Knives for fidgeters?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Knives for fidgeters?

Post by ChrisinHove »

My Oroborous runs on pb washers and is ridiculously fidgetable.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i fidget with all my knives. the compression lock is more fun for me than the cbbl, which is more fun than the backlock. however, size matters. one of my favorite fidget knives is my df2 salt. it's easy to manipulate open and close with one hand and it can easily be done with either hand. you can reach the backlock and the spydie hole, so you can control it along the whole path, which allows you the option of flicking it open and dropping it to your index finger to close, or silently opening and closing it if you are in a meeting or something. it's also small and yellow, so it makes me look a little less like a psycho to my coworkers than fidgeting with a yojimbo does.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm
I'd suggest a BaliYo. You can fidget with it anywhere and probably annoy people near you less :)
The are fun! I need to dig mine out of the desk drawer again
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Monty

Post by Monty »

I enjoy closing a backlock in various ways but spinning a karambit trainer is my go-to fidget diversion when sitting at the desk.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Ikuchi and Lil' Temp 2 for me.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

lil native and techno for me.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sage 5 LW has an amazing comp lock action. The discontinued Domino and Dice are great because you Spydieflick or use the flipper tab.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’m the same and Para 3 is an even better execution of the comp lock for fidgeting.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

With the 2nd detent removed, I've managed to work out 23 different ways to open a Smock with one hand.

Beat that!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...which I know doesn't mean much. But come on, do people really have that much free time in their lives to sit around flicking a knife around, or buying a knife mainly for that purpose?? Seems like a waste of $100+

I find myself using my knife most of the day, coming home and cleaning up the tape gunk and whatever residue is on the blade, setting it on the counter until it goes back in the pocket the next morning. Sitting around flicking it while watching tv... how are you paying attention to what your watching, communicating with your spouse or children?? Why do you need a knife while hanging out with your family..or even alone by yourself doing nothing?

Let alone if a spouse or kids are present and you lose control and the knife goes flying...I dont want to think of the possible consequences. The fidgeting thing just irritates me, especially if you dont even use your knife regularly...what's the point in taking chances?

Sorry everyone. End rant
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:53 pm
I dunno, this is a sad thread in my opinion...which I know doesn't mean much. But come on, do people really have that much free time in their lives to sit around flicking a knife around, or buying a knife mainly for that purpose?? Seems like a waste of $100+

I find myself using my knife most of the day, coming home and cleaning up the tape gunk and whatever residue is on the blade, setting it on the counter until it goes back in the pocket the next morning. Sitting around flicking it while watching tv... how are you paying attention to what your watching, communicating with your spouse or children?? Why do you need a knife while hanging out with your family..or even alone by yourself doing nothing?

Let alone if a spouse or kids are present and you lose control and the knife goes flying...I dont want to think of the possible consequences. The fidgeting thing just irritates me, especially if you dont even use your knife regularly...what's the point in taking chances?

Sorry everyone. End rant
Debbie Downer! :p ;) Seriously, though, I'm sure it's much less fun to play with your knives when you use them so much as part of your work. I'm not a huge fidgeter - as you mentioned, I've got little kids around so I really can't be very often - but I do like to pull out knives I haven't used for a while and fidget with them. Don't you love hearing that sweet click of a back lock engaging, or the snap of a blade flicked open? And I can definitely see how a good fidget knife would be a soothing thing for ADD or even anxiety. We all have our things. :)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You are absolutely right Julia! We all have our own things that make us happy, which is why I said I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but I do have a story to share.

A friend I work with, his younger brother was going through a divorce around 2 years ago and had his son over night for the weekend. He had a Kershaw Cryo knife and was fidgeting with it while watching TV on the couch while his 3 or 4 year old son was playing on the floor. Apparently he lost his grip while trying to use the thumb studs instead of the flipper and the knife flew out of his hand, striking his son in the shoulder and required a couple stitches. Nothing major...though he realized the knife was only inches from his sons throat or face.

He told his estranged wife what had happened, I guess she knew he liked knives...she ended up calling CPS on him trying to remove his visitation rights to his son! I'm guessing they had more issues besides this. I believe they settled things cordially and he still gets his time with his son...but that story and incident alone really hit me a couple years ago as a knife enthusiast...how easily and quickly things could change for the worse. Really put a damper on the fidgeting aspect me for, especially having a 5-6 year old girl running around my house at that same time.

Yes, I'm sorry for being a Debbie Downer...which I am/was. I just want people to realize how quickly things could change just by playing with these knives. That incident really changed my mentality going forward.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

Thanks for sharing Rick. It was an important story and necessary. I generally play with new knives. Some have needed this more than others. Once they smooth out, in the pocket they go until needed for work.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sorry to hear about your friends child. Scary situation.

I think it goes without saying that people should use their knives responsibly. Most, if not all, people here are adults and understand the consequences of playing with a sharp knife. Concerning yourself with how others spend their money and free time will only prove exhausting.
-Nick :bug-red
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:19 pm
Concerning yourself with how others spend their money and free time will only prove exhausting.
To say the least :rolleyes:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My son is 2. I can't fidget with my knives around him bc if he sees me using my knife he wants to use one too. Obviously this cannot be allowed. So I got him a toy swiss army knife... Looks like he's been prying with it from the bend in the blade... 😑Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
acer

Post by acer »

Para 3 G10, Manix 2 LIGHT WEIGHT, Domino, Enjoy🤓
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 pm
My son is 2. I can't fidget with my knives around him bc if he sees me using my knife he wants to use one too. Obviously this cannot be allowed. So I got him a toy swiss army knife... Looks like he's been prying with it from the bend in the blade... 😑Image
Looks like you need to get him a pry tool next :)

When my son was young (9 or 10) he found a SAK just like that. We cleaned it up and I let him keep it providing he used it safely. It lasted one day and I had to remove it from his possession for waving it at one of his sisters in a threatening manner. I think I finally gave it back to him years later when I was moving out.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Looks like you need to get him a pry tool next :)

When my son was young (9 or 10) he found a SAK just like that. We cleaned it up and I let him keep it providing he used it safely. It lasted one day and I had to remove it from his possession for waving it at one of his sisters in a threatening manner. I think I finally gave it back to him years later when I was moving out.
My dad had to confiscate pretty much all my knives from age 7 to 13 at one time or another from me accidentally cutting myself with them. In my defense I was not properly supervised lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:50 pm
You are absolutely right Julia! We all have our own things that make us happy, which is why I said I know my opinion doesn't mean much, but I do have a story to share.

A friend I work with, his younger brother was going through a divorce around 2 years ago and had his son over night for the weekend. He had a Kershaw Cryo knife and was fidgeting with it while watching TV on the couch while his 3 or 4 year old son was playing on the floor. Apparently he lost his grip while trying to use the thumb studs instead of the flipper and the knife flew out of his hand, striking his son in the shoulder and required a couple stitches. Nothing major...though he realized the knife was only inches from his sons throat or face.

He told his estranged wife what had happened, I guess she knew he liked knives...she ended up calling CPS on him trying to remove his visitation rights to his son! I'm guessing they had more issues besides this. I believe they settled things cordially and he still gets his time with his son...but that story and incident alone really hit me a couple years ago as a knife enthusiast...how easily and quickly things could change for the worse. Really put a damper on the fidgeting aspect me for, especially having a 5-6 year old girl running around my house at that same time.

Yes, I'm sorry for being a Debbie Downer...which I am/was. I just want people to realize how quickly things could change just by playing with these knives. That incident really changed my mentality going forward.
That's definitely a scary close call! Of course you're right about using extreme caution around kids (or pets, or co-workers, etc). Hope you know I was only teasing about being a downer. :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.