Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Re: Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I'm joining in to say BD1. I only have one knife with it, a Manix lightweight, but that thing sharpens razor sharp so easily and the rust resistance is great.
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

I must've bought into the negative hype as I find myself moving right past any knife with VG-10 even though my old Caly Jr. with that steel was a slicing beast and a real joy to use. Maybe it's time to rethink things.

As for ZDP-189 it's still one my favorites, especially on a small knife. My DF2 in that steel is still on the factory edge even after years of use, including a few long stretches where it was the only knife I carried. Granted it's not a hard use tool in my hands but the fact that a bit of stropping has kept it super sharp for so long kind of makes ease of sharpening a non-issue for me.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'm assuming since m2 disappeared as a knife steel some 15 years ago, it is unpopular.
It's my favorite. Although the data sheets say otherwise, my use has shown it to be just as tough as m4, with better edge holding.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 am
What's your o1 folder? I'd like one. GEC used to make their sodbuster in o1. Wish I had one.
Yessir, they made both slippie and one lockback model in O1. I have both and really enjoy them. I like O1 better than 1095 if it's done very well. I do like 1095 though and the old Schrade USA Old Timers were pretty much what made me like a carbon steel for my uses over most of the stainless knives of the early 70's on. The carbon steel sharpened so easier compared to some of the junk stainless that was in my price range then. Knives were under $5 tools for me then . I couldn't even afford Buck and Case knives. :)
Ahh nice. I figured it was the Bullnose. I do like O1 myself. The O1 I have from Battlehorse Knives is exceptional. I do think it is generally better than 1095 too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

O1 is one of those steels that seems to want to get sharp. It's so easy to get a great edge on that steel.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:40 pm
O1 is one of those steels that seems to want to get sharp. It's so easy to get a great edge on that steel.
I wish I had O1 when I started sharpening. I'd have had a major confidence boost.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:40 pm
What I've found interesting about "0-1" is that so many hobbiest and custom knife makers really seem to like that steel for outdoor, bushcraft and hunting knives. Even Spyderco used it in their Bushcraft fixed blade. It seems like a lot of those veteran and amateur knifemakers both tend to like those tool steels for their creations.

However I do feel that the overall game is changing with so many of the newer supersteels being used successfully. There also seems to be a resurgence of 1095 and 5160 in the past 3 years or so. Also I've been told that with many tool steels like 0-1 and -D-2 that heat treating and knowing how to do it properly is what determines how good of service you'll get from the blade over the years.
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

S30V and VG-10 are steels I love even though they've fallen out of fashion.

A2 is pretty uncommon but I've loved it on a couple of LT Wright knives I've had.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I like O1, A2, and 1095. They may be unpopular here, but they are hardly unpopular.

However, I do believe LT Wright’s offering of O1 and A2, and ESEE’s offering of 1095 are exceptionally good, owing to their heat-treatment protocols, and thus, by definition, are not popular.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ferider

Post by ferider »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 am
It's been a long time since I seen one of the original, first run Chinook models.
Good morning, JD.

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I do believe LT Wright’s offering of O1 and A2, and ESEE’s offering of 1095 are exceptionally good, owing to their heat-treatment protocols, and thus, by definition, are not popular.
Absolutely! I have also had good luck with the fairly inexpensive "Battlehorse" brand knives in O1. I also like the selection of grip materials and flat or scandi grind. I haven't tried their version of A2 yet though.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ferider wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:45 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 am
It's been a long time since I seen one of the original, first run Chinook models.
Good morning, JD.
Hey thanks for sharing that pic of the original 440V Chinook with us. Yeah the older one did have a swedge on the spine whereas the Chinook III which was my fav didn't have that feature. I would have loved to have had one of those original 440V Chinook models with a full Spyderedge. I often wondered why they didn't at least put out a few of them in SE.

But that is a handsome beast needless to say.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Igi964 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 am
8Cr13Mov especially on Bow River. It holds the edge better than VG10 on my Delica. Sharpening response is unbeliveble. Like some carbon steel.
You should try it on the Byrd hawkbill. That knife rips. The serration depth, spacing, curve, and ease of sharpening. Most underrated Spyderco knife.
Justin
vivi

Post by vivi »

double post.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:12 am
I do believe LT Wright’s offering of O1 and A2, and ESEE’s offering of 1095 are exceptionally good, owing to their heat-treatment protocols, and thus, by definition, are not popular.
Absolutely! I have also had good luck with the fairly inexpensive "Battlehorse" brand knives in O1. I also like the selection of grip materials and flat or scandi grind. I haven't tried their version of A2 yet though.

Joe
I have some A2 knives heat treated by the same guy who does the HT on LT Wright knives. You can borrow one if you'd like.

A2 is one of my favorite fixed blade steels. For me it seems like 1095 with better edge retention. I think the guy who does the heat treat (Peters from PA) gets them to 61 rc if I remember correctly. Feels different sharpening them VS my 1095 ESEE's.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

crazywednesday wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:40 pm
Igi964 wrote:
8Cr13Mov especially on Bow River. It holds the edge better than VG10 on my Delica. Sharpening response is unbeliveble. Like some carbon steel.
You should try it on the Byrd hawkbill. That knife rips. The serration depth, spacing, curve, and ease of sharpening. Most underrated Spyderco knife.
I've yet to own any of the Byrd knives because I just like Spyderco's top of the line stuff so much better. I do own some Byrd sharpening equipment but no knives. I've been tempted to get a Crossbill but my love for the Harpy, Tasman and Merlin just keep me from it. Not to mention the great Spyderhawk models. But I will try to get a used Crossbill in a trade at some point. I'm hoping a lot that the G-10 Harpy will return at some point. I do like the blade geometry on the Crossbill because it reminds me a lot of the design of the Superhawk.

I'm hoping that Spyderco will soon take their Hawkbills to a higher level. I think it's high time for a Sprint Run Harpy or Spyderhawk with one of the Supersteels. I would love an M390 or XHP Hawkbill in Full SE.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I still have fond feelings for 154CM and CPM 154 -- an underappreciated steel that serves me well.

Consider the RWL-34 mule if this steel makes you happy.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Igi964 wrote:
I've yet to own any of the Byrd knives because I just like Spyderco's top of the line stuff so much better. I do own some Byrd sharpening equipment but no knives. I've been tempted to get a Crossbill but my love for the Harpy, Tasman and Merlin just keep me from it. Not to mention the great Spyderhawk models. But I will try to get a used Crossbill in a trade at some point. I'm hoping a lot that the G-10 Harpy will return at some point. I do like the blade geometry on the Crossbill because it reminds me a lot of the design of the Superhawk.

I'm hoping that Spyderco will soon take their Hawkbills to a higher level.
I know how much you love your premium hawkbills and it deters you from the Byrd version. It's too bad Spyderco didn't make "that knife" in their premium line up. The ergos are perfect for pull cuts. I think it would have been quite popular amongst the hawkbills fans.
Justin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

crazywednesday wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:59 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Igi964 wrote:

I'm hoping that Spyderco will soon take their Hawkbills to a higher level.
I know how much you love your premium hawkbills and it deters you from the Byrd version. It's too bad Spyderco didn't make "that knife" in their premium line up. The ergos are perfect for pull cuts. I think it would have been quite popular amongst the hawkbills fans.
I think they are $23. I've seen lunches more expensive. You really should give it a shot.
Justin
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:12 am

Joe
I have some A2 knives heat treated by the same guy who does the HT on LT Wright knives. You can borrow one if you'd like.

A2 is one of my favorite fixed blade steels. For me it seems like 1095 with better edge retention. I think the guy who does the heat treat (Peters from PA) gets them to 61 rc if I remember correctly. Feels different sharpening them VS my 1095 ESEE's.
Agreed. That a2 sharpens nicer and is easier to debur, in my experience. Also, it seems to get sharper but that's probs just my mind (LTW A2 from Peter's vs GEC 1095 from Peter's). I also really don't need to sharpen LTW's A2 often at all. This is the main reason why I haven't purchased a 3v LTW. I just don't feel the need for the upcharge.