custom shop...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: custom shop...

Post by vivi »

That's why I'm excited about the Chief LW. So far the only DLC Chiefs have either been priced high (M390) or have been steels with poor corrosion resistance (4V, M4 etc.). I see myself carrying the Chief LW more than my M4 Chiefs.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:09 am
Near-custom Spydies at relatively reasonable prices, as now, is not good enough?!

I think people wanting a custom shop are dissing the manufacturing magic that Sal has spent decades uniquely designing.

But, don’t mind me. I thought flippers belittled the Spydiehole.
It's all good, though. Sal said Eric is considering a custom shop in the other thread. Big change from the responses in the past.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Here is Sal's comment:
sal wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:52 pm
Eric has discussed the possibility of a custom shop with the Golden Knife-Makers and they seem to like the idea. We'll see what the future holds.

sal
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So I'm just wondering, is everyone considering the cost of this sort of thing?

Meaning...you can probably expect to be paying full MSRP for that custom Para 2, plus most likely a percentage increase for it being custom. People are already upset about MAP prices, are you all willing to pay full MSRP+ for this?

Also consider, this idea is vs a dealer exclusive that can be bought at MAP prices. Sprints and exclusives may not get your dream combo absolutely perfect but man there have been some really really good ones.

Personally that would be an absolute yes, but it's also 100% dependant on what options and models I can choose from. The primary option I would want is steel choice and SE, because there's already a huge scale market for practically every knife they make and if not you can pay someone to make them custom for you if you want it that bad. What I can't make (or have custom made at a reasonable price) are blades in the steels that I want, and with Spyderco quality serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

there's already a huge scale market for practically every knife they make and if not you can pay someone to make them custom for you if you want it that bad.
Not if you're into Spydercos larger models there isn't. Para 3's etc., sure, but it's pretty rare seeing micarta Police scales, and Manix XL micarta scales have been sold out for years, etc. Never seen Pacific Salt scales or Szabo folder scales, ever.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

when i was originally pitching this idea (i know it wasn't original to me) my main desire was to simply be able to order unavailable versions made up of parts that already exist. for example, i'd like to be able to order a ticn pac salt blade paired with a yellow or green pac salt handle. all the parts are there. i understand that it would addd cost and creat logistics issues though to have even more options. i still think it would be cool though. how about a dlc manix blade with translucent blue scales? same type of thing. it's all there already.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

:thinking

I'm thinking, "Do it!" and I'm also thinking, "Please don't do it!" simultaneously.

There will be knives that I cannot pass up, and I'd end up buying knives rather than eat. :winking-tongue

Whatever happens, I'll be here to see it. I just need to develop a budget. :hot-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:51 am
So I'm just wondering, is everyone considering the cost of this sort of thing?

Meaning...you can probably expect to be paying full MSRP for that custom Para 2, plus most likely a percentage increase for it being custom. People are already upset about MAP prices, are you all willing to pay full MSRP+ for this?

Also consider, this idea is vs a dealer exclusive that can be bought at MAP prices. Sprints and exclusives may not get your dream combo absolutely perfect but man there have been some really really good ones.

Personally that would be an absolute yes, but it's also 100% dependant on what options and models I can choose from. The primary option I would want is steel choice and SE, because there's already a huge scale market for practically every knife they make and if not you can pay someone to make them custom for you if you want it that bad. What I can't make (or have custom made at a reasonable price) are blades in the steels that I want, and with Spyderco quality serrations.
The money might not be far off or even close. Say you just wanted to change the scales

A Para 3 is $250 at full retail, $175 MAP.
A set of scales is usually around $80 or more.
$175 + $80 is $255.
I'd expect that there would be a custom fee of like $25 or $50 on top of MSRP
$250 + $25 = $275

That's pretty close.

The custom BM I ordered actually made sense to me dollar-wise with buying a retail one and swapping stuff myself.

If you like to customize knives, it's pretty easy to end up with $300 "invested" in a $150 knife.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'd be happy if they just offered a regrind service.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:23 pm
This would be really cool.
Aftermarket regrinds probably void warranty, but maybe an in-house regrind could have a special warranty form Spyderco?
Hypothetically, of course!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Should be easy enough to come up with a Custom shop logo to laser etch on the blade to differentiate custom shop items from exclusives and previous sprints. I'd be happy with almost any Golden model, but my first choice would be the lil-native. Already has three lock types and having a non-locking option would apeal to a worldwide audience. (Also blade length concerns)

Grizz
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:24 am
when i was originally pitching this idea (i know it wasn't original to me) my main desire was to simply be able to order unavailable versions made up of parts that already exist. for example, i'd like to be able to order a ticn pac salt blade paired with a yellow or green pac salt handle. all the parts are there. i understand that it would addd cost and creat logistics issues though to have even more options. i still think it would be cool though. how about a dlc manix blade with translucent blue scales? same type of thing. it's all there already.
I was thinking something along these lines. Take a popular model, for example a Native 5, and be able to select from a few different blade steels, several handle choices and hardware color choices. Something similar to what Buck knives does in their custom shop.

I am interested and I hope that Spyderco does a custom shop in whatever form that it takes.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'll bet there's a gold rush at Spyderco to get the job of working in the custom shop! Man, can you imagine how fun that job would be? Would love to have that job. A man can dream!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:15 pm
I'll bet there's a gold rush at Spyderco to get the job of working in the custom shop! Man, can you imagine how fun that job would be? Would love to have that job. A man can dream!

Would seriously be cool, I would have a blast just seeing the combos people think of. You'd always be doing something different too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:23 am
there's already a huge scale market for practically every knife they make and if not you can pay someone to make them custom for you if you want it that bad.
Not if you're into Spydercos larger models there isn't. Para 3's etc., sure, but it's pretty rare seeing micarta Police scales, and Manix XL micarta scales have been sold out for years, etc. Never seen Pacific Salt scales or Szabo folder scales, ever.
You can get these if you’re patient
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

those are the same scales i have on my m390 manix. i like them.

vivi, you're not going to see scales for a pac salt because the threads are embedded in the frn. the aftermarket guys typically only make scale replacements and not full handle replacements. i wish i could get some ti scales made for a pac salt and a salt 2 wharncliffe. i've been looking for someone to do it for years and have asked several makers.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:17 am
I would be happy enough to just have a SE option on any model I want.
+1
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If they want to start small, re-grinds & adding serrations would be an excellent start. Just putting that out there for Eric. (Hi Eric!)
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

gdwtvb wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 pm
Should be easy enough to come up with a Custom shop logo to laser etch on the blade to differentiate custom shop items from exclusives and previous sprints. I'd be happy with almost any Golden model, but my first choice would be the lil-native. Already has three lock types and having a non-locking option would apeal to a worldwide audience. (Also blade length concerns)

Grizz
I still think they should replace the bug with a snowflake for the custom shop.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:23 pm
Me too…more than happy !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red