Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Endela (-sized "middle ground" knife) in the "Pac Salt family"?!

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks sal.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would definitely opt for an Endela Salt . Count me in . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I’d love an Endela salt, too!
James Y

Post by James Y »

It would also be great if an Endela Salt's blade shape is kept exactly the same as the regular Endela's; meaning, the tip is NOT made any more rounded in the same way that the tips on the Salt 1 & 2, and the Pac Salt were changed and sheepsfooted from the Delica's and the Endura's original tip shapes. The Endela's tip is strong enough at it is.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:01 pm
It would also be great if an Endela Salt's blade shape is kept exactly the same as the regular Endela's; meaning, the tip is NOT made any more rounded in the same way that the tips on the Salt 1 & 2, and the Pac Salt were changed and sheepsfooted from the Delica's and the Endura's original tip shapes. The Endela's tip is strong enough at it is.

True, the Endela tip is strong enough!

But I think the sheepsfooty Salt 2 and Pac Salt tips are there to make those models more like the kind of knives people sometimes use on boats and rafts, so blades with purposefully blunter tips?

Easy to mod a sheepsfooty tip to more pointy, but not the other way round unless one sacrifices cutting edge length.. ?

On the Salt 2 ffg with its thin blade stock I actually like the sheepsfooty, strong tip - makes the knife a real outdoor-beater-model.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

tzirconia wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm
riclaw wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 pm
I'd like to get the cruwear Endela but it's never in stock.
Yes to an Endela Salt, and I too would love to try the Cruwear variant. I put my email address in to be notified when it's back in stock so fingers crossed that happens...someday...
Be fast. I received an email notification a few months back and they were OOS again in the 5 or so minutes it took me to check my email.
- Richard
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:58 pm
James Y wrote:

True, the Endela tip is strong enough!

But I think the sheepsfooty Salt 2 and Pac Salt tips are there to make those models more like the kind of knives people sometimes use on boats and rafts, so blades with purposefully blunter tips?

Easy to mod a sheepsfooty tip to more pointy, but not the other way round unless one sacrifices cutting edge length.. ?

On the Salt 2 ffg with its thin blade stock I actually like the sheepsfooty, strong tip - makes the knife a real outdoor-beater-model.
Do you prefer the salt ffg in lc200n or the saber/hollow h2? I think the ffg Endela is better. If an Endela salt comes around, I'd prefer ffg but only if the steel works. Magnacut is a Golden steel and the Delica/Endura line hails from Japan. Wonder how that'd work.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes, an Endela Salt is definitely on my short list of knives I am impatiently waiting on. The Endela is an underrated masterpiece. It's the perfect EDC. I prefer linerless in Salts because I clip them on my boardshorts which are lightweight and tied with a drawstring. A heavier linered model weighs them down a bit more. Linerless plain edge LC200N is my preference.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vamais wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:35 pm
0ED45790-7EC1-45EF-9D66-25F119FDB1FF.jpeg
88138FB8-CEFD-4286-A946-DF853E04BBB5.jpeg
F3739AE8-AD09-40F4-8E2A-CCF725EF2D38.jpeg

viewtopic.php?t=94193

Yes, the Atlantic offering another / more blade shape(s) would not be the worst option - see also here
viewtopic.php?t=88094
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:58 pm
James Y wrote:
Do you prefer the salt ffg in lc200n or the saber/hollow h2? I think the ffg Endela is better. If an Endela salt comes around, I'd prefer ffg but only if the steel works. Magnacut is a Golden steel and the Delica/Endura line hails from Japan. Wonder how that'd work.

Sorry for the late reply!

- When it comes to H1/H2 I only have experience with SE, while I know LC (and VG10) in both SE and PE.

- But comparing SE in sabre hollow H1 and SE in ffg LC200N: Hard to tell which one I prefer, really depends:

I think ffg and the tapering spine/blade it brings with it is more versatile and overall a better slicer.

The sabre/hollow of H1 and the not tapered, strong spine/blade and strong tip though is super robust and I love it as a real outdoor beater, that can be used for some prying and one has not be worried about tip strength.
Also when cutting matter with not wide diameter the hollow grind actually IS very "slicey".

/ Concerning the Endela:
As long as VG10 offers enough corrosion resistance for you (for me it definitely does), you are also not concerned with liners that could rust and the a bit higher weight is not an issue:
The Endela SE is an amazing outdoor knife! Very robust built, and its shallower, less aggressive serration pattern works even better for me than the way the teeth are done both in my LC 200N Salt 2 SE and my H1 Pac Salt 1 Se.

Thing is:
In my outdoor use I normally grab a) a superlight, but for that weight extremely capable knife, which would be the Salt 2 SE in my case.
Or, b) I want a longer cutting edge in the first place and if so go all the way and grab the Pac Salt (also lighter) and not the Endela (which offers noticably less edge than the Pac Salt/Endura).
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 pm
Thanks for the reply. Verry helpful. I've searched and read mixed results when comparing the performance of SE LC200N and H1/H2. I think I'll just have to buy one of each and compare. Who knows, maybe a magnacut option will be available and I'll have three to compare. Basically I want a 3-3.5 inch folder in a corrosion resistant serrated blade that will hold a working edge for as long as I need. I usually throw a sharpmaker rod in my gear, so the steel will need to also be manageable without crazy specialized sharpening stones. A SE Endela Salt LW would be perfect. I have a new Native 5 Salt, maybe that one will fill the need.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JayHenMac wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 pm
Thanks for the reply. Verry helpful. I've searched and read mixed results when comparing the performance of SE LC200N and H1/H2. I think I'll just have to buy one of each and compare. Who knows, maybe a magnacut option will be available and I'll have three to compare. Basically I want a 3-3.5 inch folder in a corrosion resistant serrated blade that will hold a working edge for as long as I need. I usually throw a sharpmaker rod in my gear, so the steel will need to also be manageable without crazy specialized sharpening stones. A SE Endela Salt LW would be perfect. I have a new Native 5 Salt, maybe that one will fill the need.

I still don´t know about that "work hardening thing" they say goes on with serrated H1/H2 (some actually say this is debunked), but I personally definitely experience a very high level of edge retention with serrated H1.

But as said serrated H1/H2 vs serrated LC 200N for me is much more about the different grinds (sabre hollow vs ffg) - ffg being a bit more versatile, but the added strength of blade and tip the sabre hollow grind offers is sometimes reassuring and good to have in an outdoor folder.

In many tasks outdoors the serrated H1/H2 sabre hollow even really excels: Makes amazingly fine feathersticks and bites deeply into wood when creating a nodge or whatever (both also due to the rather high chisel grind).
Not so good at things like food prep though.

Yes, you need to try both ;)

And also yes, an Endela Salt would be great! And, as said, even better when they gave it an a bit longer blade than the VG10 Endela has, just like the Salt 2 has a longer blade than the Delica 4.
Then an Endela Salt would be a superlight, compact carry with still a decent amount of edge to work with.

/ Btw: Get the Endela SE too... you won´t regret it!
Great serration pattern, a true, sturdy workhorse-knife and it is not likfe VG10 would be super rustprone either...