About Spyderco's Stonewash...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cased

About Spyderco's Stonewash...

Post by Cased »

My question is simple. How does Spyderco get the stonewash they use on blades like Maxamet? It is different from every other stonewash I've seen. It is so smooth and even that it has a dull mirror effect.

I recently got a Rex 45 Native 5 and found the grind lines to be too conspicuous for my liking, but I really like the stonewash on the Maxamet Native. How could I go about making the Rex 45 blade's finish similar to the Maxamet's? I would also like to do a similar finish to my own handmade knives.

I'll attach some pictures of the two blades for reference.
Rex45-min.jpg
Maxamet-min.jpg
sal

Re: About Spyderco's Stonewash...

Post by sal »

Hi Cased,

Welcome to our forum.

We have a fairly sophisticated tumbling department.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Maxamet pretty much exist in its own world. Concerning the maxamet stonewash, Im not sure if other users have noticed this but its very unique.

Basically if you look at a maxamet stonewashed blade up near the plunge line you can still see grind lines (vertical "satin" finish grind lines) from the belts that were used to form the blade. I assume tgis is due to maxamets hardness.

You can definitely do a stonewash. But maxamets stonewash, from what I can see, is unique because of the steel itself.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:46 pm
Maxamet pretty much exist in its own world. Concerning the maxamet stonewash, Im not sure if other users have noticed this but its very unique.

Basically if you look at a maxamet stonewashed blade up near the plunge line you can still see grind lines (vertical "satin" finish grind lines) from the belts that were used to form the blade. I assume tgis is due to maxamets hardness.

You can definitely do a stonewash. But maxamets stonewash, from what I can see, is unique because of the steel itself.
I’m pretty sure that’s due to the inability of the media to get in close to the right angle at the plunge.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Maxamet stonewash is my favorite Spyderco stonewash finish.
Of course, Golden does a fine job of finishing all of their blades.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white