Z-Cut cuts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark greenman

Re: Z-Cut cuts

Post by mark greenman »

I love the Z-Cut. Perfect general purpose utility knife in the kitchen, and a phenomenal value.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We use these as steak knives more often than anything else. I think my wife still prefers a chef's knife for most slicing and dicing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

skinned, deboned & cut a couple chicken thighs, then cut up some sausage, ham and onion for loaded mac.
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I regret not getting the pointy serrated version now. A tip feels very necessary for me in the kitchen.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’m a fan of the zcut for certain kitchen tasks. Like any kitchen knife, it’s great for some things and not so great for others - the thinness of the blade makes it super slicey, but at the same time it deflects in apples/potatoes etc.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm
I’m a fan of the zcut for certain kitchen tasks. Like any kitchen knife, it’s great for some things and not so great for others - the thinness of the blade makes it super slicey, but at the same time it deflects in apples/potatoes etc.
Deflects? How? I use them on apples and potatoes all of the time, plus onions, celery, cauliflower, and pretty much everything. Of course, it might be the differences in our methods. I use a slicing motion instead of forcing the blade straight through things. I'm not saying you don't do this, as well. I'm just saying that is how I do it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have all four styles and by the end of the day they are all in the dishwasher so they definitely get a ton of use. Mainly by my wife for cutting up things for the kids. I still use an 8" Chef's knife for 99% of my prep work in the kitchen. I grab a Z-cut for the other 1% of random tasks like cutting tomatoes or grapes. I could live with just an 8" Chef's and pointy serrated Z-cut if I had to pick 2 kitchen knives.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red