Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennbr34

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by kennbr34 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:22 am

Here is a good educational video on How To.
One thing that always makes me think I don't get my straight razors sharp enough is when people make comments like, "Don't ever let it touch your skin without moving, or it will cut you." For example when he was talking about finding the angle... I don't have that experience at all.

I've been thinking about starting to restore and resell razors as shave ready for as cheap as possible. I've done 5 so far, with various levels of success. Turns out I suck at re-pinning them. Either my scales end up not flush, or the pivot ends up dangerously loose. Been thinking about sending some of those duds off to some experienced straight razor enthusiasts for some feedback on my edges.

I like the denim strop idea though. I think I'm gonna try that. I have been using a paddle strop and have always wondered how having some slack in it would affect things. Seems like it would allow the apex to be radiused, but then on the other hand maybe it creates a kind of micro bevel? I remember reading an article on Science of Sharp about it long ago but don't remember which it was.

I switched back to WTG passes only for a while. I just can't seem to not nick myself on ATG passes, mostly because the grain goes side to side on my neck, and trying to move the razor in that direction is really hard. I finally got the hang of doing it without nicking myself, but there's so much left over irritation that I've never let fully heal, that it's kind of hard to tell what is new irritation and what's old.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'm gonna check out the whole course. I could probably stand to relearn. I pretty much winged it and developed my process by trial and error, and it's uhh... Not the best.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

kennbr34 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:36 am
Doc Dan wrote:

One thing that always makes me think I don't get my straight razors sharp enough is when people make comments like, "Don't ever let it touch your skin without moving, or it will cut you." For example when he was talking about finding the angle... I don't have that experience at all.

I've been thinking about starting to restore and resell razors as shave ready for as cheap as possible. I've done 5 so far, with various levels of success. Turns out I suck at re-pinning them. Either my scales end up not flush, or the pivot ends up dangerously loose. Been thinking about sending some of those duds off to some experienced straight razor enthusiasts for some feedback on my edges.

I like the denim strop idea though. I think I'm gonna try that. I have been using a paddle strop and have always wondered how having some slack in it would affect things. Seems like it would allow the apex to be radiused, but then on the other hand maybe it creates a kind of micro bevel? I remember reading an article on Science of Sharp about it long ago but don't remember which it was.

I switched back to WTG passes only for a while. I just can't seem to not nick myself on ATG passes, mostly because the grain goes side to side on my neck, and trying to move the razor in that direction is really hard. I finally got the hang of doing it without nicking myself, but there's so much left over irritation that I've never let fully heal, that it's kind of hard to tell what is new irritation and what's old.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'm gonna check out the whole course. I could probably stand to relearn. I pretty much winged it and developed my process by trial and error, and it's uhh... Not the best.
Two things come to mind: First, I am impressed with the edges I am getting from diamond pasted balsa. Message me if you are interested and I'll clue you in. Be warned, this produces an extremely sharp edge.

Second, it might be your soap that keeps you from doing XTG and ATG passes. Soap quality is very important and just because the soap is popular doesn't mean it is the right soap for your particular face. Also, as said in the video, moister soap, but not runny, is what you want with a straight razor...and a better quality soap, such as one of Shannon's Chupacabra base soaps or Ariana and Evans Kaizen 2e based soaps. Barrister and Mann Omnibus base is great, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:15 am
kennbr34 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Two things come to mind: First, I am impressed with the edges I am getting from diamond pasted balsa. Message me if you are interested and I'll clue you in. Be warned, this produces an extremely sharp edge.

Second, it might be your soap that keeps you from doing XTG and ATG passes. Soap quality is very important and just because the soap is popular doesn't mean it is the right soap for your particular face. Also, as said in the video, moister soap, but not runny, is what you want with a straight razor...and a better quality soap, such as one of Shannon's Chupacabra base soaps or Ariana and Evans Kaizen 2e based soaps. Barrister and Mann Omnibus base is great, too.
One thing I noticed about those videos that seems to go against the traditional wisdom of which order the passes go in. I always thought it must go WTG, XTG and then ATG, but he leaves XTG for last. Does it actually even matter or is it just particular to his grain pattern?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennbr34 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:15 am
kennbr34 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

One thing I noticed about those videos that seems to go against the traditional wisdom of which order the passes go in. I always thought it must go WTG, XTG and then ATG, but he leaves XTG for last. Does it actually even matter or is it just particular to his grain pattern?
Most people I know, including me, go WTG, ATG, and XTG, in that order. Do whatever works best for you.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, it is 2024. I am hoping that this year will bring forth the Spyderco Straight Razor (Wildcat?).

Remember, for those of you starting out using a straight razor, don't try to use the whole blade length. Use a third to a half of the length while shaving. Less is more. Also, start by laying the blade flat on your skin, no pressure, and raise the spine one spine thickness off of your face. That is the angle for a good shave. Less angle than peeling an apple. Don't press. Let the razor do most of the work. As you gain experience, you will know your angles and pressures that you need. I use the toe (front part of the edge) the most, but I also use the heel (back part of the edge) for some tight places, as examples. Start like this and you won't get cut.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

@Sal, any update on the straight razor?

What have you decided to call it?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Blonde horn scaled Thiers Issard Medaille D'Or Alger straight razor. The C135 steel is run around 64-65 HRC.
Shannon's Soaps Balkan Blend. The scent is a blend of four types of pipe tobacco, including latakia and others. The Chupacabra base is very slick.
The brush is one I cobbled together from parts bought from an online seller in Michigan.

This was a glorious shave. I am posting lest we forget.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050