POLL: Choking up on Ricasso or even edge - who does it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Choking up on Ricasso or even edge - who does it? (You may choose SEVERAL options!)

I almost never grab the knife on the blade in any way (so I not even use a dedicated choil)
6%
I only choke up on a dedicated fingerchoil, never on a (Endura-style) Ricasso or even the actual edge
17%
I sometimes choke up on a (Endura-style) Ricasso but find it uncomfortable, never on the edge
7%
I sometimes choke up both on Ricasso or edge, but find both uncomfortable
2%
I frequently choke up comfortably on a Ricasso just like on a choil but never on the actual edge
16%
I frequently choke up comfortably on both Ricasso and/or actual edge, no problem
8%
I sometimes grab the knife on the blade in some other way (pinch grip and so on)
33%
I frequently grab the knife on the blade in some other way
10%

Total votes: 86

Wartstein

Re: POLL: Choking up on Ricasso or even edge - who does it?

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:01 am

So: Please don't generally condemn things you obviously never tried for yourself. An approach like this is one of the reasons for silly knifelaws in many places.
Oh come on. You can't compare silly knife laws to us saying people shouldn't grab a knife by the edge. Wow :rolleyes:

You say a sharp edge won't cut unless there's a slicing motion, but there is always a very real chance for a knife slipping a little. It's why people like the highly textured FRN bi-directional grip. It's why many people like the textured g-10 over smooth g-10. Because knives can slip. And if you have one of your fingers on the edge itself... :eek: This seems more like a peeing contest of who can do the most dangerous thing with a knife "safely".

All I'm saying is advertising a potentially dangerous knife "trick" as a viable grip can definitely lead to people getting cut if they try it.
It´s not that I am offended by your reply, really not, but rather a bit surprised how imprecisely and mispresented you´re quoting me
Also surprised, which motives for me discussing this topic you obviously assume.

I never "compared silly knife laws to you saying people should not grab a knife by the edge".
WHAT I actually said is: GENERALLY the appraoch to a priori say certain things were stupid and dangerous, without obviously knowing what you´re talking about out of own experience ( and again: Even in this poll more than 10 % of voters actually DO this "stupid thing", the majority of those frequently and comfortably) - that approach GENERALLY is also one that can lead to enacting "silly" knife laws by people who most likely don´t have personal, real experience with the matter.

I really have no idea why you´re comparing the discussion of a viable and really not unsafe technique (if you know what you are doing), used by myself for many years without ANY problem whatsoever and obviously also by quite a few other experienced knife users to a "peeing contest" and call it a "knife trick". That´s rather childish imho. And most likely you just talking about things you don´t do and know by yourself.

And your "highly textured grip" example misses the point. Sure a grippy handle is a good idea generally and for many tasks. But choking up on the edge in a controlled manner for tasks, where this makes sense is really safe, usefull and in THIS certain tasks better suited than grabbing the knife on the grippy handle.
Knives DON`T slip when doing such tasks choked up on the blade. And I know that and what I am talking about, cause I´ve done it more than a thousand times. Without ANY problem.
Really, the risk that a comp. lock knife opens in the pocket and you get cut is higher than getting cut when choking up on the edge when this is suitable for the task.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)