Tools for Getting Started

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Tools for Getting Started

Post by JuPaul »

twelchlen wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:18 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:20 am
ducknado wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:56 pm
Wow thanks for all the great suggestions here! I am digesting all this info and plan to make great use of it before my Amazon 20% amex deal expires this weekend. Discovering and following both "Crazy Good Deals" threads really grew my little collection of Spydercos and now it's time to step up my game a bit, beyond just accumulating knives to actually knowing how they function and taking proper care of em :) I will say the straw that broke the camel's back was not being able to find a tool in my existing ones that could help me reverse the clip on my Para 2s, lol
Just saw on IG thst Wiha is having a big sale today: 50% off your order with code 50KCELEBRATE at wihatools.com. If you haven't already bought your torx set...
This is such a good deal. I bought 6 torx drivers and a bunch of other tools for half off.
I know! And I just bought a bunch of Wiha stuff a few weeks ago. :(
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Will echo what other people in this thread have said: a decent torx kit (T6 to T10 should have you covered as far as Spyderco knives go), a Sharpmaker, and reliable lubrication should cover the basics.

Other things I've found to be very helpful over the years:
  • Compressed air: Most knives won't require full disassembly if all you're doing is some routine cleaning. A good blast of compressed air should clear out most gunk that works its way into a folder.
  • C-Clamp: If you do take apart a knife entirely, a good C-clamp is a very useful tool to have when putting it back together. Anybody who has ever fully disassembled a Delica or an Endura knows that it feels like one needs a third hand to keep the lockbar in position under spring tension when putting it back together... and that's what a C-clamp essentially is.
  • Medium strength threadlocker (e.g. Blue Loctite): for securing and protecting screws.
  • A syringe and gauge 25 (or smaller) hypodermic needle (if it is legal for you to acquire one): great for applying lubrication in very tight spaces (such as between the knife's liners and the washers) without disassembling a knife. Also useful for fine manipulation of parts in hard to access nooks & crannies of a folding knife.
  • 99% Isopropyl alcohol: for degreasing/general cleaning
ducknado

Post by ducknado »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:53 pm
Will echo what other people in this thread have said: a decent torx kit (T6 to T10 should have you covered as far as Spyderco knives go), a Sharpmaker, and reliable lubrication should cover the basics.

Other things I've found to be very helpful over the years:
  • Compressed air: Most knives won't require full disassembly if all you're doing is some routine cleaning. A good blast of compressed air should clear out most gunk that works its way into a folder.
  • C-Clamp: If you do take apart a knife entirely, a good C-clamp is a very useful tool to have when putting it back together. Anybody who has ever fully disassembled a Delica or an Endura knows that it feels like one needs a third hand to keep the lockbar in position under spring tension when putting it back together... and that's what a C-clamp essentially is.
  • Medium strength threadlocker (e.g. Blue Loctite): for securing and protecting screws.
  • A syringe and gauge 25 (or smaller) hypodermic needle (if it is legal for you to acquire one): great for applying lubrication in very tight spaces (such as between the knife's liners and the washers) without disassembling a knife. Also useful for fine manipulation of parts in hard to access nooks & crannies of a folding knife.
  • 99% Isopropyl alcohol: for degreasing/general cleaning
Great tips, and added to the shopping list! Thank you
butchiej27

Post by butchiej27 »

I'm searching for a quality tool to remove the clip from my Dragonfly and from what I've seen here this should do it? Wiha 96706 Torx Screwdriver with Precision Handle, T6 x 40mm.