SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by Wartstein »

JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 am
Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. I couldn't decide... So I got two. I ordered a SE Native 5 in Magnacut and a SE Endela in K390. I put a Delica VG10 on my Christmas wish list.

I think I'm becoming a collector.

*Edit for bad spelling

Any updates on how you´re liking the knives in general and SE in particular?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I finished profiling my K390 Endura scallops at 15 degrees about a week ago, then refined it on the brown rods. It is now a hungry blade.

While the serrations on my VG-10 Endela became very rounded by this same reprofiling process, the K390 responded very differently. From the back it’s hard to see much difference from the original condition, despite my having reached the edge everywhere along the blade. The factory grind lines are completely erased in the scallops and on the points and it’ll push cut printer paper in every scallop. I was actually hoping for a more rounded geometry than I got, but it’s okay. It is a wicked cutter.
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:26 pm
An interesting thing happened. The Endela has dominated my pocket since I purchased it. Right now I am rotating between the Endela, Sage 5 LW, and a newly purchased SE Para 3. Even as I rotate, the Endela spends twice as much time in use than the other two. I love the Native but it just hasn't seen much action.

The Endela serrations are different from the Para 3 and the Native 5. Less aggressive. The k390 steel is top-notch, I am hoping they offer the Stretch 2 k390 in a serrated edge version. I don't see any difference in ease of use or maintenance in the SE, and I like knowing I have an aggressive shredder on hand if I need one. The only thing I've had to get used to is the way a chisel grind cuts to an angle instead of a straight line. Just have to compensate for it if I know I need a straight cut.

In the end, my collection grows and I'll end up with a mix of PE, SE, and CE knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JayHenMac wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:26 pm
An interesting thing happened. The Endela has dominated my pocket since I purchased it. Right now I am rotating between the Endela, Sage 5 LW, and a newly purchased SE Para 3. Even as I rotate, the Endela spends twice as much time in use than the other two. I love the Native but it just hasn't seen much action.

The Endela serrations are different from the Para 3 and the Native 5. Less aggressive. The k390 steel is top-notch, I am hoping they offer the Stretch 2 k390 in a serrated edge version. I don't see any difference in ease of use or maintenance in the SE, and I like knowing I have an aggressive shredder on hand if I need one. The only thing I've had to get used to is the way a chisel grind cuts to an angle instead of a straight line. Just have to compensate for it if I know I need a straight cut.

In the end, my collection grows and I'll end up with a mix of PE, SE, and CE knives.
Thanks for the reply! :smlling-eyes

Yes, there is a reason why I always recommend the Endela SE as a knife for getting into SE... it was the one that turned me into an SE guy, and it has the best serrations I personally have ever tried.

Plus: It´s just a real workhorse, sturdy, but still light, with a roomy handle, and that for a very good price
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:48 am
Thanks for the reply! :smlling-eyes

Yes, there is a reason why I always recommend the Endela SE as a knife for getting into SE... it was the one that turned me into an SE guy, and it has the best serrations I personally have ever tried.

Plus: It´s just a real workhorse, sturdy, but still light, with a roomy handle, and that for a very good price
Exactly!

I have a friend who is in love with another brand of knives. I'll not mention it here *cough *cough *butterfly *cough.

I was telling him that the Endela, particularly SE, is like a Honda Accord, a Glock 19, or a Craftsman screwdriver. It does what it's meant to do and it does it so well that no one talks about it. It does it for such a long time that you forget you have it. It doesn't break or fail so it gets no attention. You only think about it when it's not around and you need it. The design is not new or groundbreaking, and for that, it simply works. It's too busy out there getting stuff done and taking names that it forgets to compete in beauty contests or appear in Instagram photos. I would bet that while many of us knife nerds are taking pictures of our fancy super steels and titanium scales, the Endella (and Delica and Endura) are actually in our pockets getting used. Heck, right now I'm fidgeting with an amazing Sage 5 Carbon Fiber while my newly beloved Endela is in my pocket waiting for its next task.

I pointed out to my friend that my SE k390 Endela with trusty back lock will out-perform his butterfly logo'd premium scaled m390 that cost twice as much. We laughed and then stabbed each other to prove who had a better knife. We both lost.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JayHenMac wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:40 am
We laughed and then stabbed each other to prove who had a better knife. We both lost.

😆
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:00 pm
JayHenMac wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 am
Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. I couldn't decide... So I got two. I ordered a SE Native 5 in Magnacut and a SE Endela in K390. I put a Delica VG10 on my Christmas wish list.

I think I'm becoming a collector.

*Edit for bad spelling
Certainly good choices, but just to be clear:

My recommendation always is the VG10 Endela SE.

Of that one I know it is great from my own extensive experience, while I have none with the K390 version (especially how hard teeth in that hard steel are to sharpen).

Good advice. For some (hidden for me) reason, VG10 behaves very well in spyderedge. My VG10 wharnie Delica in spyderedge is my go to allarounder and it just performs.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
shane1

Post by shane1 »

Anyone have any feedback on the Police 4 LW K390? Trying to decide between the plain and serrated edge.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

shane1 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:10 pm
Anyone have any feedback on the Police 4 LW K390? Trying to decide between the plain and serrated edge.

Shane, I just replied in the other thread. I'll not go into he whole thing again, other than to reiterate "A serrated edge adds more 'cut' to your blade." It's like putting it on steroids... or doping... or bribing the judges. If you don't have any serrated blades, you owe it to yourself to check it out. The only caveat I can think of is that you will need a Sharpmaker to keep the edge nice. Regular flat stones won't do it for you.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:06 pm
shane1 wrote:

Shane, I just replied in the other thread. I'll not go into he whole thing again, other than to reiterate "A serrated edge adds more 'cut' to your blade." It's like putting it on steroids... or doping... or bribing the judges. If you don't have any serrated blades, you owe it to yourself to check it out. The only caveat I can think of is that you will need a Sharpmaker to keep the edge nice. Regular flat stones won't do it for you.
☝️☝️☝️👊👊👊
shane1

Post by shane1 »

RustyIron wrote:
shane1 wrote:

Thank!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I find SE easier to keep sharp, and it cuts better for me. Easy choice.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:04 am
I find SE easier to keep sharp, and it cuts better for me. Easy choice.

Agreed.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:19 pm
RustyIron wrote:
shane1 wrote:

☝️☝️☝️👊👊👊
:index-finger :index-finger :index-finger :fist-bump :fist-bump :fist-bump ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

shane1 wrote:
PE works better for me. I briefly had a full SE Police and sold it in favor of keeping my PE's.
:unicorn
R100

Post by R100 »

shane1 wrote:
I got one when they were discounted and I love it. The edge is >15° and <20° and it sharpens easily on the white rods of the Sharpmaker. The edge is quite thin and it cuts brilliantly. I'm very pleased with it and am loving K390 in SE despite my original fears. It's an absolute bargain at present.

Dan
R100

Post by R100 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:21 am
shane1 wrote:
PE works better for me. I briefly had a full SE Police and sold it in favor of keeping my PE's.
One thing SE is definitely superior for is cutting grass. I have a small farm in a warm, high rainfall area with lots of a really big vigorous tussock grass. In the little areas too close to the fruit trees in my orchard to slash or brushcut the long serrated blade of the P4 is excellent and keeps cutting long after my coarse edge K390 PE P4 has given up. This grass - a Setaria - has a high Silica content which destroys sharp edges quickly, even very coarse ones.

Dan
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

shane1 wrote:
The SE P4LW is the best deal on a knife I’ve ever had. I like PE k390, but the SE is also excellent, especially with a coarser finish for dirty jobs. I don’t rate it as highly for flensing cardboard or cutting rags, but for everything else I’ve done with it it’s awesome.

Dare I say it… OK I WILL! It’s like a pocket chainsaw 😉
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Had a bit of a brainwave earlier and installed my galley V into my chainsaw vice. It was the work of a few seconds to tilt it down on the left side so it became 15 degrees from vertical on the serration side rod (just placed my sharpmaker with a rod in it in front of the galley v rod and matched the angles). Works a dream!
Attachments
IMG_1198.jpeg
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
olywa

Post by olywa »

Clever! I'm going to have to give that a go.