Your "return ethics"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Your "return ethics"?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:21 pm
dsvirsky wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:03 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:35 am
If it has a CC number, it goes back.

Otherwise, I've never returned a knife.
If you don't mind my asking, "Why?"
It's like if your chick had some other guys name tattooed on her. Not gonna happen!

It feels like it's someone else's knife.
I agree 100%
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lol since you had to go there.... most chicks were someone else's first. I am good with used knives ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
If it has a CC number, it goes back.

Otherwise, I've never returned a knife.
If you don't mind my asking, "Why?"
It's like if your chick had some other guys name tattooed on her. Not gonna happen!

It feels like it's someone else's knife.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
I agree 100%
Guys,just to make sure I got this right and out of interest:

You literally mean, if you receive a knife that looks absolutely new, like from the factory, is not used whatsoever, but you know or assume another customer briefly has held it in hand already: That would be a problem for you? And hinder that it becomes "your" knife? Even since ANY knife you buy has been "touched " by other persons anyway (when being quality controlled and packed in the factory)?

Don´t get me wrong, of course it´s ok if you feel like this. I myself (and most on this forum) have a "relation" to knives that extends beyond pure rationality and is sure a bit "emotional", but I still literally expect that a knife I order online could be a return item, and as soon as it looks new and has no real flaws, that does not bother me at all.

But again, to each their own!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We're referring to the collectors club members having their specific ID numbers stamped on their blades. We don't want one of those knives. Like RadioActiveSpyder...you see his posts with his knives, all his blades have "087" I believe the number is?? That's his specific collectors club number.

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:34 pm
We're referring to the collectors club members having their specific ID numbers stamped on their blades. We don't want one of those knives. Like RadioActiveSpyder...you see his posts with his knives, all his blades have "087" I believe the number is?? That's his specific collectors club number.
Thanks a lot for clarifying! Got that totally wrong... :o
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:34 pm
Thanks a lot for clarifying! Got that totally wrong... :o
Haha, not a problem! Had a feeling you weren't understanding :p

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Exactly. Somebody else's "name" is on it.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve never returned a knife. If I were to I certainly wouldn’t make any adjustments nor cut anything at all with it. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:03 pm
I’ve never returned a knife. If I were to I certainly wouldn’t make any adjustments nor cut anything at all with it. :)
Yep, that would be an absolute no go. In fact anything other than opening/closing the knife one or two times and briefly just holding it would be too much when it comes to potentially returning it.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My "return ethics" are simple: if it has a defect in material or workmanship that should be addressed under warranty, it goes back to the manufacturer. If it is not as advertised (fake/counterfeit, not the specified model or some such) it goes back to the seller to make right. Otherwise, it is mine whether I like it or not. My "local" knife shop is 180 miles away, so I seldom get to try before I buy, but returning something that isn't defective and is the item I ordered is out of the question.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I couldn't care less if I receive a knife that's been disassembled. I can tell in about 10 seconds whether everything is kosher or not. Even a light scratch or 2 wouldn't phase me.

Maybe one day if I become a collector things will change. But I've never caught that bug. I've never owned more than 10 knives at any given moment. They all get used, they all eventually get battle scars.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 am

I've never owned more than 10 knives at any given moment. They all get used, they all eventually get battle scars.
That's 100% like it is with me and my Spydies... even the number of max. owning ten at any given moment... :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Think there is no ethical dilemma here if you are following the return policy. Maybe there is a restocking fee. Maybe you just get credit. It’s fine. Return or don’t. But yes, return it in unused condition. I tersely return stuff because I’m just lazy and not strapped for cash.
Some businesses just expect returns. And some people just use these services regularly. I’m currently working on my house and my contractor friends all tell me to buy more than you need and return it. It slows you down if you are missing those screws you need or the last sheet of plywood. Returns are expected and not a big deal.