Kirinite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Kirinite

Post by Sumdumguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:19 pm
I've seen this offered on a number of Bark River fixed blades. The acrylics do get my attention but have always seemed a little bit bowling-ball-esque to me.

CG
That's what I thought, aswell. Make a new model with it, called the Kingpin! It will have a 7" blade(that's only 3.5", cuz, you know...), LC400N and solid clear Kirinite, with a rose inside...

:p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am
Doc I've used it on 6 or so mules just to see if I liked it. I've found that even at high polish it has really good grip even when wet, but have no idea if blood or other nasties might change that. Haven't had any cracking or brittleness, but it does seem to scratch and haze with use; quick buff brings it right back though.

1,3 and 4 are Kirinite. I personally like the feel and some of the patterns, YMMV
Nice. What do you buff them with?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Usually green or white compound and a 6" muslin wheel on my bench grinder.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 pm
I meant to bring back the shine after they get dull.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:40 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 pm
I meant to bring back the shine after they get dull.
I've used a drop of automobile polish on a foam ball attached to my drill press a few times, or a bit of linseed oil and an old t-shirt. If it wasn't for my OCD I'd never worry about the scratches, most folks probably wouldn't even notice them.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm
cycleguy wrote:
I've seen this offered on a number of Bark River fixed blades. The acrylics do get my attention but have always seemed a little bit bowling-ball-esque to me.

CG
That's what I thought, aswell. Make a new model with it, called the Kingpin! It will have a 7" blade(that's only 3.5", cuz, you know...), LC400N and solid clear Kirinite, with a rose inside...

I like the name!!! Maybe add a red stripe or two at one end of the handle... he, he! LC300N (its that perfect game). A rose for the ladies, and a small scorpion for the dudes! :eek: Better keep me out of the design studio...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG

LC300N

CG
But the Amish do everything twice as hard!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I do think this is an interesting material. It can be beautiful and tasteful or gaudy. But, it feels good in the hand on my small knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050