Reveal 5 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Re: Reveal 5 Live!

Post by Mini2white »

SpyOpera
Swick
Dragonfly and Manbug

The most I've wanted out of any of the reveals lately.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Man that Swayback calls to me, I gotta have one!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Really like the SpyOpera and Swayback. Really cool stuff in this Reveal!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
spyder045

Post by spyder045 »

I Love everything... except for the Poochi... I'm a grown @$$ man....
looks like it will be my 16 year old daughters first knife
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Endura K390, Chief S90V, Shaman Z-Wear... Spyderco, you have to stop, my wallet is already coughing dust !
Though I hope to see a new Police in K390 in the next reveal since this new series is probably going to sell very well !
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am
Why does one Swick say large and the other small? The specs look the same?
The "Large" (Swick 5) and "Small" (Swick 6) designations refer to the diameter of the Perrin hole. The former is 1.03" while the latter is 0.91". My ungloved index finger is probably a better fit for the Swick 6, but I think I'll pick up a Swick 5 as well for use as a winter/cold weather-carry fixed blade, for when I'm wearing significantly thicker insulated work gloves.
Thank you! I was looking at it on my phone and did not notice that. Excellent!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
attila

Post by attila »

Cool!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:52 am
kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:42 am
Excited by: Z-wear Shaman, Lil Native in S90V, Dragonfly in K390.

I'm not sure what to make of the Rock Jumper. If I had a "sure, why not?" knife budget, I would inevitably pick one up (especially in a bright color). It seems like an improvement on the Wharnciliffe Delica (I like the swells vs. the points), but I would still prefer a choil. I guess I'll see what they end up retailing for, and whether or not aftermarket scales become available.

I think one of the main points in the Rock Jumper design is that it has no choil or Ricasso, but. quoting Sal )link below):

"The design brings the handle right to the cutting edge which is important on quick emergency cutting of rope. Kicks, sharpening choils and finger choils can snag on a rope and time is lost if it is an emergency cut. This is an experiment with this design as it is difficult to do with a lock-back."

For more on the Rock Jumper background see here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85940#p1398627

I love the design! Very much edge for the compact size; wide, rather thin blade (= probably good slicer) ;AND comes in SE in VG 10!! ;)... will without any doubt become my go-to climbing knife!!
Thanks for info Warstein! I too have read that thread, and I understand the intention behind the design. Just felt like voicing my opinion, respectfully. :-)

Funny enough, the handle reminds me of the 3" Lil' Stretch I've been asking for, albeit with no choil.

I'd love to see it in a brighter color like yellow, orange, blue, or green.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:52 am
kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:42 am

I think one of the main points in the Rock Jumper design is that it has no choil or Ricasso, but. quoting Sal )link below):

"The design brings the handle right to the cutting edge which is important on quick emergency cutting of rope. Kicks, sharpening choils and finger choils can snag on a rope and time is lost if it is an emergency cut. This is an experiment with this design as it is difficult to do with a lock-back."

For more on the Rock Jumper background see here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85940#p1398627

I love the design! Very much edge for the compact size; wide, rather thin blade (= probably good slicer) ;AND comes in SE in VG 10!! ;)... will without any doubt become my go-to climbing knife!!
Thanks for info Warstein! I too have read that thread, and I understand the intention behind the design. Just felt like voicing my opinion, respectfully. :-)

Funny enough, the handle reminds me of the 3" Lil' Stretch I've been asking for, albeit with no choil.

I'd love to see it in a brighter color like yellow, orange, blue, or green.

Sorry if it sounded like I´d try to lecture you, my friend! This was not my intention, I was not aware of that you already knew the idea behind the design!

/ And, yes! As a true outdoor and climbing folder I hope it will sell well enough to come at least in a really bright color, like orange, too eventually! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Intresting - Z Wear and not PD1 on the shaman

Does Zapp produce any other steels used in cutlery?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Super excited for the k390 delica and dragonfly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just noticed the little paw print cutout on the clip of the Pochi. Thats a nice little touch for a knife inspired by dog.

-Nick :bug-red
timlara

Post by timlara »

That handle on the RockJumper looks really comfy.
Tim
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Just noticed the little paw print cutout on the clip of the Pochi. Thats a nice little touch for a knife inspired by a dog.
Ha ha. Cute. The Pochi is not my thing, but I bet it's going to be one of those much sought-after collector's pieces on the secondary market if and when it gets disco'ed. Between the oddball design, the S45VN steel, and the collaborator name attached to it, it's almost guaranteed.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Dragonfly K390
Shamen Z Wear (will be impossible to get)
Spy Opera (not sold on the 3 mm thickness)
Swayback
All wants
Last edited by Superflex on Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There are so many nice steels used in Reveal 5. Spyderco outdid itself.

Definitely put me down for one or two Yojumbos. I may even get my brother to buy one.

And of course, I like the sprints, but, well, maybe this time I can get in on one of them with judicious planning and cat like reflexes.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Lots of cool stuff. More spy27 and k390, Nice. Chief and Lil natives in carbon and s90: I wish those were regular production. Couple new collabs look interesting, I'll give them some time to grow on me.

I'm am pretty disappointed that they went with 3mm stock for the rock jumper. With the delica length blade, I was hoping for delica-like thinness, just with a bit more edge. Unfortunately, like with the endela, they went thicker. Still looks good though, but it's now a "I might get one eventually" rather than "I want that now".
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Will try to get the Shaman since I've missed the last 2 sprints by minutes or seconds, also will get the K390 Dragonfly and Endura, as well as a Swick PE, I like the Yojumbo, but will wait for a sprint steel (BHQ maybe?).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm am pretty disappointed that they went with 3mm stock for the rock jumper. With the delica length blade, I was hoping for delica-like thinness, just with a bit more edge. Unfortunately, like with the endela, they went thicker. Still looks good though, but it's now a "I might get one eventually" rather than "I want that now".

I am a fan of thin bladestock (yes, though I love the Endela as it is, I´d still prefer it in the thinner Delica blade stock).

But in case of the Rock Jumper I am not so sure:
- The blade is rather tall, that makes it a good slicer just by geometry even with the 3mm stock (which is quite thin anyway)
- In a true, hard use, emergency, rock climbing knife the thicker stock might even be a good thing
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One thing I don´ get concerning the Rock Jumper:

The idea behind this model is to give it an edge almost all the way to the handle (and it offers just that going by the depiction)
Now the specs say:
Blade: 3.08 in , but edge just 2.83 in - that´s quite a difference (converted 6mm between blade- and edge length, even a Delica has just 7mm) - can´t be, right?! (Despite they measure the blade length from the tip to where it meets the handle on th SPINE side of the blade)