The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by benben »

My grail is in hand! This is the LE version, comes with an extra magazine (3) and steel Meprolight night sights which is a nice bonus!
thumbnail (4).jpg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:07 pm
My grail is in hand! This is the LE version, comes with an extra magazine (3) and steel Meprolight night sights which is a nice bonus!
thumbnail (4).jpg
Wow.
Way 2 go benben!!
I hear ya buddy.
Thanx for sharing. Pics make it all the better!
benben

Post by benben »

1FE1AB3E-E4B2-4A82-9BF4-3FF25760FFE1.jpeg
I’m thinking I’m really going to like this pistol!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

VERY nice.
The LEM is the firearms equivalent of the Spydie Hole.
You can get a knife without one, but why?
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:41 pm
VERY nice.
The LEM is the firearms equivalent of the Spydie Hole.
You can get a knife without one, but why?
Thanks RI, my only problem with the LEM system (and I have 4 of them now), is that I (me) have to train solely with it. I feel like I get a little out of sorts when I shoot my Glocks, my DA/SA HK’s and my LEM HK’s together. I’m sure it’s just me, I shoot nowhere near as much as I used to, not even close!

But when I’m really dialed in with these LEM triggers they’re pretty amazing when I do my part!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:57 am
Not sure if it counts, because I got this S&W 360 on a trade, rather than a purchase, but it's the latest addition to my J-frame family...

Couldn’t resist at the price! Got one of these inbound!!! Do you like if Paul?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Gang, I would love to find a good Model 27 4" Smith at a decent price. Reckon I should just keep dreamin lol?
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:20 am
Gang, I would love to find a good Model 27 4" Smith at a decent price. Reckon I should just keep dreamin lol?
Watch your local small auction houses. Most of the small ones don't put their auctions online (like on AuctionZip, Proxibid, etc...) so the internet bidders don't see them and the locals USUALLY don't bid crazy $$$ to get guns. I appraise guns and the like for several auction houses but I only buy from the small offline operations because of the pricing. I picked up a pristine Model 28 Highway Patrolman with the original box for $600 out the door last winter and just turned down $1100 for it from a collector. Deals are out there but you have to hunt for them.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:23 am

Congrats, Darby!

As for mine, it may just have been a case of them not being what I'm use to, but I wasn't crazy about those grips. They just felt wrong to me, so I replaced them with a set of Altamont grips like the ones on my other J-frames. Aside from that, I like it a lot. It has a really nice trigger, especially when shooting single action. I'll probably never put .357 magnum ammo in it, but with +P 38's, it shoots about the same as my 637, 638, 442, and 642. I can honestly say I've gotten more enjoyment out of it in the month I've had it than I got in eight years from the gun I traded for it. :D That said, my "perfect" J-frame is still just a dream, a Pro Series version of the 638 with a Performance Center trigger job. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:40 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:23 am

Congrats, Darby!

As for mine, it may just have been a case of them not being what I'm use to, but I wasn't crazy about those grips. They just felt wrong to me, so I replaced them with a set of Altamont grips like the ones on my other J-frames. Aside from that, I like it a lot. It has a really nice trigger, especially when shooting single action. I'll probably never put .357 magnum ammo in it, but with +P 38's, it shoots about the same as my 637, 638, 442, and 642. I can honestly say I've gotten more enjoyment out of it in the month I've had it than I got in eight years from the gun I traded for it. :D That said, my "perfect" J-frame is still just a dream, a Pro Series version of the 638 with a Performance Center trigger job. :)
I have shot a J frame with those grips and didn’t mind them but my goal is pocket carry so I will be putting some sort of boot grips on. Maybe just the stock ones the 442 and others come with or maybe some aftermarket. Which Altamont grips did you get and what do you think of them. I was thinking that the black/gray G10 boot grips might look nice. I have had a 3” SP101 for a few years now but this will be my first j frame. Is there a grip you would recommend for front pocket carry?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm
I have shot a J frame with those grips and didn’t mind them but my goal is pocket carry so I will be putting some sort of boot grips on. Maybe just the stock ones the 442 and others come with or maybe some aftermarket. Which Altamont grips did you get and what do you think of them. I was thinking that the black/gray G10 boot grips might look nice. I have had a 3” SP101 for a few years now but this will be my first j frame. Is there a grip you would recommend for front pocket carry?

I use their Bateleur oversize combat grips on my J-frames, and right now have the ivory set that was on the 442 in this photo on the 360, but have a pair of the black/gray ones on order for it. Even though I pocket carry most of the time I like a hand filling grip. The Bateleur grips do that for me very nicely.
Paul
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Over the years I've bought and sold a dozen handguns in search of the ideal concealed carry. At one point I had a 442 Airweight that I carried in a front pocket. I should have kept it but sadly I do not have the hand size or strength to comfortably operate double action revolvers. It's ironic that big 1911 pattern single action pistols fit me better and are easier for me to shoot well.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

First saw this back in Feb. at a local gun shop. Wanted it, but kept putting it off. Decided to get it when the stimulus checks were a certainty, by then it had been sold. Been waiting for this one to come in ever since, and it finally arrived yesterday. It's a Tippmann Arms M4-22 Micro Elite Pistol, a .22LR version of an AR-15 pistol. Hoping to get to the range with it today. Should be a fun shooter, and even more fun when I mount the suppressor on it. :D

Paul
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:36 am
First saw this back in Feb. at a local gun shop. Wanted it, but kept putting it off. Decided to get it when the stimulus checks were a certainty, by then it had been sold. Been waiting for this one to come in ever since, and it finally arrived yesterday. It's a Tippmann Arms M4-22 Micro Elite Pistol, a .22LR version of an AR-15 pistol. Hoping to get to the range with it today. Should be a fun shooter, and even more fun when I mount the suppressor on it. :D

Crikey! Expecting trouble? :D
bearfacedkiller

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:13 am

Crikey! Expecting trouble? :D
It’s a .22lr so hopefully the trouble is just a mob of angry squirrels. :)

You could obviously ruin someone’s day with it but that is not what it’s for. It’s for making tin cans dance around the back yard. :D At least that is what I would use it for.
-Darby
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

That looks nice, Deacon.

I have an AK pattern .22LR trainer I use with my kids, but since my HD setup is an AR-9 virtually identical to that .22, I should look into something like that soon. My older daughter is getting to the age where I should make her learn to run the HD gun better.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:36 am

Congratz Paul
I love a short barreled rifle. Wouldn't take anything for my CZ Bren.
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with her...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm
Over the years I've bought and sold a dozen handguns in search of the ideal concealed carry. At one point I had a 442 Airweight that I carried in a front pocket. I should have kept it but sadly I do not have the hand size or strength to comfortably operate double action revolvers. It's ironic that big 1911 pattern single action pistols fit me better and are easier for me to shoot well.

They wouldn't help with the hand strength issue, but I've found having the right grips on a gun makes a world of difference in how well I can shoot it. As for the other, the 638 might work better for you than the 442. The shrouded hammer makes it just about as snag proof as the 442, but still allows it to be easily cocked and fired single action.

ChrisinHove wrote: Crikey! Expecting trouble? :D

Always! It's the best way to avoid it. ;) But, if that had been my goal here I have opted for a "real" AR pistol, a Stribog, or a Ruger PC Charger. :D As Darby pointed out, this one's just for fun.

bearfacedkiller wrote: It’s a .22lr so hopefully the trouble is just a mob of angry squirrels. :)

You could obviously ruin someone’s day with it but that is not what it’s for. It’s for making tin cans dance around the back yard. :D At least that is what I would use it for.

Wish I could do that here, but think the fun police from my HOA would have a serious hissy fit. :eek: :D

TomAiello wrote: That looks nice, Deacon.

I have an AK pattern .22LR trainer I use with my kids, but since my HD setup is an AR-9 virtually identical to that .22, I should look into something like that soon. My older daughter is getting to the age where I should make her learn to run the HD gun better.

Thanks Tom. From what I've read it's the closest thing to center-fire AR platform gun you can get in .22LR, so it should make a good trainer.
Paul
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Wish I could do that here, but think the fun police from my HOA would have a serious hissy fit
I can't think of a single neighbor of mine that wouldn't call the police and then the homeowners association. Some would be so hysterical they would be describing terrorist attacks and murders. I'd have some splaining to do to the local SWAT team. Naturally that would be after I was face down with my hands cuffed behind my back with a knee in my neck and a K9 Belgian Malinois sniffing my face to see if I was edibile. :eek: They just seem to have no sense of humor here. :o

I had one of the first generation AR 15 composite 5.56 pistols back in the 90's. It was obnoxiously loud even with good hearing protection and in no way trustworthy for self defense work so I got rid of it. It was an attention getter though. If I did it over I'd get a regular AR receiver and bypass the composite. My thought was it would be a good car/house gun but if I had to fire it from inside my car I'd lose most of my hearing. Almost as bad in my bedroom in which a snubbie 38 is pretty bad. I've had the occasion to shoot in smallish rooms with a bunch of different weapons and none are really fun for the ears while some are downright painful. Short barrel 357s and 5.56 short barrel rifles to me are notable.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:58 pm
Wish I could do that here, but think the fun police from my HOA would have a serious hissy fit[/quote

I had one of the first generation AR 15 composite 5.56 pistols back in the 90's. It was obnoxiously loud even with good hearing protection and in no way trustworthy for self defense work so I got rid of it. It was an attention getter though. If I did it over I'd get a regular AR receiver and bypass the composite. My thought was it would be a good car/house gun but if I had to fire it from inside my car I'd lose most of my hearing. Almost as bad in my bedroom in which a snubbie 38 is pretty bad. I've had the occasion to shoot in smallish rooms with a bunch of different weapons and none are really fun for the ears while some are downright painful. Short barrel 357s and 5.56 short barrel rifles to me are notable.

LOL...I'll wager that was a "Carbon-15" pistol. One of the least reliable firearms I've ever seen. Took one to the range with a factory rep...complete and utter failure from the 3rd round fires. I've had several come into the shop for repair and I have refused to work on every one. All of them have cracked receivers...even some I've seen that were NIB- unfired. They were horrible. Glad you got rid of your an hope you didn't lose too much on the deal.