The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
benben

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by benben »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:34 am
The law varies from state to state.
It can vary from county to county and city to city even here in NC. A self defense incident that isn't prosecuted in Johnson county NC might see the person up on murder charges in Durham NC. Activist DA's are a very real thing. Even with a decent self defense law like " stand your ground" it's up to the local prosecutor. They have all the resources in the world to make an example of someone even in obvious self defense cases.
Yep, we definitely need a “like” button here!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Reminds me of that Activist DA in Durham County - the incident where those hookers claimed those Duke frat boys raped them if I'm not mistaken.
If course they didn't and the DA was disbarred and I think faced criminal charges
But, as far as NC, I'm not sure about stand your ground but, I'm very sure that if you use deadly force to protect your self or a 3rd party from deadly force - the assailant had a deadly weapon, then you will not be charged. That is the law. Activist DA or not. The Attorney General would then get involved if he had to. I think where we differ is outside those bounds like stand your ground, I would certainly defer ro you guys.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:46 am
Btw, & unashamedly changing gears here, have any yall gun nuts (myself included! ) seen Top Gun II yet?
We saw it last night and, we really liked it!!
Lol, some people say, oh, it's a poor story. What!?!?!
It's freakin Top Gun! The first one wasn't exactly an Oscar Winner, lol....save fir the song of course, but above all, Top Gun should be entertaining and, it was!
I really don't think they could've done any better
What say yall?
I just read a pilot from central Illinois flew a bunch of the stunt flight scenes. I will try to find name .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:58 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Btw, & unashamedly changing gears here, have any yall gun nuts (myself included! ) seen Top Gun II yet?
It's freakin Top Gun! The first one wasn't exactly an Oscar Winner, lol....save fir the song of course, but above all, Top Gun should be entertaining and, it was!
What say yall?
I just read a pilot from central Illinois flew a bunch of the stunt flight scenes. I will try to find name .
Those guys surely are a rare breed imo. I don't see how they handle all those G's. Not even to mention just learning how to fly them.
One thing I wanna fins out more about are these 5th Gen Fighter Jets. I'm still thinking the F-15 Eagle and so forth were the best... I'm woefully behind the times.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:40 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
What say yall?
Those guys surely are a rare breed imo. I don't see how they handle all those G's. Not even to mention just learning how to fly them.
One thing I wanna fins out more about are these 5th Gen Fighter Jets. I'm still thinking the F-15 Eagle and so forth were the best... I'm woefully behind the times.
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
It's my understanding that SU-57's are actively flying missions in Ukraine right now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:02 pm
MacLaren wrote:
It's my understanding that SU-57's are actively flying missions in Ukraine right now.
I looked at that and, was like ....wow. just wow, Tom.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
What say yall?
Thanks Dan. A real Top Gun.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A litte bit better pic of this Armalite AR10
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 pm
Oh man Paul!! Is there any way you could include me in your will?? 😂😂
Josh
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
That is a stunning rifle ! I like the muzzle break . What is the twist ? Dan
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:25 pm
MacLaren wrote:
That is a stunning rifle ! I like the muzzle break . What is the twist ? Dan
Your too kind, Dan. Thanks buddy 😃
1:10 twist my friend. The muzzle break is tunable as well 😎
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:34 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Oh man Paul!! Is there any way you could include me in your will?? 😂😂
Lol, I know right? As much crap as I'm always posting lmao, I can assure you though, it's not what it seems 😂 - usually something has to go before I buy something else.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Well, wore out my firing pin after about 600 rounds. Definitely not heat treated correctly. Pin on the right is a BCM pin, should be good to go for a few thousand at least. Company (Bear Creek Arsenal) has a new pin on its way to me, should be here today.

Also ordered a new bolt carrier group, for backup. Already have a full bolt rebuild kit, was going to buy a new bolt as a spare but, a whole group is just $10 more... So why not?

Maybe I'll just drop the new bcg in the rifle, and it'll be one less Bear Creek part on my rifle lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Picked up an mp15-22 Moe sl. Excited to shoot her !
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am

Well, wore out my firing pin after about 600 rounds. Definitely not heat treated correctly. Pin on the right is a BCM pin, should be good to go for a few thousand at least. Company (Bear Creek Arsenal) has a new pin on its way to me, should be here today.

Also ordered a new bolt carrier group, for backup. Already have a full bolt rebuild kit, was going to buy a new bolt as a spare but, a whole group is just $10 more... So why not?

Maybe I'll just drop the new bcg in the rifle, and it'll be one less Bear Creek part on my rifle lol
What bolt carrier have you picked out ? Dan
Henry David Thoreau
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 am

What bolt carrier have you picked out ? Dan
Picked up a Brownell's BCG, nitride coating. Possibly made by Midwest Industries? Either way, its a quality looking piece. Checked fit in the rifle and it works fine. I'm going to keep it as a backup for now, since the one in the rifle works fine. I don't forsee any issues with the one in the rifle, but you never know, which is the reason for having a backup (and spare parts!)
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hey gang, I just wanna give quick plug to MK Machining in Missouri. Their business is of course machine work, with a concentration on firearms support, mainly scope rings, magnification levers, qd parts, etc.....
But, they also carry some of the finest optics in the world as well - an example would be Zero Compromise Scopes - arguably the best in the world. He posted some pics at a 1,000 yards and that ZC was just amazing ....and, he also carries budget friendly scopes that many consider the sweet spot for price & performance- an example of this would be Athlon. Athlon Scopes are very, very, good for the money! I just recently bought one for my AR10. I got the Athlon Helos BTR Gen II 2-12×42 FFP, Illuminated MIL Reticle, Zero Stop. It's just exactly what I wanted for my AR-10.
But, what's really, really, nice about MK Machining is that any scope you buy, they give you an MK Machine Throw Lever and an MK Machine Bubble Level. Plus, they also have Sezzle! I don't know about yall, but I just cannot say enough good things about sezzle, especially when it's a 4 monthly pay. For those that don't know, I believe the Sportsmansguide really got Sezzel, AfterPay, etc places like that going. So, with Sezzle, you make the 1st payment of 4 payments - but, after making the 1st payment, the retailer sends you the merchandise! It interest free as well. Imo, this makes some very nice stuff possible for people like me and maybe for you should you need it. At any rate, just wanted to let yall know about MK Machining
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:53 pm
Hey gang, …
Hey Paul, I haven’t heard of the scopes you mention but that’s neither here nor there but there’s a lot to be said for quality optics.

I’ve been happy enough with middle of the road Leupold scopes and had a .338 Win Mag break the reticle in Burris. The last scope I bought (for a CZ 527, .222 Rem) was a Leica ER 2.5-10 x 42 with a 4A (Leica) Reticle about nine years ago that I mounted with Optilock rings which have a “plastic” insert to allow for misaligned. I was curious to see how worked and I was pleasantly surprised.

Being a toolmaker by trade I’m a bit of a closet gunsmith and work an all my triggers, make my own pillars for glass bedding, etc. etc.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how flippant or perhaps ignorant most are about mounting scopes. Plenty here buy a new gun, scope, mounts and rings and leave it to the kook salesman in the shop to put it all together for them without a second thought. If they ever come to change the scope to a different gun or find they have to move it forward or aft they find their nice new scope has gouges on the tube from misaligned rings.

Mounts and rings by nature of the beast can never ever be in true alignment out of the box. It’s a physical impossibility and only the degree varies. They’ll always be non concentric, one way or another. Either left to right, up or down, not square (perpendicular) to the action and generally all the above. Hence the gouges on the scope tube and you can actually stress light actions like Remington 700’s depending on the scope and degree of misalignment.

I’m anal when it comes to mounting scopes and bought a 1” scope reamer from Brownell’s about twenty five odd years ago when they still shipped to Oz which works perfectly and much better than expected though it’s only good for steel rings and you’d chew it out on anodised, nickel or chrome plated rings. For those I turn up a mild steel (lapping) rod to use with lapping paste.

Anyhow, I just thought I’d share that and add, if you lay your gun on a bench, close your eyes, pick it up and mount it as you would to take a shot, open both eyes and your not 100% focused, seeing the reticle and target through the scope without moving your head backwards, forwards, up or down your scope needs remounting. Ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue

The link below is worth a look I reckon and shows the 1” reamer I was talking about.

https://www.larrywillis.com/mountingascope.html
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great advice Bloke ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau