Manix 2 XL blade play

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Manix 2 XL blade play

Post by Pancake »

So, this one is on the wishlist. But when I was finding some info I came up on information, that this model has sometimes side blade play. Apparently the construction is not the same as a regular Manix and the screw placement is different.
XL doesn't have screw above the pivot area - only a pin and that could create some side to side play.
So for folks that have one, do you have play? Or am I worrying about nothing?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Manix 2 XL blade play

Post by Doc Dan »

I have handled a new one back a few years ago that had noticeable side to side blade play.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Mine wasn't bad. Extremely small amount.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine has been used to chop and baton wood. Zero play.

I did have to loc-tite the pivot screw to keep it that way.

It's a great model. I've owned 3 XL's and 2 C95's and none had blade play issues besides a mild vertical rock on the C95 backlock.
:unicorn
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

I've never had side to side blade play in mine, but sadly, it came with minor, albeit noticeable vertical blade play. I eventually was able to almost completely eliminate the vertical play, by filing the blade tang, and the interface of the backspacer/stop flat. A ceramic ball also helped.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Think about it: there doesn't need to be a screw (where the Manix 2 has one) if the pivot is adjusted right. Note that the XL - compared to the Manix 2 - has an additional scale screw and standoff where it matters, closer to the lanyard tube (that in the Manix 2 holds the scales together simply by friction with G10).

All three of my XLs have no play, can be flicked and dropped shut. It's a great knife, and I can't wait for the 4V exclusive that Sal mentioned in the other thread.

Roland.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have the XL in s30v and s90v, and neither of my examples have any blade play. I've abused the s90v (batoning, chopping, etc) and it remains 100% solid.

Pancake, where did you read about blade play? I'd be interested to read what people have experienced, if you can PM me with a link. Thanks!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Thank you guys for your responses.
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:21 am
I have the XL in s30v and s90v, and neither of my examples have any blade play. I've abused the s90v (batoning, chopping, etc) and it remains 100% solid.

Pancake, where did you read about blade play? I'd be interested to read what people have experienced, if you can PM me with a link. Thanks!
I send you a PM, this info about blade play came up when I was looking for info about XL.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:51 pm
I have handled a new one back a few years ago that had noticeable side to side blade play.
A lot of new knives come with side to side play. Tighten the pivot and it's gone.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

DukeNiemand wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 am
I've never had side to side blade play in mine, but sadly, it came with minor, albeit noticeable vertical blade play. I eventually was able to almost completely eliminate the vertical play, by filing the blade tang, and the interface of the backspacer/stop flat. A ceramic ball also helped.
Hi Duke, how did you fill the tang? Thanks!
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 am
DukeNiemand wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 am
Hi Duke, how did you fill the tang? Thanks!
I filed it down with some diamond benchstones, and finished on an UF rod. I noticed that the ball had cut a groove/divot into the lock interface on the blade. I ground that until it was nice and flat and now the blade play is only barely noticeable.