Knives for fidgeters?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PoisonedPizza

Re: Knives for fidgeters?

Post by PoisonedPizza »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:21 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:53 pm
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...which I know doesn't mean much. But come on, do people really have that much free time in their lives to sit around flicking a knife around, or buying a knife mainly for that purpose?? Seems like a waste of $100+

I find myself using my knife most of the day, coming home and cleaning up the tape gunk and whatever residue is on the blade, setting it on the counter until it goes back in the pocket the next morning. Sitting around flicking it while watching tv... how are you paying attention to what your watching, communicating with your spouse or children?? Why do you need a knife while hanging out with your family..or even alone by yourself doing nothing?

Let alone if a spouse or kids are present and you lose control and the knife goes flying...I dont want to think of the possible consequences. The fidgeting thing just irritates me, especially if you dont even use your knife regularly...what's the point in taking chances?

Sorry everyone. End rant
Debbie Downer! :p ;) Seriously, though, I'm sure it's much less fun to play with your knives when you use them so much as part of your work. I'm not a huge fidgeter - as you mentioned, I've got little kids around so I really can't be very often - but I do like to pull out knives I haven't used for a while and fidget with them. Don't you love hearing that sweet click of a back lock engaging, or the snap of a blade flicked open? And I can definitely see how a good fidget knife would be a soothing thing for ADD or even anxiety. We all have our things. :)
↑This↑
I have both ADD and anxiety, and while I buy knives as tools first, thee fidget factor will definitely affect my purchase decision.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:15 pm
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...which I know doesn't mean much. But come on, do people really have that much free time in their lives to sit around flicking a knife around, or buying a knife mainly for that purpose?? Seems like a waste of $100+

I find myself using my knife most of the day, coming home and cleaning up the tape gunk and whatever residue is on the blade, setting it on the counter until it goes back in the pocket the next morning. Sitting around flicking it while watching tv... how are you paying attention to what your watching, communicating with your spouse or children?? Why do you need a knife while hanging out with your family..or even alone by yourself doing nothing?

Let alone if a spouse or kids are present and you lose control and the knife goes flying...I dont want to think of the possible consequences. The fidgeting thing just irritates me, especially if you dont even use your knife regularly...what's the point in taking chances?

Sorry everyone. End rant
Debbie Downer! :p ;) Seriously, though, I'm sure it's much less fun to play with your knives when you use them so much as part of your work. I'm not a huge fidgeter - as you mentioned, I've got little kids around so I really can't be very often - but I do like to pull out knives I haven't used for a while and fidget with them. Don't you love hearing that sweet click of a back lock engaging, or the snap of a blade flicked open? And I can definitely see how a good fidget knife would be a soothing thing for ADD or even anxiety. We all have our things. :)
↑This↑
I have both ADD and anxiety, and while I buy knives as tools first, thee fidget factor will definitely affect my purchase decision.
Gotta get yourself a Smock. Seriously, it's hard NOT to fidget with that knife, and it's a great knife to boot. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 pm
PoisonedPizza wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Sorry everyone. End rant
↑This↑
Gotta get yourself a Smock. Seriously, it's hard NOT to fidget with that knife, and it's a great knife to boot. ;)
I heard it's based off a custom knife? That's cool. Do custom knifemakers just know what we want?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

JuPaul wrote:
PoisonedPizza wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Sorry everyone. End rant
↑This↑
My Smock will be here tomorrow, cant wait. Did you remove the 2nd detent ball or just play as is?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...

Sorry everyone. End rant

Well, for me the word "fidgeting" is dumbing it down quite a bit. For me the knife hobby is as much about engineering and design as it is about steel and edges. I enjoy locks and pivots, so the "fidgeting" is a way of enjoying those things, and is in my opinion very much a type of use. By just opening/cutting/closing/putting away a knife, I'm not spending much time at all "using" the lock and pivot, and seeing how the lock works and how well it engages and how smooth the pivot turns is a big part of the experience for me, it's the other side of the "use" coin.

I never used to understand collector's much the same as you don't understand fidgeting. To me, "use" meant cutting things up but I've come to understand that a knife can be enjoyed just as much to some people just by handling it. There is a type of art behind the design, just like a painting doesn't exactly DO anything, you just enjoy admiring it. I try to get as much of all of those different kinds of enjoyment as I can, I feel like it maximizes my time and further justifies my purchase.
Yes, this is an excellent answer that I can relate to. I don’t think that I would really fall into the hardcore “fidgeter” category, but I do spend some time opening and closing and generally handling/fondling my knives. In addition to wanting to enjoy the engineering of the knives, I think it’s a functional way of building a bit of familiarity and muscle memory with the tool. I don’t go overboard with all that...I mean, I’m not standing in front of the bedroom mirror practicing speed drawing a pair of Millies while quoting a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western or anything, but I have been known to open and close my knife at times when it wasn’t strictly necessary. Once I’m out on the water and a dropped knife means a lost knife I’d rather have some of the fumbling out of the way and have built a bit of familiarity with the tool I’m using.

Regarding what knives I like “fidgeting” with, it’s often whatever knife I’m carrying most, especially if the design is new to me. Right now the Siren is getting handled a ton. I know there aren’t many backlocks mentioned here and I understand why but I definitely think the Siren qualifies as a fidgetable knife. Haha. The action is so smooth that it can be easily spydieflicked and will free fall closed when the lock is depressed. It is simple to close in multiple ways (like with index finger on lock) and the lockup is very solid with a reassuring and resounding audible engagement. Overall it is a very satisfying knife to handle and operate.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm
JuPaul wrote:
PoisonedPizza wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

My Smock will be here tomorrow, cant wait. Did you remove the 2nd detent ball or just play as is?
No, I leave that detent ball in place. Imo, it's still plenty easy to flip open and I don't like worrying that my knife will open in my pocket. But if you did want to take it out, it'd be very easy. It pretty much just falls out when you take apart the knife (so heads up if you want to save it - do your disassembly over a tray or something). Actually, getting that ball back into place is the only kinda tricky part of reassembling a Smock. Otherwise it's very easy.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I got the Smock last week or so, **** yea its figity, love it, its also very gentlemans carry. Anyone thinking about it dont beleive the na sayers
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:27 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm
JuPaul wrote:
PoisonedPizza wrote:
No, I leave that detent ball in place. Imo, it's still plenty easy to flip open and I don't like worrying that my knife will open in my pocket. But if you did want to take it out, it'd be very easy. It pretty much just falls out when you take apart the knife (so heads up if you want to save it - do your disassembly over a tray or something). Actually, getting that ball back into place is the only kinda tricky part of reassembling a Smock. Otherwise it's very easy.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this thread got me thinking... i need a squarehead lw before they’re all gone. i like the texture of spyderco’s frn and jimping, and i enjoy a well made tool. this should be a good “worry stone” style fidget while having some functionality and not being intimidating. it’ll also be my first taichung spyderco. i’m looking forward to it arriving. maybe i’ll stop playing with my other knives so much.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Definitely the Watu for a fidget knife
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Yes sir, that Watu has the fidget factor.