SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Re: SpyderEdge 2020 (A Personal "Challenge")

Post by Sonorum »

I like a leaf shape blade with a serrated edge better than a hawkbill because it lessens the tendency to snag. I feel like the teeth slide over better which allows for an aggressive cut instead of a pull. Don't get me wrong, my Byrd Hawkbill is fantastic for what it's good at but the Endela SE is more if a turbo all-rounder.
/ David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:14 pm
I like a leaf shape blade with a serrated edge better than a hawkbill because it lessens the tendency to snag. I feel like the teeth slide over better which allows for an aggressive cut instead of a pull. Don't get me wrong, my Byrd Hawkbill is fantastic for what it's good at but the Endela SE is more if a turbo all-rounder.

As much as I'm enjoying the SE hawkbill (saber ground), I'm wanting to try out a FFG/high hollow grind SE blade. Currently leaning towards a Native salt, but still undecided.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:07 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:39 am
Now with a Hawkbill blade the only thing that makes any sense at all is a serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbill. There are so many more cutting jobs you can do with a serrated Hawkbill than you can do with a plain edged Hawkbill. I can't even remember the last time I even used one of my PE Hawkbill blades.

I think that all of the blades with curve in them should be available in SE. Why Spyderco doesn't do recurves in SE has baffled me for some time. Because just look at how much better the Matriarch and Civilian models are in SE. It's not even close with all things considered.
I see what you're saying about hawkbills and SE, but I wouldn't mind seeing a PE hawkbill in some modern high carbide steel like K390 or CPM REX 45.
You know I have thought about that myself to make a PE Hawkbill in some supersteel in a full flat grind. I've had threads on the uses of Hawkbills to hopefully try to learn what people find PE Hawkbill blades useful for>> but very few people chimed in :confused: . There are a lot of people that will only buy and use Plain Edged blades without even any consideration for serrated edges at all.

It makes me wonder if people are not jaded because of some bad experience that they have had with a cheap, lousy serrated blade that they might have got at Rip-Mart or some sleazy flea market. Because I doubt if many people would be down on Spyderedges if they ever game them a chance.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:21 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:07 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:39 am
Now with a Hawkbill blade the only thing that makes any sense at all is a serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbill. There are so many more cutting jobs you can do with a serrated Hawkbill than you can do with a plain edged Hawkbill. I can't even remember the last time I even used one of my PE Hawkbill blades.

I think that all of the blades with curve in them should be available in SE. Why Spyderco doesn't do recurves in SE has baffled me for some time. Because just look at how much better the Matriarch and Civilian models are in SE. It's not even close with all things considered.
I see what you're saying about hawkbills and SE, but I wouldn't mind seeing a PE hawkbill in some modern high carbide steel like K390 or CPM REX 45.
You know I have thought about that myself to make a PE Hawkbill in some supersteel in a full flat grind. I've had threads on the uses of Hawkbills to hopefully try to learn what people find PE Hawkbill blades useful for>> but very few people chimed in :confused: . There are a lot of people that will only buy and use Plain Edged blades without even any consideration for serrated edges at all.

It makes me wonder if people are not jaded because of some bad experience that they have had with a cheap, lousy serrated blade that they might have got at Rip-Mart or some sleazy flea market. Because I doubt if many people would be down on Spyderedges if they ever game them a chance.
A FFG PE hawkbill would probably work a bit similar to one of those FFG ‘hawkbill’ linoleum knives.

Jim
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:48 pm
Sonorum wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:14 pm

As much as I'm enjoying the SE hawkbill (saber ground), I'm wanting to try out a FFG/high hollow grind SE blade. Currently leaning towards a Native salt, but still undecided.
I personally like a bit longer edge for the SE to allow it to slide over material and work the teeth. Other than that, the Native is one of my favourite knives!
/ David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

It's been about two months since I started this challenge, and I'm glad I did. :)

Sharp serrations rock. They rock hard. :cool:

Here's a video of my newest addition, the Ladybug Salt hawkbill. It performed really well considering how small it is. As shown in the video, hawkbills don't do well when cutting on a flat surface, but they can get the job done.

The knife could've been a bit sharper, but I wanted make the video with the factory edge. It does still slice phone book paper, but could be better.

https://youtu.be/jJV3k1pp28U
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:27 am
I personally like a bit longer edge for the SE to allow it to slide over material and work the teeth. Other than that, the Native is one of my favourite knives!

I've decided that the Endura wharncliffe will be next on the list.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like the vid. :cool: Powerful little knife.

You will love the wharnie Endura. Here’s a pic or two to wet your appetite.

- best wishes, Jazz.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 pm
I like the vid. :cool: Powerful little knife.

You will love the wharnie Endura. Here’s a pic or two to wet your appetite.

Thanks Jazz!

That Endura looks like its just aching to cut something ;) .
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Just got this the other day, figured I had better get one while I still can.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:47 am

It has been years since I carried a Para 2 but I've been thinking the same thing. There are a lot of models from ~10 years ago that I passed over because I didn't understand SE that I now wish I had. I think this will be one of those in the future.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm
Ankerson wrote:

It has been years since I carried a Para 2 but I've been thinking the same thing. There are a lot of models from ~10 years ago that I passed over because I didn't understand SE that I now wish I had. I think this will be one of those in the future.

That's one reason why I plan to get a wharncliffe Endura. Who knows if/when they'll be discontinued, and I really want one of the knives born of Jazz's thread. Not to mention I really like wharncliffes :)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:09 pm

That's one reason why I plan to get a wharncliffe Endura. Who knows if/when they'll be discontinued, and I really want one of the knives born of Jazz's thread. Not to mention I really like wharncliffes :)

I really don't love the Endura handle but that wharnie version is a monster of a knife, I will definitely be getting one (maybe a couple) eventually.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm
Ankerson wrote:

I waited too long and missed out on the serriated Militrary, didn't want to make the same mistake and miss out on the PM2.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:50 pm
Here's a video of my newest addition, the Ladybug Salt hawkbill.
Hey Peace, Nice video! Looks like your enjoying the little knife. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I cut cardboard at work with the wharnie Endura today. It’s scary. Especially since I made mine a tad pointier.

These are some fierce cutters too...

3D - cross eyes
- best wishes, Jazz.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:50 pm
Here's a video of my newest addition, the Ladybug Salt hawkbill.
Hey Peace, Nice video! Looks like your enjoying the little knife. :cool:

Thanks Bloke! I didn't think I'd like this tiny knife as much as I do. After seeing yours so often, I decided to give it a try :)

Jazz wrote: I cut cardboard at work with the wharnie Endura today. It’s scary. Especially since I made mine a tad pointier.

These are some fierce cutters too...

Wow! That tip is quite a bit pointier. I like it!
Those 3D pics are really neat. Is that from an app?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I just took two pics eye width apart, and put them together in a photo app.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

This beast just arrived in my mailbox:

Such an awesome blade! I've been super impressed with the Endura platform since about this time last year when I received my first Endura, the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive HAP40 Zome.

I'm really looking forward to testing as this is my first FFG SE blade, and so far my only experience with SE is with saber grinds. This particular knife ticks alot of boxes for me, so my expectations are a bit high.

At this point, if I was told that I could never again carry a PE pocket knife, i wouldn't complain. There are certain cutting scenarios where a PE is a better option (though not impossible with a SE), but those generally consist of hunting, fishing, wood carving, etc. However, my experience has demonstrated that a sharp SE can do just about anything, and normal everyday cutting tasks are accomplished exceptionally well.

This "challenge" has been easier than expected so far, and I'm glad I took the plunge.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice, bro. Doesn’t it just feel like you want to be careful with it, but also cut the heck out of something? Let us know how you like it after use.
- best wishes, Jazz.