Straight Razor from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Straight Razor from Spyderco

Post by Doc Dan »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:12 am
Very interested in this project Dan and you're results. And anyone who thinks there's controversy in sharpening knives has never hung out on a razor sharpening forum.
:rofl That's for sure!

I'll let you all know. I would be into it already but realized I needed to get some more sandpaper as I didn't want to take a chance on contaminating the balsa.

Two guys I respect love this method of edge maintenance. Edge maintenance is not foreign to Spyderco lovers. Steels like S110V and Maximet are better maintained than sharpened from dull. In the case of the razor, the idea is to keep a super keen edge. Some think this method makes the razor too sharp. If so, I can mellow it a bit with a strop and I like Feather blades in my shavettes and DE safety razors, so I think I'll get along well with this method.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

How about a curved razor like a red horse **** razor type?
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That much smile looks like a good way to get cut. It would also be hard to control in tight places.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jonnym

Post by jonnym »

So I gave this a try over the weekend!

I'm just an occasional straight razor shaver, generally on those weekends when I have some free time. I took a well-honed razor polished on a 12,000 grit naniwa water stone and further polished the edge on alder wood strops loaded with gunny juice all the way down to 0.1 micron. Then I shaved the right side of my face without stropping on leather. I ended up with bleeds all over. It was sharp as all heck, though -- the kind of sharp that just wipes the whiskers off -- but not all that comfortable.

I then gave the razor 10 or so strops on leather and shaved the left side. No bleeds and felt great.

Gunny juice is amazing stuff but next time I'd just take it to 1 micron followed by bare leather. And I'll skip re-honing, which was the idea to begin with.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I finally got my acrylic bases cut to size (12"x3"x .59" or 76.2mm W x 254mm L x 15mm) and I received my balsa wood plank 39" long x .39" thick. I also got some 400 grit sand paper. The next step is to cut the balsa to fit the acrylic bases and glue them together.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I cut the balsa wood to the same length and width as the acrylic bases, which I got cut also. I haven't peeled the protective paper off of the acrylic. I will do that when I get ready to glue them. It was a busy day and I didn't have time to glue anything, only cut the wood to size. Tomorrow I will glue the balsa to the bases. After that, I will sand the wood to make sure it is flat.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

rangefinder wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm
I've had a beard for decades, so it's not something I'd be interested in. But if Spyderco ever makes a cigar cutter, I'd buy that.
Cigar Cutter is flooded with hood, bad, and junk cutters.

If you like a Punch check out PerfecPunch/Stand great 3 size punch.

If you like Straight Cutter, Cuban Crafter Perfect Cutter is best thing going.

If you like a V-Cutter, Colibre is number one. Think I blew spelling.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

akapennypincher wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:30 am
rangefinder wrote:
I've had a beard for decades, so it's not something I'd be interested in. But if Spyderco ever makes a cigar cutter, I'd buy that.

A spyderco cigar cutter would be awesome!
:bug-red-white
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:19 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
rangefinder wrote:

Isn't that what the swell on the back end of the military is for? I used to do this all the time with cigars. Even have a fancy CF/S90V one.

:usflag :bug-red-white
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:19 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
rangefinder wrote:

My point is simple as to building great Spyderco Cigar Cutter. How many would sell.

Plus before you produce One for sale, what would R &D, Protypes. Bata units to test cost.

Think return would not justify the cost of building a Spyderco Cigar Cutter.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay, back to the subject of straight razors.

Here, I peeled off the protective paper from the acrylic bases and glued the balsa to them. They are drying upside down so the pressure will keep the boards from warping.

Once they were dry, I laid out a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper, dry (water will soak into balsa and ruin it), onto the table. I ran the balsa over the sand paper until I was certain any high spots were smoothed out.

I added a little bit of diamond paste, starting with 0.1um on the first. I then smeared it with my finger, and then using a clean rag I rubbed it in up and down the board until the board was covered. It is so fine the only way I could see it was from some discoloration on the cloth. I put that cloth in a bag along with the diamond paste. Then I washed my hands and fingers really good. This was to prevent any cross contamination of grits.

Once my hands were dried, I did the same thing to the 0.25 um and the 0.5 um. I made sure to not cross contaminate. That will ruin the edge and keep the stropping from giving a good edge. I wrote the sizes on the ends of the boards as I prepared them.

When that was finished, I set out the 0.5 um strop and made 10 up and back strops. I did 10 away and 10 towards me, the edge trailing. Then, I slid the razor sideways off of the strop on both sides to remove any wire edge. I used no pressure except the weight of the razor.

I didn't do the free hanging strop as the last step as I was just getting a feel for this.

Here I am stropping away from myself, edge trailing, starting nearest myself and moving away.

Here, I am making the stropping strokes towards myself. My hands are only providing stability, not pressure.

When I finished, I did 30 full back and forth strops on clean leather.

I'll post more later.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:12 am
Very interested in this project Dan and you're results. And anyone who thinks there's controversy in sharpening knives has never hung out on a razor sharpening forum.
See my post just above this.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jonnym wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:45 pm
So I gave this a try over the weekend!

I'm just an occasional straight razor shaver, generally on those weekends when I have some free time. I took a well-honed razor polished on a 12,000 grit naniwa water stone and further polished the edge on alder wood strops loaded with gunny juice all the way down to 0.1 micron. Then I shaved the right side of my face without stropping on leather. I ended up with bleeds all over. It was sharp as all heck, though -- the kind of sharp that just wipes the whiskers off -- but not all that comfortable.

I then gave the razor 10 or so strops on leather and shaved the left side. No bleeds and felt great.

Gunny juice is amazing stuff but next time I'd just take it to 1 micron followed by bare leather. And I'll skip re-honing, which was the idea to begin with.
This is what I was told to do. The Method, you know. Take it to a clean, unpasted leather strop afterwards and that softens things up. Apparently, this will keep us from having to hone a razor ever again.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! That's all I can say. Wow!

Just that one stropping session made a huge difference in my shave, today. I am going slow and not stropping as much as is normally suggested so that I don't make a mistake. I did the same stropping today after my shave and it should be a touch sharper tomorrow. If I got that right I will do more, and then add the free hanging.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for the info Dan, this is potentially really good news. Did you get the Balsa from a craft supply or wood supply shop?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:28 am
Thanks for the info Dan, this is potentially really good news. Did you get the Balsa from a craft supply or wood supply shop?
Art and craft store. I got the acrylic from an acrylic dealer that cuts to size requested. The board was 10mm thick and 39 inches long. I just measured and cut out the planks. Balsa is super easy to cut. I just used one of those exacto/art knives with the replaceable blades. (I did wear a cut proof glove on my off hand)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Saturday is my face's sabbath, unless I am going out with my wife. So, I took my razor through the full progression of 60 laps on the .5um diamond pasted balsa strop and ten X laps while holding the strop in my hand. I did the same for the .25um and then the 0.1um. I finished with 30 laps on free hanging strop 0.1um. I will strop it 50 times on a clean leather strop before shaving in the morning and we will really see what this can do.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is my kit for today after stropping 40 times on a hanging plain leather strop. Awesome shave! It was so close and smooth.

I'll post pictures or vids later.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is a good educational video on How To.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Flash

Post by Flash »

I first started DE shaving 4 years ago and it was a revelation. I will never look back to cartridge / disposable shaving ever again but I’ve always wanted to try my hand at straight razor shaving.

If Spyderco were to bring out a SR then I would almost certainly buy it. I already own various shaving brushes, multiple strops and high grit stones …so I’ve already justified the purchase in my mind. ;)

I think the good corrosion resistance, ease of edge maintenance and small carbide structure of AEB-L (and 14C28N) would lend itself really well to a high quality straight razor without breaking the bank.