BBS Delica M390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

BBS Delica M390

Post by gull wing »

The Bento Box Shop Dark Blue M390 Delica.
Is it made in Japan, like the other Delicas?
If you have one, how do you like it? Does it perform like your other M390 knives?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
GJMcD

Re: BBS Delica M390

Post by GJMcD »

It is indeed made in Japan, and I’ve found the steel to sharpen and hold an edge just like my Para 3. Glides through tough cuts nicely with that thinner blade stock as well.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Yes it is...

BBS M390.jpg
I'd be interested to know how this knife is performing as well, as it on my list to obtain this year.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
benben

Post by benben »

I've been eyeing it myself! Good looking Delica!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yes, all Delicas are made in Japan. There was a thread on it, and I think it got a lot of positive feedback. I liked mine very much, although I sold it to fund another purchase.

viewtopic.php?t=83957
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Love the BBS M390 Delica. To me it is the best Delica made to date. Bought a second one as a back-up. Of course I'm not biased.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank you.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Love mine, perfect out of the box, good edge retention. Had it Rockwell tested a while back - 61.8
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've had a lot of Delicas, and I gotta say this one is my favorite edition.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Finally got my BBS Delica M390 today.

Can someone with the same knife tell me if they have same or similar pattern inside the hole:

Seems like a good spot to develop rust.

Thinking of sanding it with a fine sand paper (please suggest grit if anyone has done this).

Knife is a little gritty when opening/closing, will open it up, inspect where it's coming from and oil everything.
phaust

Post by phaust »

^If you want it perfectly smooth, judging off the picture you're better off starting pretty low grit and moving up. If you just want to make it a bit shiny to cut down some on rust and have a Dremel, the small felt wheel should fit in there, so you could just put some compound on that and run it inside.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Pantagana23,

Yes, mine has the exact same finish inside the thumb hole. It has never been an issue in any way, including any corrosion issues. I've had mine since the first week they were released, so for a while now, too.

FWIW, the little GITD Jester I got a month or so ago now also has that "finish" in it's thumb hole...

I've never looked at the finish INSIDE any of the thumb holes in any my Spydies until your post, lol. Makes me wonder how many of mine are similar?

In fairness, and honestly, after decades of successfully and happily using Spydies globally, that is not on my list of "cares", in regards to the knives.

u.w.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Thank you both, my heart slowed down a bit now.

Must be the way they have to drill the hole through M390/20CV due to the steel properties.

I will not sand it down if it doesn't present a corrosion issue.

Expect this to be my long term EDC for the time being, after almost 15 years of trying to find "the one" carry.

Still not sure if I'll sell everything else I have, might change my mind in 2 weeks :squinting-tongue
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I just wish another distributor or retailer could offer that combo. The BB blue M390 Delica cost over 35% more than the 20CV DLT Zome Delica (effectively the same knife except with fugly Zome), and for a while they wouldn't let you buy it by itself, to get the Delica you had to buy a package deal with another overpriced exclusive.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:07 pm
I just wish another distributor or retailer could offer that combo. The BB blue M390 Delica cost over 35% more than the 20CV DLT Zome Delica (effectively the same knife except with fugly Zome), and for a while they wouldn't let you buy it by itself, to get the Delica you had to buy a package deal with another overpriced exclusive.
Depends what you want.
IMO the M390 is the king of all around steel, being good with both edge retention and corrosion resistance. The fact that it was the pioneer of the three (M390, 20CV and 204P), plus the tests I've seen with it, made me want it even more.
Also, Delica is the only model from my collection I find so ugly so I'm not reluctant to use it. Most of my other knives are like glass maidens - I look at them, flick them, cut eventual paper to be fascinated like a cat with laser beam, but would not use them as they're either too soft or too corrosion susceptible, or just too **** beautiful.

Just my 2 cents
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the Delica. It is my favorite knife in the size range made by any company. I even like it better than the Caly3 and that is saying something since I love that knife. I have the Knifeworks 204P version and I cannot comprehend the price BBS is asking for that knife. Mine was less than $100, and I think less than $90.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:07 pm
Depends what you want.
IMO the M390 is the king of all around steel, being good with both edge retention and corrosion resistance. The fact that it was the pioneer of the three (M390, 20CV and 204P), plus the tests I've seen with it, made me want it even more.
Also, Delica is the only model from my collection I find so ugly so I'm not reluctant to use it. Most of my other knives are like glass maidens - I look at them, flick them, cut eventual paper to be fascinated like a cat with laser beam, but would not use them as they're either too soft or too corrosion susceptible, or just too **** beautiful.

Just my 2 cents
I agree that M390/20CV/204P are some of the top choices for folders, I've just never seen any testing or evidence that suggests there is even the smallest difference in performance between the three. Given that the steels are identical for all purposes other than marketing, the only difference between the BB and the DLT exclusives are the scale colors, the engraving on the blade, and the 35% price difference.

I do like the BB version, that's why I wish other more reasonable entitys could offer the combo. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for buying it, and I considered doing so myself, but the company turns me off.

There have been a couple of Spyderco M390 exclusives coming out lately, fingers crossed for a Delica!
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I have a BBS M390 Delica. As well as a Cruwear Delica, LC200N Delica (Salt 2), K390 Delica, a few dragonflies, a smock, etc.

I reach for the M390 everyday. Even the days where I try to force myself to use another, I end up swapping it at some point. It's awesome. I've had it 3 months and haven't had to sharpen it yet. I do light cardboard (the K390 hangs in garage and is the major cardboard cutter), bags/packages, gardening tasks, etc. It's low worry because of edge retention and corrosion resistance. Don't really worry about chipping it.

My spyderhole has the same machine marks. Hadn't noticed before. No rust on it.

All this said, I would buy a Magnacut Delica the day it comes out and probably never look back.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

The BBS Delica was $108.95 when it was released. That was at the MAP price, but BBS typically raises the prices on their stuff after a while or presumably when it starts to get low inventory.
--Jeremy
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:55 am
I have a BBS M390 Delica. As well as a Cruwear Delica, LC200N Delica (Salt 2), K390 Delica, a few dragonflies, a smock, etc.

I reach for the M390 everyday. Even the days where I try to force myself to use another, I end up swapping it at some point. It's awesome. I've had it 3 months and haven't had to sharpen it yet. I do light cardboard (the K390 hangs in garage and is the major cardboard cutter), bags/packages, gardening tasks, etc. It's low worry because of edge retention and corrosion resistance. Don't really worry about chipping it.

My spyderhole has the same machine marks. Hadn't noticed before. No rust on it.

All this said, I would buy a Magnacut Delica the day it comes out and probably never look back.
This is what I'm talking about.
The master of all :cheap-sunglasses

Edit: I think I'll have to lay off the forum for some time, bought more knives in the last year than in 5 years before that.

Cheers all!