Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGearAddiction

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Ranger000 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:44 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:01 am
The timing couldn't be better. With the ridiculous, outrageous costs of disposable razors and other shaving gear I've really been considering going full stride with a straight razor setup. I'm sure Mr. Glesser could put out a product that could compete heavily with any of the newer straight razors that are on the marketplace.

There is a chain of stores that sell shaving gear and we had one here in Kansas City called "The Art of Shaving" which would be a great dealer to hook up with. Not sure why they closed their doors here in KC because they did a lot of business in the swank shopping district known as the Country Club Plaza.

I do think the overall trend is heading back in that direction however. Because the 3 major companies who make and sell disposable razors must have profit margins similar to the outrageous Pharmaceutical companies because they most certainly price gouge in similar fashion.
What? They closed in KCMO? I wonder why?

Do you really wonder why ??!!

Procter & Gamble plans to close a large majority of the company’s 83 retail stores operated by the upscale Art of Shaving brand, citing a drastic decline in the popularity of some malls and changing consumer habits that include a growing preference for online shopping.

Their products are average at best, tremendously over rated and their prices are super high!

I am surprised it took this long!

This announcement wasn't a surprise to me.

I had visited several locations, including my local one and the flagship store in New York City and both were incredibly pushy (trying to get me to buy an incredibly overpriced Gillette Fusion cartridge handle versus the Merkur double-edge handle I wanted to buy), the environment felt too stuffy and the products were not priced competitively.

With that being said, back when it was open, I did get a shave at my local one and that was an incredible experience (albeit expensive), however, I would say to find a local barber who still provides this service (unfortunately, it seems to be a dying art) and give it a shot -- it's something that everyone who shaves should try once.

Regarding the Straight Razor, I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes -- I've never used a straight razor (just a Dovo Shavette), but would love to see what Spyderco brings to the table. Most days I unfortunately don't have time to do a proper wet shave (reserved for the weekends), but I do still use my shavette for sideburns, and would love to replace that.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SECO Spydie wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:15 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:38 pm
Now, the question is, what blade style? Round point (best all around and for beginners), pointed AKA American point, Spanish point, modified Spanish point (I like this), barber's point (dangerous), or French point?

I'll take some pictures of some of mine and post them.
Hello Doc Dan,

Do you happen to be a member of the Rocky Mountain Smiths?
Hi SECO, I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. Somehow I didn't get an alert and missed it in all of the activity. No, I am not a member of Rocky Mountain Smiths. I'm no Sal Glesser. I wouldn't know how to make a blade if my life depended on it. That is a skill that requires talent and years of experience and know-how.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Thanks, I will buy the Spyderco when available. It will be a collector piece or a user.

Also I would have to send mine out for sharpening
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I did not know “Art of Shaving” was a Proctor & Gamble gambit. Good riddance.

Would love to see pics of the new Spyderco straight, I’ll be digging to see if any are posted from the show.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

They didn't post any pictures of it. I guess it was because the razor is a prototype. This is a fun project and I can't wait until the razor is released and pray I have the money for one at the time. 🙏🏻
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would like to see the prototype, even if the final product would look different.

I had not so good experiences with straight razors but the Spyderco approach I want to try.
The razors I had were all not sharp enough. Even after letting them sharpen again professionally.

All spydies so far were incredible sharp ootb.
Means that straight razor is definitely worth to try.

Hope the price will be reasonable.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Whilst I have a beard, I still use a straight razor to trim the edges...
I also am waiting with antici............................................................. pation...
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

I would be in on one. Unless there were different steel options, then I would need to establish a separate bank account so wife doesn't notice another collection forming...
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

burlyspyder wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:58 am
I would be in on one. Unless there were different steel options, then I would need to establish a separate bank account so wife doesn't notice another collection forming...
Hahahaha! I can relate to that!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:10 am
I also am waiting with antici............................................................. pation...
I also do that. I find a straight gives you more control and better lines. Sometimes I actually miss shaving my whole face with a straight. I just don't want to go through the process of growing a beard back.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

VashHash wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:11 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:10 am
I also do that. I find a straight gives you more control and better lines. Sometimes I actually miss shaving my whole face with a straight. I just don't want to go through the process of growing a beard back.
I like shaving so much with a straight razor my wife thinks I'm nuts. I do maintain a mustache and goatee because my wife loves it. A straight razor makes keeping it looking good a snap.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Notice any beards? Me neither. Unlike what modern Hollywood would have us believe, Cowboys used a straight razor, even on the range. Except for a mustache, they were generally clean shaven.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Methinks that a local barber, short on work, told the fellas that these are historical images and that no one will know who they are/were... and that the beards must be removed...

Then he whipped up a lather, and used his latest bolted together 8 blade straight razor made by Jeremiah Glesser, and the rest is history!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahaha! You may be right!

Even pictures of cowboys on trail drives show them shaven and sometimes in the act of shaving.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Can the razor have a compression lock?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am so looking forward to the Spyderco razor. Today, I used my Thiers Issard straight razor, Ariana & Evans Barbershop scent shaving soap, and a Yaqi Red Ferrari brush (that I bought yesterday from a dealer at cost). It was a glorious experience. I just had the razor honed and that fresh edge cut down two days growth of beard like it was a hair remover foam. It just wiped the whiskers away. Two passes and I was nearly BB smooth. I did a little touch up, but I didn't really need it. It was so enjoyable I was a little sad when it was over. However, my Sunday go to meeting shave was perfect.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 pm

Bwahaha! Check those guys out! I think that picture is the New York City Boys Choir when they visited the Wild West Dressup Experience at the county fair.

Does anyone REALLY carry a revolver tucked into their cartridge belt? It would last two minutes... best. The pleated chaps look really nice, though. The guys on the floor look like they're posing for a Cosmopolitan Magazine, but the guy on the left traded in his chaps for dominatrix boots. The only thing missing from this group is an Indian, a cop, and a construction worker.

😂
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That was all fashionable back then. Photographic studios would have costumes for people to don so they wouldn't have on their rough range clothing. They probably tucked the guns in the belt for the picture so they'd show.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Even pictures of cowboys on trail drives show them shaven and sometimes in the act of shaving.

Looks like he could make a few passes on his legs. :winking-tongue
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Didn't realize Christian Bale was that old.....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049