Patina question.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Patina question.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm
Rust and patina are not one and the same thing. Rust pitts and flakes off exposing fresh steel which is what makes it so destructive. Patina is more like staining. It doesn't pit the steel, and it doesn't flake off.
Gun bluing is essentially applying a patina is it not? I don't think anyone would call a well-blued gun barrel rusty.

Not trying to be argumentative. Just a little surprised to see this comparison made given the obvious differences.
I don't take this as being argumentative. I often wish I was a skilled enough writer to disagree with someone without having it come across badly and it sometimes works for me:) Sometimes not though.

Anyways, I am aware of the difference and have hot and cold blued firearms and knives myself for decades now. My favorite rifle finish is a nice deep glossy blued quality finish on a Mauser or Winchester action. Even the high quality blue finishes won't really prevent rusting and I've had hand/finger prints etch into rifles within a half hour here in the summertime. They need to be kept as covered in oil as any unblued knife I've ever had. When sweating and out in the heat adding layers or grease and or gun oil is pretty unpleasant to me which is why I began using wax. It's less slimy.

We pretty much all have developed our own preferences and techniques suited to our own needs. Mine quite honestly might be completely unsuited to you for any number of reasons but it's what I do .

Joe
Since the Deep South has a lot of cold rain during deer season, we would coat our blued rifles with wax to repel the rain and effects of moisture. It’s a good solution. Since I use my knives for cutting food, I want something food safe on my blades. A food grade wax would be just the ticket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anycal

Re: Patina question.

Post by anycal »

I take it back. There is still some color to be had on an old patina. As long as you wipe it down with alcohol (99%) to remove any oil, it will still show some blue,

Peter