The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Mad Mac »

That modifications could influence a jury is often cited.
Never have heard of a case where that happened.

If it was gold plated, engraved and had pearl handles
it might make a defendant look like a cartel member,
a drug dealer or a New Orleans pimp.

Oops!

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

If the shooting is cut & dry and it should be.....then you won't even be charged let alone go to court
Doesn't make one bit of difference whether yiu have a trigger job or not. You could tell them my trigger is 10 ounces for a faster shot and as long as the shoot is legal it doesn't matter one bit. And it surely doesn't matter one bit if you did the trigger job or Robert Burke did the trigger job.
As long as you shoot to protect yourself or a 3rd party from the use of deadly force you are a-ok.
That is unless the law for deadly force has changed.
benben

Post by benben »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:48 pm
benben wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:19 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:43 am
Thank you , good to know. I may look at one at the Gen 2 in the future. I want to do a Graygun trigger job on my H&K P30LS and possibly my CZ75 Omega before anymore buys . Dan
I’ve been looking at and researching the Graygun trigger / spring swap for my P30L V1. Just a little apprehensive on screwing with the internals on one of my defensive pistols?
When I do it , I have a gunsmith not far away that does excellent work . One thing to consider is trigger work can be a liability in some courts . I have two pistols I am happy with that will never have a trigger job .
Yep, liability is the issue I’m referring to. My P30L isn’t one of my carry guns, and probably never will be, but it’s definitely one of my nightstand pistols.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:53 pm
If the shooting is cut & dry and it should be.....then you won't even be charged let alone go to court
Doesn't make one bit of difference whether yiu have a trigger job or not. You could tell them my trigger is 10 ounces for a faster shot and as long as the shoot is legal it doesn't matter one bit. And it surely doesn't matter one bit if you did the trigger job or Robert Burke did the trigger job.
As long as you shoot to protect yourself or a 3rd party from the use of deadly force you are a-ok.
I agree with your comments , my bad I was referring to a civil court issue where modifications have been used against a defendant. Living in Illinois can be like throwing craps . Old guy in city nearby bought a SKS and shot and killed a burglar in his home after two previous breaking . It was called justified but he was still charged not having a FOID card . A guy I know shot a known druggie thief in his home and shot him as he charged him . He was cleared but burglar sued in prison and won because once out he would be disabled to ever work again . Terry lost a chunk of money .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I agree with your comments , my bad I was referring to a civil court issue where modifications have been used against a defendant. Living in Illinois can be like throwing craps . Old guy in city nearby bought a SKS and shot and killed a burglar in his home after two previous breaking . It was called justified but he was still charged not having a FOID card . A guy I know shot a known druggie thief in his home and shot him as he charged him . He was cleared but burglar sued in prison and won because once out he would be disabled to ever work again . Terry lost a chunk of money .
Bro, that's a real problem then. Sounds like a frivolous law suit to me.
Terry needs to appeal that decision!
In North Carolina they take frivolous lawsuits from convicts very seriously. I have no doubt that lawsuit would've never seen the light of day in NC
And, I should apologize. I should realize that unfortunately states like Illinois can do that to a man.
I'm just speaking to the law/criminal charges.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:32 pm
That modifications could influence a jury is often cited.
Never have heard of a case where that happened.

If it was gold plated, engraved and had pearl handles
it might make a defendant look like a cartel member,
a drug dealer or a New Orleans pimp.

Oops!

Dang, that's a pretty gun
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:31 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Bro, that's a real problem then. Sounds like a frivolous law suit to me.
Terry needs to appeal that decision!
In North Carolina they take frivolous lawsuits from convicts very seriously. I have no doubt that lawsuit would've never seen the light of day in NC
And, I should apologize. I should realize that unfortunately states like Illinois can do that to a man.
I'm just speaking to the law/criminal charges.
It’s all good my friend . I agree it sounds insane a criminal would have been able to pull off this civil lawsuit since he put himself in an unlawful situation .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

With a swipe of a pen, our unelected governor here in NY, further trampled upon our 2nd amendment rights last week. So before all the new ridiculously useless regulations go into effect, I ordered a Ruger Mini 14 and a Keltec RDB C. These will be my last two semi auto rifles for the foreseeable future or until I move out of this liberal cesspool of a state.
benben

Post by benben »

When my CCL is up for renewal, it’ll be 25 years. I’m sure I could use a refresher course on NC law! One thing I absolutely remember, my instructor back then said the average cost of a legal shoot was between $80,000 and $100,000 because of the civil suit that’s definitely coming from the family of the deceased.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:28 pm
When my CCL is up for renewal, it’ll be 25 years. I’m sure I could use a refresher course on NC law! One thing I absolutely remember, my instructor back then said the average cost of a legal shoot was between $80,000 and $100,000 because of the civil suit that’s definitely coming from the family of the deceased.
Well, I've never heard of one in NC - **** I've never even heard of a clean shoot going to Civil Court
I've lived in NC all my life and have been in law enforcement- and have many, many, friends including the S.B.I. & F.B.I. - and never have I heard of a clean shooter getting sued much less loosing in NC. Sounds to me those shoots may have been questionable - like shooting an unarmed man. Gotta be a CLEAN shoot - he needs to have a deadly weapon.
Of course I look at if from a law enforcement officer point of view. But, then again the use of deadly force applies to all. Cops aren't above the law.
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:47 pm
benben wrote:
Well, I've never heard of one in NC - **** I've never even heard of a clean shoot going to Civil Court
I've lived in NC all my life and have been in law enforcement- and have many, many, friends and never have I heard of a clean shooter getting sues much less loosing. Sounds to me those shoots may have been questionable
Just telling you exactly what he said, remember it like it was yesterday, it always stuck with me. He was a retired Police officer, ran our City Police department range, and was the department firearms instructor. I definitely had no reason to doubt him? But….I do see your point.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
The law varies from state to state.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:53 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:47 pm
benben wrote:
I've lived in NC all my life and have been in law enforcement- and have many, many, friends and never have I heard of a clean shooter getting sues much less loosing. Sounds to me those shoots may have been questionable
Just telling you exactly what he said, remember it like it was yesterday, it always stuck with me. He was a retired Police officer, ran our City Police department range, and was the department firearms instructor. I definitely had no reason to doubt him? But….I do see your point.
I hear ya benben. Your just going on what he said.
I've got a good friend in the Gastonia PD, he actually the Asst. Chief, Trent Conard. I mean I gotta wander whats goin on in the Tar Heel State when an NC instructor is saying something like that. Maybe I am that far behind the times. Maybe that instructor you had was wanting to sell that shooting liability insurance or just suggesting yall buy it. To me that's shady as heck but, in this day and age I wouldn't put a lot past anyone.....
Last edited by MacLaren on Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:26 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sure but a man should be fine using deadly force to protect oneself or a third party against the use of deadly force - in other words the assailant had a deadly weapon and was going to use it against you or an innocent 3rd party. Where it gets questionable is when people and cops start shooting unarmed people.
Now, I can certainly see yalls point there and the need to worry about Civil Liability.
Tom, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I guess I've just been out of things too long. Im just talking from an NC point of view. - I appreciate your patience
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Fellas, please excuse me.
Sometimes I like to think that I know what I'm talkin about. And, sometimes like everyone else, I do.
And, although I do know NC deadly force laws, I am unfamiliar with other state laws.
Fact is, I'm pretty ignorant to civilian shootings and what especially civil lawsuits. That being said, again, please excuse my ignorance.
If yall say a self modified trigger can hurr you civily down the road, then so be it. In this day and age. I would imagine yall know what your talkin about when it comes to self defense shootings and civil liability that ensues after the incident.
Lol, I'll be quiet.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Btw, & unashamedly changing gears here, have any yall gun nuts (myself included! ) seen Top Gun II yet?
We saw it last night and, we really liked it!!
Lol, some people say, oh, it's a poor story. What!?!?!
It's freakin Top Gun! The first one wasn't exactly an Oscar Winner, lol....save fir the song of course, but above all, Top Gun should be entertaining and, it was!
I really don't think they could've done any better
What say yall?
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Top Gun was freaking awesome! Coworker and his girlfriend saw it last night, both said the same thing, it was awesome!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My wife has been wanting to see it. We actually made the kids watch the original, and then tried to go see the new one on Sunday of opening weekend, but every showtime in our theater was sold out online and there were zero in person tickets available. I've never seen that happen before in our town. I'm on the road now, but hopefully we can take the family to see it after I get home.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Have friends who have seen it and said it's great. Don't think I'll go to the theater, but will watch it at some point. The best part is the motorcycle though... That old ninja! Talking about the first movie, not sure if he has the old 900 in the new one. Maybe a new H2, or at least a zx10.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It can vary from county to county and city to city even here in NC. A self defense incident that isn't prosecuted in Johnson county NC might see the person up on murder charges in Durham NC. Activist DA's are a very real thing. Even with a decent self defense law like " stand your ground" it's up to the local prosecutor. They have all the resources in the world to make an example of someone even in obvious self defense cases.