Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder how this project is progressing? I have gone back and reworked some of the booklet and am polishing up some of the rest. I just put down my ideas and now I will fill it all in.

I've been using a pinch grip with the handle of my straight razor sticking out in line with the blade instead of at right angles. With my ham hands I found I am getting really good control this way and I don't have to keep changing grips. There is no right way or wrong way to hold a straight razor, as long as you have hold of the tang (the handle flops).

Really excited about the upcoming Spyderco Straight Razor. @Sal, any thoughts to share?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

We'll be showing a sample at the meet in A'Dam.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Woohoo!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The timing couldn't be better. With the ridiculous, outrageous costs of disposable razors and other shaving gear I've really been considering going full stride with a straight razor setup. I'm sure Mr. Glesser could put out a product that could compete heavily with any of the newer straight razors that are on the marketplace.

There is a chain of stores that sell shaving gear and we had one here in Kansas City called "The Art of Shaving" which would be a great dealer to hook up with. Not sure why they closed their doors here in KC because they did a lot of business in the swank shopping district known as the Country Club Plaza.

I do think the overall trend is heading back in that direction however. Because the 3 major companies who make and sell disposable razors must have profit margins similar to the outrageous Pharmaceutical companies because they most certainly price gouge in similar fashion.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:01 am
The timing couldn't be better. With the ridiculous, outrageous costs of disposable razors and other shaving gear I've really been considering going full stride with a straight razor setup. I'm sure Mr. Glesser could put out a product that could compete heavily with any of the newer straight razors that are on the marketplace.

There is a chain of stores that sell shaving gear and we had one here in Kansas City called "The Art of Shaving" which would be a great dealer to hook up with. Not sure why they closed their doors here in KC because they did a lot of business in the swank shopping district known as the Country Club Plaza.

I do think the overall trend is heading back in that direction however. Because the 3 major companies who make and sell disposable razors must have profit margins similar to the outrageous Pharmaceutical companies because they most certainly price gouge in similar fashion.
What? They closed in KCMO? I wonder why?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I am dangerous enough to my own safety with cartridge and a safety razor. God forbid me using a straight razor.
But I would love to see Spyderco undertake a straight razor project.
I would buy one from Spyderco just to own it.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You might like shaving with one a lot better and not cut yourself like you think you would. I've cut myself far more times with a safety razor than I ever have with a straight razor. I think I've only cut myself 4 times with a straight razor.

This new Spyderco razor that is going to be shown at Amsterdam is a superb razor. It looks good and holds an edge really well. I don't know what Spyderco set as the standard, but normally this one is around 62 HRC.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

You do need to be careful to lead with the spine of the razor when you're moving it around, but it's otherwise pretty hard to cut youself badly. I've managed to cut myself a couple times, but I could tell it was happening immediately and stopped before it even cut enough to bleed. It's hard to really hurt yourself if you're moving the blade slowly and not using pressure, which should be the case when shaving.

I'm surprised there's a prototype so fast. That's exciting.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Today, I used my S.K. Colling straight razor with some good Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap. I got a remarkable shave. My face felt smooth and hydrated.

I can't wait to see the pictures of the new Spyderco Straight Razor. I wonder what it will be called? I'm still hoping for Wild Cat.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Why Wild Cat, what does it mean to you?

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm back to growing my beard out and I'm not brave enough to shave my head with a straight razor but I'll be getting one of these just for the uniqueness of it. Might have to carry it in my boot like Beatrix in Kill Bill. Might save me from being buried alive someday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:34 am
Hi Doc,

Why Wild Cat, what does it mean to you?

sal
Your quote: "I boiled up a pan of water, lathered up and shaved. Obviously, I made a number of mistakes and with little pieces of paper stuck to my face, I attended the first day of the seminar. I'll never forget the line, but one of the attendees from Canada said; "What choo been doing sal, you look like you been trying to shove butter up a wild cat's *** with a hot ice pick"."

I laugh every time I think about this. I also thought it would be a good name for the razor.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I wonder who named it Wild Cat first? :winking-tongue :cheap-sunglasses :nerd
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

@Sal, how was the razor received in Amsterdam and etc? I know it is a small show, but curious, nevertheless.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

I haven't spoken with Eric in depth yet. He said reaction was mixed. I'll get more when I see him next week. He said they liked the point.

sal
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:44 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:01 am

What? They closed in KCMO? I wonder why?

Do you really wonder why ??!!

Procter & Gamble plans to close a large majority of the company’s 83 retail stores operated by the upscale Art of Shaving brand, citing a drastic decline in the popularity of some malls and changing consumer habits that include a growing preference for online shopping.

Their products are average at best, tremendously over rated and their prices are super high!

I am surprised it took this long!

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:29 am
not brave enough to shave my head with a straight razor
I really want to try but never head. My hair is pretty dense so I’m worried it’s just going to be a huge pain.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:21 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:29 am
not brave enough to shave my head with a straight razor
I really want to try but never head. My hair is pretty dense so I’m worried it’s just going to be a huge pain.
I've shaved the top of my head and some of the back with a straight razor and it was not a problem, at all. I'm sort of shy a few hairs up there so what is left I keep trimmed down.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:11 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 am
I must have watched to many western movies. Dry shaved? I have zero interest in this and dont want a barber in my face with that lethal weapon.

Cant remember, was it Hang em High when Clint Eastwood was getting a Shave?

Disposables last a few shaves and throw them in the trash when done
No one dry shaves and you do your own shaving. Besides, throwing plastic razors in the trash pollutes the land and our oceans. We are getting fat because we have all ingested microplastics from the trash we throw away. A straight razor (or double edged safety razor) shaves better and is far better for the environment. Plus, you don't get ingrown hairs, shaving bumps, and shaving irritation from a straight razor like you do from a disposable. That all sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Of course, I understand if it isn't what you want. Honestly, they scared me. But, I decided to try it as I knew some others who were a lot more klutzy than I am. I loved it. I've been hooked since. There is something meditative and calming about just you, the soap, and the razor, concentrating on one thing and thinking of nothing else for a few minutes.

The dry shave was in a movie or something when I was a kid, I remember that as some form of punishment.

Im lucky that I dont get any ingrown hairs or bumps when shaving with a disposable. I like and use the 4 blade ones for many shaves with a cheap can of Barbasol

This world is using to much plastic in everything including food and water and I believe thats why cancer is on the rise so I see your concern for plastic pollution. My wife and I recycle everything thing we can on trash day.

If Spyderco makes a straight razor, I will buy it. Maybe I will try it one time and add to my collection or convert me to a new way to shave. But that razor around my Adams Apple from a stranger or me will always scare me.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:45 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:11 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:15 am
I must have watched to many western movies. Dry shaved? I have zero interest in this and dont want a barber in my face with that lethal weapon.

Cant remember, was it Hang em High when Clint Eastwood was getting a Shave?

Disposables last a few shaves and throw them in the trash when done
No one dry shaves and you do your own shaving. Besides, throwing plastic razors in the trash pollutes the land and our oceans. We are getting fat because we have all ingested microplastics from the trash we throw away. A straight razor (or double edged safety razor) shaves better and is far better for the environment. Plus, you don't get ingrown hairs, shaving bumps, and shaving irritation from a straight razor like you do from a disposable. That all sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Of course, I understand if it isn't what you want. Honestly, they scared me. But, I decided to try it as I knew some others who were a lot more klutzy than I am. I loved it. I've been hooked since. There is something meditative and calming about just you, the soap, and the razor, concentrating on one thing and thinking of nothing else for a few minutes.

The dry shave was in a movie or something when I was a kid, I remember that as some form of punishment.

Im lucky that I dont get any ingrown hairs or bumps when shaving with a disposable. I like and use the 4 blade ones for many shaves with a cheap can of Barbasol

This world is using to much plastic in everything including food and water and I believe thats why cancer is on the rise so I see your concern for plastic pollution. My wife and I recycle everything thing we can on trash day.

If Spyderco makes a straight razor, I will buy it. Maybe I will try it one time and add to my collection or convert me to a new way to shave. But that razor around my Adams Apple from a stranger or me will always scare me.
I'll set up a ZOOM call with you and show you how to use it. You can get a good strop here https://www.ebay.com/str/dukecityvintageshaving without spending a bunch of money. Get one that has canvas/linen on one side and leather on the other.
Soap, you can try La Toja cream (Walmart has) to start out with. It is easy to lather and it is slick enough for a straight razor. Stirling is good, too.
For a brush, just get a Yaqi or Phoenix Artisan Accutraments https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/. That way you'll get a decent brush without spending a lot of money. (Don't use canned stuff. Not good enough).
I'll show you how to use it all.
When you get a straight razor, it might be sharp enough to shave, but I always send mine off to have them professionally done by a real razormeister.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050