Still wishing for a Chaparral XL / Endela "thin edition" / or something along that lines

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Still wishing for a Chaparral XL / Endela "thin edition" / or something along that lines

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:05 am
I've always felt that the Endela should have been introduced with the thin blade stock of the Delica from the get-go. I'd love to see this idea get some traction.

l love the Endela platform, especially in SE, it is almost perfect for a knife in that size range!

But one of two things that could even be better for me exactly IS that it did carry over the bladestock from the Endura (3 mm) and not the Delica (2.5 mm).
(Generally I think the Endela is like 90 % Endura and just 10% Delica - which is just an observation, not saying it´s a bad thing).

(The other thing is: I´d wish for a better edge to handle ration on the Endela:
Either by bringing the blade as close to the 3.5" limit as possible and perhaps shortening the ricasso/kick a tad, which would add around 2 or 3 more mm of cutting edge.
Or make keep the current blade an make the handle slightly more compact).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Flash

Re: Still wishing for a Chaparral XL / Endela "thin edition" / or something along that lines

Post by Flash »

Yes please.

The Chaparral XL sounds like a crazy good idea. We need more 2mm stock knives. I’ve Certainly not reached any limits of what a 2mm stock knife can do yet.

I’d likely buy one of these even in a less-than-preferable CTS-XHP / FRN that my current Chaparral wears.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Necrothread!!!

I have been using the new Catcherman in the kitchen, and Thin For The Win!

Endela thin is a good idea for me, I like more blade first, more handle and then less choil.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Necrothread!!!

I have been using the new Catcherman in the kitchen, and Thin For The Win!

Endela thin is a good idea for me, I like more blade first, more handle and then less choil.

"Necrothread" perhaps when looking at the date when I started it..;)
But it got resurrected three times already (admittedly the second time by myself cause a "Chap XL" got discussed in the Catcherman thread and I thought continuing here and not derailing the other thread would be better).

To me a 2mm bladestock endela-ish knife would be great, but actually still only the second best option. Unless it got most of the other Chap characteristics too (thin, but supersturdy handle, solid built, lock lock free backlock with internal stop pin).

And actually the Endela-ricasso is as wide (= sacrifices as much edge length) as the blade part of the Chaparral choil! (in both the edge length is 11 mm shorter than the actualy blade length).
So the "no choil" design of the Endela would not really offer more cutting edge than the choil design of a larger Chap.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This is a great thread to keep current. I think The Wartstein has an excellent idea here!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I reiterate but I'm totally here for any Chaparral size variation, especially if we go towards bigger !
I wouldn't be much interested in the Endela. I loved the SE blade but I really have trouble with how much lock rock I get from factory on this family of knives. I must be unlucky but out of 4 Del/Endela/Endura only 1 isn't making noise by simply shaking the knife :grin-sweat

I'd love a 3.25 to 3.75" Chap !!!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
olywa

Post by olywa »

Count me in on the Chappy XL. It's a great idea and I hope it gets some legs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 am
I wouldn't be much interested in the Endela. I loved the SE blade but I really have trouble with how much lock rock I get from factory on this family of knives. I must be unlucky but out of 4 Del/Endela/Endura only 1 isn't making noise by simply shaking the knife :grin-sweat

Yes, the Endela offers really, really good serrations.
But still, like you, I´d also prefer a true Chap for a bigger "thin" knife - so everything the same, just elongated to about Endela size

/ And yes, you REALLY must be unlucky indeed! I have/had a lot of Seki backlocks, and while some have a bit lock rock, I never experienced what you are describing here ("making noise by simply shaking...")
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

I would definitely buy the chap xl, as described by Wartstein.