Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Re: Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Post by Netherend »

An Endela Salt would be a perfect EDC knife. I really hope that they will make one happen. I would buy one in H1, LC200N or Magnacut a heartbeat
Just one more knife...
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'd probably buy one, but not because I think it would be useful to me. For me, the existing Pac Salt is a little smaller than I'd like, and less pointy, so I'd prefer going in the opposite direction: Police 4 Salt, in any of the appropriate steels.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I hope it would come in a normal blade shape and not just sheepsfoot or wharncliffe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:52 pm
I hope it would come in a normal blade shape and not just sheepsfoot or wharncliffe

Yes, I am hoping for the standard shape, plus a wharnie AND a hawkbill myself!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I think all the most popular standard models like Delica, Endela, Endura, Native, Para3, ParaMilitary2, etc. should come in 3 different steels: standard (VG-10/S30V/S45VN), highly corrosion resistant (H1/LC200N/MagnaCut) and tool steel (K390/CruWear).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:23 am
I think all the most popular standard models like Delica, Endela, Endura, Native, Para3, ParaMilitary2, etc. should come in 3 different steels: standard (VG-10/S30V/S45VN), highly corrosion resistant (H1/LC200N/MagnaCut) and tool steel (K390/CruWear).

That sounds good and very sensible!

Only thing I am not sure: How well VG10 would be received if the exact same knife would be available in LC200N too (I assume most people would prefer the latter, though I personally would still take VG10 over LC).

If, like it is right now with the Seki knives, the VG10 version would have liners, but the LC version not, this would be a different story though and not make the two versions that much competing with each other.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi Warstein,

I'm watching sales on the Endela before thinking about a Salt version which will require new FRN tooling so we can make it without the liners.

sal

Shamelessly bumbing "my" thread and quoting Sal, cause someone said in another thread that according to a knife store the Endela would actually sell pretty well, so, if true, an " Endela middle ground Salt" could be more realistic now?

(Sal quote from Feb 2020 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85893#p1398623)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Here's to hoping it's in the queue somewhere!
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

An Endela or Stretch sized salt would be a perfect EDC.
Just one more knife...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I plan on buying the DLT endela in cruwear and I already have purchased 2 other endela's... im doing my part!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:53 pm
I plan on buying the DLT endela in cruwear and I already have purchased 2 other endela's... im doing my part!

Good on you! ;)

/ As said: The Endela seems to sell not too bad, actually. Hopefully enough so that a Salt version will be justified eventually.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The only steel I’m seeing that probably shouldn’t be replaced with Magnacut (if it really pans out) in RamZar’s list is K390.

I think all those other steels are great, but if it’s possible to get enough at a decent price; it sure would simplify things for Spyderco.

Donning flak jacket in Three.. Two.. One..
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

-AHAB
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Throw my vote in for some Endela Salts. It would quickly become my fly fishing/camping/backpacking folder.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I'd like to get the cruwear Endela but it's never in stock.
- Richard
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes to Endela Salt. Can a Salt with liners be done now to save tooling costs? Maybe it would make the knife too expensive.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cabfrank,

It can be done with liners, as shown by the Caribbean model. I'm testing Salt model with liners right now. But it is much easier to create, and build it without liners. I designed the Endela to be part of the Endura family, so I designed it with liners. When I designed the Stetch 2 XL, It was a bit of an anomaly to the Endura family, due to the finger choil on a larger folder. But the design seemed like it would be an effective EDC. I designed the model to have liners. It was Eric's wisdom to make the model up front with no liners, for lighter weight and in preparation for a Salt version.

I haven't spoken with Eric on what plans he might have for an Endela Salt, so I don't know his leanings. I'll prod his brain?

sal
tzirconia

Post by tzirconia »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 pm
I'd like to get the cruwear Endela but it's never in stock.
Yes to an Endela Salt, and I too would love to try the Cruwear variant. I put my email address in to be notified when it's back in stock so fingers crossed that happens...someday...
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

JayHenMac wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 pm
Throw my vote in for some Endela Salts. It would quickly become my fly fishing/camping/backpacking folder.
DITTO 👆
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm
I haven't spoken with Eric on what plans he might have for an Endela Salt, so I don't know his leanings. I'll prod his brain?
This would be great... I so hope Eric will consider an Endela Salt (linerless)!
(And perhaps give it an a bit longer blade than the VG10 Endela, just like the Salt 2 has an a bit longer blade than the Delica...)