Got a favorite ax? Post ‘em up!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
VashHash

Re: Got a favorite ax? Post ‘em up!

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:44 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm
My wonderful wife gave me this Gransfors Bruk Scandinavian Forest Axe for Christmas. It's by far the best axe I have ever used! I've had a lot of fun with it so far.
Keep us posted as to how you like that Grandfors Bruks ax because I would love to have one myself. But with the prices they charge for their axes, mauls and hatchets I've got to know that I'm getting the very best for those lofty prices.

I have heard that their splitting mauls are second to none. Although I've got a couple of the older "Collins" mauls that I would love to put up against them.

There is just something interesting about all the Swedish made axes I've looked at over the years. It's more than interesting that Grandfors Bruks has gained the popularity that they have with a tool that many have declared antiquated.
I also "pine" after a gransfors axe. I just don't do enough chopping and I'm more into axe throwing. I have 3 older American made double bits that I throw. I have a finnish made Fiskars splitting axe that I abuse for chopping.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:44 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm
My wonderful wife gave me this Gransfors Bruk Scandinavian Forest Axe for Christmas. It's by far the best axe I have ever used! I've had a lot of fun with it so far.
Keep us posted as to how you like that Grandfors Bruks ax because I would love to have one myself. But with the prices they charge for their axes, mauls and hatchets I've got to know that I'm getting the very best for those lofty prices.

I have heard that their splitting mauls are second to none. Although I've got a couple of the older "Collins" mauls that I would love to put up against them.

There is just something interesting about all the Swedish made axes I've looked at over the years. It's more than interesting that Grandfors Bruks has gained the popularity that they have with a tool that many have declared antiquated.
I also "pine" after a gransfors axe. I just don't do enough chopping and I'm more into axe throwing. I have 3 older American made double bits that I throw. I have a finnish made Fiskars splitting axe that I abuse for chopping.
Well VASH that is interesting that I keep seeing those FISKAR axes and hatchets continually show up. And it's usually guys that are into knives that tend to like them as well. I may just have to break down and get one. Our local ACE hardware has the FISKARS ax and hatchet both and one of the guys there tells me that they sell quite a few of them throughout a given year.

So many of the old mainline companies that were known for making high quality axes, hatchets and mauls are mostly made in 3rd world countries now and don't exhibit the same quality that they used to. Collins being a huge example of what I just said. The only USA stuff they have at this time is their high quality competition axes. And that's a shame too.

Now I do continue to hear good things about Council Tool and their axes. I just wonder how much longer they'll be able to compete here in the USA ??
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD I only grabbed it because it was made in Finland and it was $10. It must have been in walmart for years just collecting dust because the exposed side had rust on it. I picked up my double bits axes from a hardware store that was closing out. I'll have to see who made them but they're USA. I don't buy Chinese axes. Unfortunately fiskars makes most of them in China now I think. But for the price I've heard good things about fiskars too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 am
JD I only grabbed it because it was made in Finland and it was $10. It must have been in walmart for years just collecting dust because the exposed side had rust on it. I picked up my double bits axes from a hardware store that was closing out. I'll have to see who made them but they're USA. I don't buy Chinese axes. Unfortunately fiskars makes most of them in China now I think. But for the price I've heard good things about fiskars too.
Yeah I did notice that it was made in one of the Scandinavian countries>> and I'm beginning to believe that they take their axes more seriously than we do here in the USA. Isn't FISKARS owned by Gerber or is it the other way around? It doesn't really matter as long as it is quality built.

My mother did professional type sewing and alterations and she always insisted on having "FISKAR's" scissors. And she bought the really high quality scissors too. They have a good name overall. Not sure what all else they are into.

I keep holding out hope that I'll find one of their axes at one of our local thrift stores. Where I just found a super high quality, German made F. Dick sharpening steel ( worth about $160 new) for $3.99. It blows me away at what items you can find at those thrift stores in the past two to three years.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah I think those countries take them seriously because they've been chopping wood since before America was discovered by the western world. Gotta stay warm up there. I also have some Finnish made fiskars scissors and they are really good. I have some USA made fiskars scissors at my desk too that are very good as well.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:34 pm
Yeah, Fiskars splitting axe
But, my favorite is the Fiskars Super Splitter/ Go-Devil or technically the 8 pound maul
They both work so dang well.
Fiskars is what I would suggest JD.
I am just smitten with their stuff.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Careful, the vintage ax rabbit hole is deep and winding! Especially the artisan refurb guys. You may not resurface :D

There are only a handful of American companies making good axes anymore. Council, Snow & Neally, don’t know if Barco still makes and sells the Kelly name. None compare to the vintage heads in terms of finish and aesthetics IMO.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, another year has passed, and I got another REI Dividend + 20% off coupon. They're calling it a Member Benefit, rather than a Dividend, this year because they didn't actually turn a profit, but it's still 10% back on most of your purchases. It was either a Benchmade 940 or another Hults Bruk, and they didn't have an aluminum model so I've got a 16" Almike hatchet heading my way with only $40 out of my pocket - calling that a win.

I wanted something a bit smaller than the Kisa for finer camp work, mostly limbing, kindling splitting, and maybe some carving.

Does anyone have a good source for hatchet belt sheaths they like?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.