River's Edge PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tbdoc4kids

Re: River's Edge PM2

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Subverto wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:55 pm
Got mine today. Worst lock stick I've experienced with a PM2 to date. Everything else looks good aside from the edge grind being 20ish degrees on one side and 15ish degrees on the other. That seems to be the norm with Golden Spyderco's now.
If it’s really terrible you might call REC and see if they held some back for exchanges.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:09 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:58 pm
My REC PM2 arrived today. It's nice! And I'm over it now haha
:rofl Ain't that the statement of all statements in this hobby! Your statement needs to be pinned at the top of the board. :zany
I have several PM2s including the one with OD green G10 and DLC S30V blade and if that one had the black liners and spacers I think I'd like it better than the REC one. Their all good but basically the same thing in a different package
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:48 pm
Hahaha, "perks" of being around the hobby long enough! Takes a new design to really spike the interest.
PM2 is a great design and it's the flagship model for good reason. I still like the model but not sure why I'm compelled to buy more. I guess the only reason I bought this one was because I was on the fence originally, then decided to get one and it got oversold. So I figured I waited this long. I might as well go ahead and get it

I agree on waiting on new models that get my interest. I've been carrying my Paysan a lot along with my Mantra and Sages. Since I tuned my original Sage 5 it's become one of my favorite knives. Otherswise I'm pretty good with the current line-up. I may get a SpyMoto but not sure I like how they did the thumbhole on the blade. We'll see how I feel when they drop. Otherwise there's nothing I don't have that thrills me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

CDEP wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:44 pm
Mine arrived today and I like the colorway much more IRL than in the online photos. Wishing I'd grabbed some of the others now.

Knife was perfect out of the box.
My thoughts as well, except, as Mr. Subverto mentioned, I also had the worst lock stick I've ever seen on a PM2, or any Spyderco actually. I wonder if that is related to the black coating on the lock bar, and for those who followed the conversation, if that had anything to do with the recent BladeHQ Yojumbo exclusive not having a coated liner/lock? I imagine the lock would eventually wear in just fine, but that golden blade on the REC exclusive is just beautiful, and I have plenty of user PM2s, so I'm keeping this one as a pristine safe queen. I hope we see more knife blades with PVD coatings in colors other than black. A copper or blue colored blade could look amazing if paired with the right scales.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Funny. Mine came with the best action of any pm2 I own. And that’s saying something. Must be a knife to knife case.
MRj “Weak things break!”
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

My REC PM 2 also came with great action! I agree with another posting...the knife looks much better in person than in any of the photos online. That said, I have not used a PM2 for EDC...but now I've found one! :star-struck
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

Mine came with a very smooth action and great lock thankfully.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:19 pm
CDEP wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:44 pm
Mine arrived today and I like the colorway much more IRL than in the online photos. Wishing I'd grabbed some of the others now.

Knife was perfect out of the box.
My thoughts as well, except, as Mr. Subverto mentioned, I also had the worst lock stick I've ever seen on a PM2, or any Spyderco actually. I wonder if that is related to the black coating on the lock bar, and for those who followed the conversation, if that had anything to do with the recent BladeHQ Yojumbo exclusive not having a coated liner/lock? I imagine the lock would eventually wear in just fine, but that golden blade on the REC exclusive is just beautiful, and I have plenty of user PM2s, so I'm keeping this one as a pristine safe queen. I hope we see more knife blades with PVD coatings in colors other than black. A copper or blue colored blade could look amazing if paired with the right scales.
yes, coating on contact surface may cause lock stick on occassion; however, it's fairly apparent when it's to degree that you're not outrunning it with wear. the one instance i've experienced such with a spyderco was the teal s90v pm2. i sent it in and got it back less than 2 weeks later along with my $5 bill. they basically sanded off coating at contact point.
Eagle1*

Post by Eagle1* »

Been gone awhile and just started to get back into my knife collecting and have been learning/narrowing it donw to the PM2 as I have never owned one. I wish I would have started back into the spydies a few months ago, I would have jumped on one of these as well. Been looking at them on Ebay and trying to decide what a good price would be for one in the after market since they have just released a run. Thinking it would be a bit till REC releases another run so I am thinking of getting one off of the bay. Thoughts???
In God we trust, ALL others are checked through NCIC
phaust

Post by phaust »

Eagle1* wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:37 pm
Been gone awhile and just started to get back into my knife collecting and have been learning/narrowing it donw to the PM2 as I have never owned one. I wish I would have started back into the spydies a few months ago, I would have jumped on one of these as well. Been looking at them on Ebay and trying to decide what a good price would be for one in the after market since they have just released a run. Thinking it would be a bit till REC releases another run so I am thinking of getting one off of the bay. Thoughts???
They don't have much markup on reddit when they get listed (https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/new/). You can also search there to see what they sold for since it's a rule to keep the sold price listed.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Eagle1* wrote:
Someone on BF sold one for cost a couple of days ago.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Eagle1* wrote:
Thinking it would be a bit till REC releases another run so I am thinking of getting one off of the bay. Thoughts???
Welcome back Eagle1. It was over 3 years between runs. So yeah, it'll be awhile. The REC PM2 is nice but, aside from the PVD coated blade, it really isn't any different than any other PM2. There's no way I'd pay some of the crazy prices I see on ebay. I understand paying a reasonable upcharge but some of these people are just fishing for some person to come along and pay their price. I'd do what do what the others suggested and keep an eye on BF and maybe Reddit. Hopefully you can find one for a more reasonable price
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Eagle1*

Post by Eagle1* »

Thanks guys. Now let's see some more of these neat knives guys.
In God we trust, ALL others are checked through NCIC
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

You shone able to get one for close to $200, maybe less.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.