CBN stones will fit, but because they are not made for it, they sit at a 2 degree difference than the fine stones. This would be fine maybe even ideal if the fine stones had the more obtuse angle (allowing for micro bevel), but it's the other way around. So you need to reprofile an additional 2 degrees with the fine stones after you've apexed with the cbn.

The Gauntlet has cbn and fine stones that are longer than the sharpmaker. But shorter than the Galley V. And.... David nailed it with his comment from 2020, more angles wins. The Gauntlet only had one angle and 20DPS at that. The Galley V also only has one angle 10DPS.

It's the story of almost but not quite. The Sharpmaker is still the best......

.....But if the Gauntlet was 15 DPS it would mostly replace the sharpmaker for me, a 12 degree and 15 degree slotted base and I'd never use any thing else. Make the stones as long as the Galley V? EVEN BETTER.
I agree. A Galley V with adjustable angles, brown and CBN rods to complement the fines and I’d be all over that.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

I have known about the Gauntlet since seeing the first drawings and SLA model, through the patent application, patent, and prototype, and like the user safety factor of the base over the SharpMaker, however, we sell very few Gauntlets vs SharpMakers (selling SharpMakers since 1980-81) due to the Gauntlet having only the 20° sharpening angle. The current norm with exotic steels (frankly any steel Spyderco uses) is to sharpen at 15° with or without a 20° micro bevel (their Murray Carter kitchen knives with a 10° and 15° micro bevel) which cannot be achieved on the Gauntlet (or Galley V) without a higher level of skill and practice, not anticipated with the sharpener. What the Gauntlet has achieved is the benefit and direct use of the CBN roads that are superior in many ways to the medium (black, gray, brown) ceramic roads in the SharpMaker. There seems to be a fairly simple solution for all three Spyderco sharpeners and that is to create plug-in adaptors that fit into the sharpening rod holes in the base to change the angles and use any rods in any base (in particular, Galley V rods in the Gauntlet :winking-tongue !). I know that there are after market, 3D printed adaptors, but ones sold directly through Spyderco would have more universal sales through their worldwide distribution.

nb
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:11 am
I have known about the Gauntlet since seeing the first drawings and SLA model, through the patent application, patent, and prototype, and like the user safety factor of the base over the SharpMaker, however, we sell very few Gauntlets vs SharpMakers (selling SharpMakers since 1980-81) due to the Gauntlet having only the 20° sharpening angle. The current norm with exotic steels (frankly any steel Spyderco uses) is to sharpen at 15° with or without a 20° micro bevel (their Murray Carter kitchen knives with a 10° and 15° micro bevel) which cannot be achieved on the Gauntlet (or Galley V) without a higher level of skill and practice, not anticipated with the sharpener. What the Gauntlet has achieved is the benefit and direct use of the CBN roads that are superior in many ways to the medium (black, gray, brown) ceramic roads in the SharpMaker. There seems to be a fairly simple solution for all three Spyderco sharpeners and that is to create plug-in adaptors that fit into the sharpening rod holes in the base to change the angles and use any rods in any base (in particular, Galley V rods in the Gauntlet :winking-tongue !). I know that there are after market, 3D printed adaptors, but ones sold directly through Spyderco would have more universal sales through their worldwide distribution.

nb
Can you link to the adapters? I'd love a base that could use the Gauntlet/Galley stones, but with more angles and a much smaller size.

The oval stones are fantastic on my (now 2) Gauntlets, but I still maintain that the base is far from fantastic and is killing the design and subsequent sales.

A sort of 'SharpMagnum' based on the long Galley oval stones, with a similar flat base to the Shaprmaker, but with 10-15-20-25 degree sharpening angles along the center, would be fantastic. With some sort of lid that can protect the stones when traveling / in storage ala sharpmaker.

I'd like to have something like that 3D printed, but it would be helpful to have a 3D model of the actual angled, stone rotational insert that accepts the oval stones.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Any word yet on these plug-in adaptors?
Garypham

Post by Garypham »

Has there been any new updates on an availability of a multi angle base for the gauntlet? (Either official or aftermarket 3d printed?). I love the cats eye rods but really wish for 15 dps and 17 dps angle options.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Garypham:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
dullmaker

Post by dullmaker »

Garypham wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:58 pm
Has there been any new updates on an availability of a multi angle base for the gauntlet? (Either official or aftermarket 3d printed?). I love the cats eye rods but really wish for 15 dps and 17 dps angle options.
I really want the shim Sal once mentioned, or a base with 15 and or 17 as mentioned above. Made by Spyderco or a third party. The oval stones are fantastic. I believe Spyderco should capitalize on the great stone design by offering more useful angles. More stones would be great as well in the future, perhaps even a BBB collaboration stone. It really can be the better mouse trap. Between the Gauntlet and strops i finally can make a knife fairly sharp. I have a tremor but the Gauntlet is forgiving. But since they are not making the more useful angles in a base currently, I would love a third party source for them in the meantime out of desperation.
Thanks,
Bruce
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Just reading through all points here I think it would be quite a dream to have crossover between Gauntlet and Sharpmaker, just imagine same stones as on Gauntlet just in various grits as on SM, three to four different angles to match modern steels (most people use 30 inclusive as base degree). All that packed in slim but little longer base similar to SM being able to accommodate stones from Gauntlet. Perhaps some kind of second iteration of Sharpmaker? I know this is most probably far fetched but why not to imagine this at least :smirk We know that Sal end Eric sometimes transfer ideas of forumites into reality :discguised
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bruce,

Fair question. I designed the Gauntlet in about 2000. We made some prototypes. But it still took another decade and a half to bring it to market. We can only do some much? Limited funds, labor limitations, testing time, tooling time, prototyping, etc. We have many ideas and designs that are not yet made. Probably 40+.

Gauntlet tooling is quite expensive and took almost a year to make the tooling. We first had to see if the market responded favorably to the model. 'That often takes several years. Now we're hearing what you would like to see in the concept, so we'll explore that area. It's already being explored with the Tri-Angle.

I will say that we are testing a number of prototypes every day. I have one at my home. multiple angles among them. We don't have unlimited funds and our staff is working very hard to deliver product, build new models and variations, develop new concepts and bring them to market with aplomb.

We would love to bring product to the market faster, but considering how much we do, from new models, Mule teams, new variations, working with 13 makers in 5 countries, plus our factory in Golden.

I can say we listen to you, and we hear you. And we try to respond to your interests, even if pretty "testy". Perhaps planning and executing is more involved than it appears.

It took us the better part of 4 years from the time I wanted to test K390, to be able to cut with a production model. Ordering the steel and waiting for the foundry to make a a run. (10 months-special order steel) Testing the material in all areas; cutting, grinding, heat treat, etc. Learning how to work it in production and working with our makers so they could work with the material. Making Mule Teams. Making a production run.......I think you get the idea?

Hey Dullmaker,

The shim you are asking for would be best sorted with one or more of you creating the shim and somebody with a 3D printer make them and sell them. I envision a double ramp with a tipping point that changes the angle of the rod, the flips over the fulcrum to create the same for the other stone. Another way would be to have 2 shims, one for each end of the unit. Could probably do that with two pencils.

sal
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:55 am
Hi Bruce,

Fair question. I designed the Gauntlet in about 2000. We made some prototypes. But it still took another decade and a half to bring it to market. We can only do some much? Limited funds, labor limitations, testing time, tooling time, prototyping, etc. We have many ideas and designs that are not yet made. Probably 40+.

Gauntlet tooling is quite expensive and took almost a year to make the tooling. We first had to see if the market responded favorably to the model. 'That often takes several years. Now we're hearing what you would like to see in the concept, so we'll explore that area. It's already being explored with the Tri-Angle.

I will say that we are testing a number of prototypes every day. I have one at my home. multiple angles among them. We don't have unlimited funds and our staff is working very hard to deliver product, build new models and variations, develop new concepts and bring them to market with aplomb.

We would love to bring product to the market faster, but considering how much we do, from new models, Mule teams, new variations, working with 13 makers in 5 countries, plus our factory in Golden.

I can say we listen to you, and we hear you. And we try to respond to your interests, even if pretty "testy". Perhaps planning and executing is more involved than it appears.

It took us the better part of 4 years from the time I wanted to test K390, to be able to cut with a production model. Ordering the steel and waiting for the foundry to make a a run. (10 months-special order steel) Testing the material in all areas; cutting, grinding, heat treat, etc. Learning how to work it in production and working with our makers so they could work with the material. Making Mule Teams. Making a production run.......I think you get the idea?

Hey Dullmaker,

The shim you are asking for would be best sorted with one or more of you creating the shim and somebody with a 3D printer make them and sell them. I envision a double ramp with a tipping point that changes the angle of the rod, the flips over the fulcrum to create the same for the other stone. Another way would be to have 2 shims, one for each end of the unit. Could probably do that with two pencils.

sal
Exciting news and insight in current development of potential updates to the sharpening line! To the point of how time and resources consuming all your activities are in Golden - I think more people should realize that asking something new from Spyderco takes time and that we, customers, should be more patient.

Spyderco is always improving current products and creating new ones. Last Reveals and catalog were absolutely fantastic and full of very exciting new updates and new designs. Can`t say how happy I was seeing 704 stones return for example, MicroJimbo is instant must have, magnacut everywhere, SPY27 incoming to more models in near future and so on...

Thank you Sal for your reaction on this topic.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am wondering whether the Gauntlet rods given their cross-section are better suited to maintain some of the more narrow (more tightly packed) serrated patterns.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...