Brouwer Clip Placement - 2020 Catalog

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cscottsss

Re: Brouwer Clip Placement - 2020 Catalog

Post by Cscottsss »

soulspy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 am
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:32 am
I want to get one of these but I really just can't get past the green scale color.
There is a flytanium copper and a Ti scale that replaces the green side.
Sure, but I was referring to the factory scale. I don't like it that much to spend the $ on an aftermarket Flytanium scale.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:49 am
soulspy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 am
Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:32 am
I want to get one of these but I really just can't get past the green scale color.
There is a flytanium copper and a Ti scale that replaces the green side.
Sure, but I was referring to the factory scale. I don't like it that much to spend the $ on an aftermarket Flytanium scale.
You could probably Rit die it black. It a great little knife.
tmc15117xx

Post by tmc15117xx »

Any idea when the CQI version of the Spyserco brouwer is actually comming out!!! Also, why did Spyderco postion the pocket clip like the CQI version in the first place!!!
tmc15117xx

Post by tmc15117xx »

The new Spyderco Brouwer CQI verson has the pocket clip that's set up a lot better for deep carry with a lot less of the handle sticking out of your pocket than the original Brouwer, but the new CQI Brouwer has that same ugly/long stock Spyderco clip and it's now placed at a weird/annoying canted angle. From the beginning the Spyderco Brouwer should have never had a lanyard tune/hole on it and Spyderco should definitely have used a deep carry wire pocket clip for the Brouwer!!!!!!! The new CQI version of the Spyderco Brouwer still has that akward placed lanyard hole/tube and is really unimpressive!!! In my personal opinon the Brouwer CQI version has the absolute worst C.Q.I.(Constant Quality Improvement) that Spyderco has ever made/released on a knife!!!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ It's unclear to me from your two posts, tmc.. do you actually have a Brouwer?

I have the original, non-CQI model. I'm not a huge fan of the clip placement from an aesthetic and carry-ability standpoint, but appreciate it for its ergonomics. The placement allows bulkiest part of the clip to fill the depression in the center of the palm rather than contacting and creating hotspots on the outer edge. I did end up putting an MXG Gear clip on mine to get a deeper carry, but the original clip is admittedly quite comfortable in use. Without actually handling the CQI version, my guess is that the "weird/annoying canted angle" on the CQI placement is to allow for a slightly deeper carry (to appease the angry hordes), while maintaining as the best ergos possible.. canting the clip likely allows it to fit better in the depression of the palm, reducing hotspots, and also keeps it off of the lock bar.. something else that people seem to get really worked up about..

Personally, I agree with you about the lanyard hole.. lanyards are not my preference and I don't think a lanyard hole is necessary on the Brouwer. Freeing up that space in the design would allow for a "straighter" and deeper-carry clip. As you say, I think the Brouwer would be a great candidate for a wire clip, but it is my understanding that Spyderco will defer to the designer on many things.. Jerry Brouwer's Flanker design, on which the Spyderco Brouwer is based, had a lanyard hole, so my guess is that's why it is how it is. And I've heard that a lot of people in general really like lanyards.. who knew?! Spyderco doesn't just throw clips on knives.. there is a lot of thought and planning that goes into things that we may find trivial. I'm sure the CQI Brouwer clip is the result of hundreds of hours of testing and data collecting and decision making. Idk, I guess not every decision will appease every customer..

My advice to you would be, if you're at all interested in the knife, buy a Brouwer.. it is fantastic in so many ways. If you can't get past the standard spoon clip.. there are aftermarket clips that may be more to your liking.. MXG Gear has several good ones. And if you can't get past the clip placement.. you're missing out on a great knife ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..