A big decade for Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

A big decade for Spyderco

Post by JacksonKnives »

I was just looking at the new announcements and Shot show interviews, and realized it's been 10 years since the Para Military 2 and Manix 2 were released. (The original Para was released in 2004, but 2010 brought improvements on basically every front, and my understanding is that 2010 marked a shift in production scale at the Golden factory--leading to a treble-size expansion in 2015.)

What a decade!

We've seen some major tends come and go in that time, but these two models pretty much define the "must-have" category for me. Glad to see Eric trying new things with a Tanto and lightweight versions, and very excited to see what comes next.
Wartstein

Re: A big decade for Spyderco

Post by Wartstein »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:09 pm
I was just looking at the new announcements and Shot show interviews, and realized it's been 10 years since the Para Military 2 and Manix 2 were released. (The original Para was released in 2004, but 2010 brought improvements on basically every front, and my understanding is that 2010 marked a shift in production scale at the Golden factory--leading to a treble-size expansion in 2015.)

What a decade!

We've seen some major tends come and go in that time, but these two models pretty much define the "must-have" category for me. Glad to see Eric trying new things with a Tanto and lightweight versions, and very excited to see what comes next.

Well, yes, what a decade, you´re right! :) And I was not even into Spyderco (or quality folders generally) in the beginning of that decade...

For me the PM2 and Manix 2 are rather in the must have TRIED category. Both great and iconic models, and I am glad I own/owned, experienced and tried both (still have a PM2) though I moved on in favor of other models finally. But I´d still take both over probably almost any model of another brand...
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm very happy to have carried a Spyderco, every, single, day, for very close to the entire decade
Last edited by cabfrank on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jackson,

Thanx much. We try.

sal
acer

Post by acer »

Has it been 10 years since manix 2 para 2 released , my how times flies . Yes I remember how smooth the manix felt to open ie bushing system and ball lock mechanism and yes the para military 2 , what great knives. Looking forward to another ten years , and more , hopefully, you just never know what around the corner. ? Military 2 compression lock 😀
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Paramilitary 2 gets my vote for knife of the decade!!!
-Nick :bug-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The PM2 is a perfect design that I think could go unchanged for another decade and still remain the best on the market!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:18 am
I'm very happy to have carried a Spyderco, every, single, day, for very close to the entire decade
I have cheated some days, but mostly carried Spyderco since i swapped my Buck 110 for the Delica back in the early 90's :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spyderco wasn't even on my radar 10 years ago, which is pretty sad considering I lived 20 minutes from the SFO until 2009. I missed some awesome models, but I think now is an excellent time to be on the spydie train, too. Better late than never!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:52 am
Spyderco wasn't even on my radar 10 years ago, which is pretty sad considering I lived 20 minutes from the SFO until 2009. I missed some awesome models, but I think now is an excellent time to be on the spydie train, too. Better late than never!

Same here. Ten years ago I was too naive to know what characteristics made a quality knife. And if you would have asked me then, what I thought about the kind of money I spend now on a knife, I would have looked at you like you were crazy. Even two years ago when I first came across Spyderco and joined this forum, I held steadfast to $50 or less...haha, as if this would last long lol. Then I compromised and talked myself into moving the bar to $75, which got me into Delica 4 territory and I'm so glad that I did, because the Delica 4 has been real eye opener for me and I have learned so much since then. Then the Para 3 LW was released, which ticked so many boxes for me and I compromised once again saying "well, at least it's still under $100, so not too bad". Guess I'm due for another compromise lol.

Crazy :D

Thank you Sal for all you and your team do!!
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I remember when the the first paramilitary 2’s started hitting shelves. I was....ecstatic. I knew it was an instant classic.

It has been a hall of fame knife for me for a decade now. That’s crazy. Time flies.

I actually still own an original manix 2 and also one of the first sprints, a tan g10 model with M4 steel. Still have one of those sitting brand new in the box. Probably from 2011 if I recall correctly? Crazy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This will be 10 years that I've been on the forum. I got my first Spyderco back in 2005 but I didn't think to look for a forum back then. I'm fortunate to have seen a lot of significant models come in that time and I got here while a lot of classic models were still in production. JD is known for preaching the gospel about the early 2000s but I think the 2010's will go down as a major decade for the brand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:33 am
I have to agree with this. I still have my original PM2 from when it was first released.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Mine too, followed by the Autonomy!
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:33 am
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

acer wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:35 am
Military 2 compression lock 😀
In Ranger Green & K390. :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.