NFL Season: 2020-2021

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: NFL Season: 2020-2021

Post by MacLaren »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:36 am
Playing catch up! I'm so desperate for sports that I just finished watching the '89 Super Bowl! Glad this thread is here 😊
Cool.
The 49'ers were King of the Mountain in 89
Then the year after they totally destroyed John Elway and the Broncos 55-10 in the 1990 Super Bowl.
That was TOTAL dominance.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I remember that! That was the end of an era.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 am
I remember that! That was the end of an era.
It certainly was.... :(
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:17 pm
Honestly, I'd take Jimmy Johnson over Tom Landry ANY day of the week.
Not to take anything away from Landry. Hes a legend himself.
Tom Landry won as many Superbowls as Mr. Hair Style did :rolleyes: >> but it is worth considering the change of eras and the fact that Landry would not have been a "Lap Dog" for his highness>> yep that would have exploded worse than a high powered M-80 :eek:

Oh well I was calling for Andy Reid to be axed about 5 years ago when they started 1-5>> but I would have been wrong because he still took the Chiefs to the playoffs that year. In some ways I still wish the Chiefs could have gotten Jon Gruden. But it's hard to argue with someone who just won the big game.

But I still think it was absolutely abysmal the way Jones treated and disrespected a living legend like Tom Landry. Case Closed :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 am
bearrowland wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:36 am
Playing catch up! I'm so desperate for sports that I just finished watching the '89 Super Bowl! Glad this thread is here 😊
Cool.
The 49'ers were King of the Mountain in 89
Then the year after they totally destroyed John Elway and the Broncos 55-10 in the 1990 Super Bowl.
That was TOTAL dominance.
I remember that Superbowl very vividly. I had to watch it from a hospital because a very good friend of mine was close to death at the time. But Joe Montana truly destroyed Mr. Ed ( Elway) along with the rest of the crew. I always loved how badly Mr. Ed was hated at ARROWHEAD Stadium :D Joe Montana and Roger Staubach were the two best QBs ever when they were under tremendous pressure>> the more pressure you put on those guys they better they got.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:54 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:17 pm
Honestly, I'd take Jimmy Johnson over Tom Landry ANY day of the week.
Not to take anything away from Landry. Hes a legend himself.
Tom Landry won as many Superbowls as Mr. Hair Style did :rolleyes: >> but it is worth considering the change of eras and the fact that Landry would not have been a "Lap Dog" for his highness>> yep that would have exploded worse than a high powered M-80 :eek:

Oh well I was calling for Andy Reid to be axed about 5 years ago when they started 1-5>> but I would have been wrong because he still took the Chiefs to the playoffs that year. In some ways I still wish the Chiefs could have gotten Jon Gruden. But it's hard to argue with someone who just won the big game.

But I still think it was absolutely abysmal the way Jones treated and disrespected a living legend like Tom Landry. Case Closed :cool:
I hear ya Joe.
But, I dont remember how he handled Landry.
What did or how did Jones actually handle the Landry firing?
Jewell

Post by Jewell »

Vikings fan here. Just hoping for 1 Super Bowl victory b/f I go. Only been waiting my whole life.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Any NFL Draft nerds here? The draft is one of my favorite days of the year. So much research and analysis to try and predict the unpredictable by the "experts". High drama for sure. I actually love the offseason and the training camp battles/surprise cuts and preseason game "flashes". I guess this year will be very different indeed but at least the draft is still happening (virtually)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

As huge of an NFL fan I am, I really don't follow college football that closely. If it's not a handful of the most talked about top talents, I likely don't know who they are. When the Giants drafted Daniel Jones last year, I had no clue who he was or what position he played until they said his college position!

I did like the Texans move of trading for Brandin Cooks today. If he can stay healthy, as well as DavidJohnson...they have a lot of speed on that offense with those two and Will Fuller. Just so happens they are 3 of the most injury prone players in football.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah if the Texans offense can stay healthy they will definitely be a force to be reckoned with. Honestly the Chargers have a pretty flashy offense now too. I think Tyrod Taylor can be great in the right system that plays to his strengths. He has a lot of weapons right now. But you never know they might sign Cam too
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wouldn't say I'm a draft nerd, but I definitely go out of my way to watch the first couple rounds of the draft at least. I try to watch the NFL scouting combine as well to get an idea for the early round talent. Some players really make a big name for themselves there and it's fun to see where they eventually end up getting drafted. I don't normally get into stats and analytics for prospects though, usually just stick with highlights on youtube to keep it simple. :D

The big sports radio station here in Boston has an awesome way of predicting who the Patriots will draft each year. It has been surprisingly accurate as well for how unorthodox the method is too. They tape a draft magazine to a big board and throw a marker at the board from across the room and whoever the marker hits, is the player they predict could be drafted by the Patriots. LOL :D

In general, I love the offseason once free agency starts! I always find it fascinating to see how teams evolve and I think one of the most alluring parts is seeing where some of the big name free agents land.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Going to be a weird year for the Pat's, kind of how I felt for my Giants last year. You understand the time will always come, but when it does...its a very weird feeling. Even more so for Pat's fans and all that Brady accomplished. Always expecting to win 11+ games, wrap up the division by week 12. Lots of uncertainty now.

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Oh, absolutely! :( Super weird feelings after Bradys departure to say the least...

The sentimental fan in me wanted Tom Brady to play his whole career with the Patriots. With the hopes that he could bring them to and win at least one more Superbowl. Giving the Patriots the most Superbowl wins in NFL history then riding off into the first ballot hall of fame sunset! :D I wholly believe Tom Brady is capable of winning another Superbowl. He has still has the drive, motivation, and talent to do it. Whenever it happens, I know he will sign a one day contract to officially retire as a Patriot, but the swan song would've been so much better if he was a Patriot the whole time.

The overly-optimistic/selfish fan in me wanted the Patriots to screw themselves over the next couple years with salary cap nightmares to make a play for some big name weapons like Steffon Diggs or DeAndre Hopkins and some O line protection to lure Brady back, but the realistic fan in me knew that couldn't happen. Unfortunately, the team overall would have been similar or worse than last year if Brady had returned. They just didn't have the cap space to make it work.

It was inevitable though, it had to happen. I'm beyond grateful for the time Tom Brady spent with the Patriots and everything he accomplished, but I'm also excited for the future. We still have Belichick, so I'm still nothing but optimistic. :) I'm also completely bias but their QB Jarrett Stidham is actually pretty good and could end up surprising people this season.

You're right that the division isn't a lock anymore. The Patriots statistically have the most difficult schedule in the league this year, followed by the Jets. The AFC East in general all have tough schedules. The Bills look like the favorites right now but it will be interesting to see how the season unfolds.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I too hoped he would retire a Patriot. I was pretty upset that Paul Pierce left the Celtics too. In the end I got over it and I have no hard feelings against Pierce. Same goes for Tom. He is a dad and husband and he should do what is best for his family. I was a Pats can long before they were good and Tom owes me nothing. I hope he wins another ring in Tampa and solidifies his place as The Goat.

It doesnt hurt that I was born in Sarasota and that I have always quietly rooted for the Bucs. I was also born in 1978 so they were a new team back then. They didn’t win their first game until the second to last game of their second season and I know that for many years my father still had the newspaper from the day after their first win. He probably still does somewhere.

Go Buccs!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tampa's new jerseys look pretty bad a$$ too! I really like the charcoal/gray version.

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tampa's new jerseys look wayyyy better than Atlanta's new jerseys. Have y'all seen those?
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yeah, I definitely want to buy one of the Charcoal versions. It's the most unique color and I mostly want a jersey from this part of his career for the "collectibility" sake. I'm not a jersey collector, but still think it will be cool to have. :D

The Atlanta Jerseys aren't great! The red to blackface jersey is kind of cool because its different, but there home and away jerseys are wicked basic.

Rumors out there that the Patriots will also be changing their uniforms this season. I'm excited to see what they do!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I wander if Brady will get to wear #12?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yeah he is. I believe Chris Godwin already announced he will be switching his number to 14.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yep, Godwin did it out of respect. Classy move by the young guy that's coming into his own the last 2 years. I see more red zone looks coming his way for that move haha!

-Rick